"Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

Old June 20th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

Default "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:59:20 -0700, cc wrote:

Mike, I am stating my opinion.
My interpretation of the
facts. I am being honest, and
I think you are wrong. Get
it straight, idiot. At least
when I state my OPINION I am
clear about it. That is a
requisite of science.
Something which you clearly
know nothing about.

That last sentence is an ASSERTION OF FACT that is FALSE. That is
known as a "lie". You didn't say it was an opinion. So, no, you are
NOT honest, nor do you know anything about science.

You mean the same "lie" that you use to reference the knowledge or
comrehension skills of the "average mountain biker"? Why can you make a
blanket statement about someone's credentials, but someone else can not make
that same statement concerning you? Your "PhD" does not give you some sort
of license on knowledge or information. Hell - Its not even in the field you
claim to be an "expert" in! Your OPINION that you are an "expert" is not a
filter to determine the validity of anyone else's opinions or statements.

Old June 20th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

"S Curtiss" wrote in message

[newswgroups trimmed]

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:O7ydnesHu7fefQnZnZ2dnUVZ_oSdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

My point of view from the outset has been that I do not want to share
hiking trails with bikers. For me it all has to do with the different
mental attitudes that the two groups bring to recreation in the out of
doors. These attitudes are not reconcilable. They are as different as
night and day. That is the MAIN reason I do not want bikers on hiking
trails. I do not believe I can say it any clearer than that.

So why not just say that? Why all this "my sacred trails" and mysticism
and pure souls and such? You have the option of hiking in many places
without bikes. You also have the knowledge that shared use areas may
have cyclists. Choose your environment.

My main point which I like to make over and over is that bikers and
hikers do not get along at all well on hiking trails. It does not have so
much to do with impacts on the trail itself or even on wildlife, but
rather on the kind of attitudes we bring to nature and to wilderness.

"We" bring...? Don't you mean "you" bring. I've seen many trails... Not
one has a voting booth to select you as a spokesman.

I have noticed mountain bikers like to travel in groups and are into fun
and games for the most part. They treat nature like it is a playground.
We hikers are not constituted that way. The fact that you have so little
grasp of the hiker mentality tells me all I will ever have to know about
you. I called you soulless once before and I meant it.

You can no more speak for "hikers" as a group as you can for "mountain
bikers". Each individual has their motives. Again, I do not recall a vote
to elect you as a spokesman for anyone but yourself. You are trying to
portray all persons who take a walk in the woods to have the same motives
as you. Nonsense.
Besides, I have a grasp on your motives and mentality, I just do not
accept that is the same for everyone who hikes.

Curtiss, I would like you and Vandeman to trim the following newsgroups from
your posts:

rec.bicycles.misc, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

All you need do is just delete the above groups from the headers of your
posts. It is very simple to do and only takes a second.

It is now apparent to me that we there is no one on the above two groups who
are interested in the slightest with your ongoing war. I will continue to
monitor rec.bicycles.soc and that group along with alt.mountain-bike go
together. I will NOT however monitor alt.mountain-bike because I consider
everyone there to be an idiot. However, I will see your posts and Vandeman's
posts on rec.bicycles.soc and can respond from that group if I so choose.
The important thing is to eliminate rec.bicycles.misc and
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent from your posts.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 20th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
:

"S Curtiss" wrote in message

[...]

We all feel you are an idiot, but yet we still continue to post to you.

Old June 20th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc

Default Trimming Newsgroups Please was "Mountain biking ...

"Chris Foster" wrote in message
05.47...

[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Curtiss [and others], I would like you and Vandeman to trim the following
newsgroups from your posts:

rec.bicycles.misc, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

All you need do is just delete the above groups from the headers of
your posts. It is very simple to do and only takes a second.

It is now apparent to me that we there is no one on the above two
groups who are interested in the slightest with your ongoing war. I
will continue to monitor rec.bicycles.soc and that group along with
alt.mountain-bike go together. I will NOT however monitor
alt.mountain-bike because I consider everyone there to be an idiot.

We all feel you are an idiot, but yet we still continue to post to you.

These mountain bike threads can continue to be posted to RBS where we can
see them and reply to them if we so choose.

My main newsgroup will be ARBR and to a much lesser degree RBS and RBM.
However, these threads having to do with mountain bikes on hiking trails
should no longer be posted to ARBR and RBM as there is no one on these two
groups that is interested in the subject and consequently those threads are
not wanted.

By the way, everyone in the entire world knows that Ed Dolan the Great is
not an idiot, but it is lots of fun for him to pretend to be an idiot from
time to time. He does this for the amusement and edification of all the real
idiots who infest these newsgroups like the pox.

Old June 21st 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

On 20 Jun 2006 15:06:41 GMT, Chris Foster
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote in
:

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:41:01 -0700, SMS
wrote:

S Curtiss wrote:

I have noticed mountain bikers like to travel in groups and are
into fun and games for the most part. They treat nature like it is
a playground. We hikers are not constituted that way. The fact that
you have so little grasp of the hiker mentality tells me all I will
ever have to know about you. I called you soulless once before and
I meant it.

You can no more speak for "hikers" as a group as you can for
"mountain bikers". Each individual has their motives. Again, I do
not recall a vote to elect you as a spokesman for anyone but
yourself. You are trying to portray all persons who take a walk in
the woods to have the same motives as you.

At least in my area, it's the hikers that tend to travel in large
groups. I've seen groups of more than 50 hikers up on Mount Tam, when
the Sierra Club singles group has one of their larger hikes, and I've
been on some of those hikes when I was single. Not much solitude.

Mountain bikers tend to either be alone, or in a group of two to four
people. I live close to a large open space preserve that is open to
mountain bikes, and this is what I have observed. Also, the hikers
tend to be much noisier, because they are close enough to each other
to engage in conversations, while the mountain bikers are riding
without talking.

There are plenty of places to hike where mountain bikes are
prohibited,

It SOUNDS good, but I have never been on a hiking trail that didn't
have mountain bike tracks on it from illegal mountain biking. And, no,
it is NOT just A FEW bad apples. There are plenty to go around....

I have, plenty of them. I have NEVER seen mountain bike tracks in RMNP.

Good.

but rarely will you find solitude until you're very far from the trail
head.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

"S Curtiss" wrote in message

[...]

WTF... Why did you add them in the first place? I never did... I hit
reply and send. If you want to change usenet and broaden discussion, then
say something interesting! But do NOT come to me to fix your blunder. I read
your silly apologetic drivel about making ARBR more lively... You were
surprised about the focused interest in the NGs? Why do you thing they have
different titles? Hanging with Vandeman has dumbed you down, dude!

rec.bicycles.misc, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

All you need do is just delete the above groups from the headers of your
posts. It is very simple to do and only takes a second.

It is now apparent to me that we there is no one on the above two groups
who are interested in the slightest with your ongoing war. I will continue
to monitor rec.bicycles.soc and that group along with alt.mountain-bike go
together. I will NOT however monitor alt.mountain-bike because I consider
everyone there to be an idiot.

....that was, however, smart enough to not post mountain bike topics to ARBR

However, I will see your posts and Vandeman's
posts on rec.bicycles.soc and can respond from that group if I so choose.
The important thing is to eliminate rec.bicycles.misc and
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent from your posts.

Have at it. You made the mess - You clean it up. And I'll enjoy watching the
"not so great" Conan the Librarian push the broom.

Old June 22nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default To the Death was "Mountain biking ...

"di" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:L5KdnYq2zOChUgTZnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@prairiewave. com...

[...]
The one and only thing his like ever understands is a good swift kick in
the ass. That is what I am here for.

Like I've said before, name the time and place.

I suggest dueling pistols at dawn down by the riverside on the banks of the
Ohio. I will try to get Tom Sherman to be my second, but he has made himself
scarce of late and I don't know if I can find him. No doubt, you have some
scofflaws you could spare who could be my second if I am unable to get Tom
Sherman.

It is extremely important that all of this be done with the utmost honor, as
that is the only thing that matters to me at my present stage of life. I
will expect you to be dressed in your best formal attire as will I. I think
10 paces will be about right as my eyesight is not what it used to be. I
think we should also use black powder firearms in order to enhance the
dignity of the occasion. I will go down to the local pawn shop and see what
I can find.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"cc" wrote in message ...
Edward Dolan wrote:
"di" wrote in message

[...]

Ok, Ed. That's funny. You're not much of an arguer, but you are a decent
clown.

At last ... someone to appreciate me! We clowns are desperate for a little
feed back from time to time. Instead all I get from these freaking
newsgroups are serious types who take me seriously. Of course, sometimes I
am serious, but mostly I am not. It is really strange how so many do not
seem to know how to read me. However, it may be my fault. I will have to
work on my writing skills more.

Old June 22nd 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:57:36 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

"di" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:L5KdnYq2zOChUgTZnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@prairiewave. com...

[...]
The one and only thing his like ever understands is a good swift kick in
the ass. That is what I am here for.

Like I've said before, name the time and place.

I suggest dueling pistols at dawn down by the riverside on the banks of the
Ohio. I will try to get Tom Sherman to be my second, but he has made himself
scarce of late and I don't know if I can find him. No doubt, you have some
scofflaws you could spare who could be my second if I am unable to get Tom
Sherman.

It is extremely important that all of this be done with the utmost honor,

Please don't ever use "honor" and "mountain biker" in the same
sentence. I don't want to gag.

Old June 22nd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
It is extremely important that all of this be done with the utmost honor,

Please don't ever use "honor" and "mountain biker" in the same
sentence. I don't want to gag.

You should be used to it - after choking out your nonsense for years.
Your OPINION of off-road cycling is not a filter for determining the
character of those involved.