Mallee Hwy

Old December 5th 04, 01:58 PM
Gerd

Default Mallee Hwy

I'm from Holland and planning a bicycle-holiday through Australia next
year. I would like to go from Adelaide - via Kangaroo Island - to
Murray Sunset NP and Wyperfeld NP. That means cycling on the Mallee
Hwy for 3 or 4 days. According to my map there are hardly any
alternatives (except the big detour via Renmark and Mildura) or
backroads. That's why, I would like to know beforehand wether Mallee
Hwy is a busy road or not? I will be there in april 2005.

Gerd
Old December 5th 04, 02:45 PM
James

Gerd wrote:

I'm from Holland and planning a bicycle-holiday through Australia next
year. I would like to go from Adelaide - via Kangaroo Island - to
Murray Sunset NP and Wyperfeld NP. That means cycling on the Mallee
Hwy for 3 or 4 days. According to my map there are hardly any
alternatives (except the big detour via Renmark and Mildura) or
backroads. That's why, I would like to know beforehand wether Mallee
Hwy is a busy road or not? I will be there in april 2005.

Gerd

It is not that busy but plenty of B doubles use it, as there are not
many police active along it and it is the shortest way to Sydney. The
road is rough in places, and there is not much of a shoulder for bikes,
and it is probably falling apart in places. Most cars cruise at 130 -
140 kmph on the SA side, and also into Victoria.