The old shoe fit question

Old April 12th 04, 11:29 PM
Russell Seaton

Default The old shoe fit question

Long ago I bought some all leather laced Duegi shoes. They were too
small. My toes touched the end of the shoe. But I used them for
maybe 10 years and many thousands of miles. In about 1998 I bought
some expensive leather/mesh Carnac road shoes. What a revelation to
have comfortable cycling shoes. Now when I finish a ride, I don't
immediately rip my shoes off to free my feet. I still take the shoes
off and put on the sneakers right away but its not because my feet are
aching. The Carnac shoes fit somewhat like my sneakers for toe room
and such. They are comfortable. I've also purchased some Carnac
mountain bike shoes since discovering the wonderful fit of Carnac
shoes.

"RkFast" wrote in message ...
Just had my LBS size me to a new set of Sidi Dominators. The long and short
of it is that he wedged me in to a set of shoes where my toes are allllll
cramped up in the front of the shoe. All of my toes are pressed up against
the front of the shoe....and the guy at my LBS insists that this is a
correct fit. OK, I know that cyclings shoes need to be a little tight...but
this cant be right....can it? I went to another LBS and tried a full size up
and Im much more comfortable. Much more room for the toes...my big toe isnt
even touching the front of the shoe, and when I grab the back or walk in the
shoes, there is barely any heel movement...virtually none....and much less
than the AXOs Im ditching.

So...the question is....how much room in the front are you supposed to have?
Should there be any "wiggle room" or are cycling shoes to be fit very tight?

Old April 13th 04, 01:05 AM
Douglas Landau

I read that they should in fact be on the loose side because your feet
are going to swell up while riding.

dkl

Old April 13th 04, 06:31 AM
rocketman58

On a side note: who makes a size 8.5 EEE SPD MTB shoe? Where can I
get a good deal on a pair? Thanks.
Old April 13th 04, 05:58 PM
andres muro

Shoes should feel snug on the heel and along the instep. In other
words, the heel shouldn't pull out and the foot should not be dancing
around. The toes should be able to wiggle freely, not be cramped from
the sides, nor touching the front. Remember, when you ride, your foot
will expand, so you ought to leave room for this. After hours of
riding in the heat and putting pressure in your shoes, they'll get
hot, tired and sometimes slightly numb. You will want to wiggle your
toes up and down to stretch your foot a little.
People have different shapes of feet. So you want to find shoes that
properly hold your heel, is snug along the instep and arch, and is
wide enough for your toes. Contrary to popular belief the length is
not that important as long as the shoe meets the first two
requirements. I have lots running shoes that have a ton of room at
front, more than the recommended thumb. However, since the shoe feels
snug everywhere else, they are fine.

Andres

Old April 14th 04, 05:36 AM
Jeff Starr

Default Newbie question: The old shoe fit question

"SmartyPants" wrote in message . ..
Can any company's cleats (correct term?) be added to any bike shoe or do you
purchase the bike pedal shaft attachment after deciding which bike shoe fits
best? Thanks.

Hi, usually people select the type of pedal they want to use and then
buy the type of shoe that the cleats will fit on. That said, most
shoes made whether road or mtb, are compatable with a SPD type of
cleat. The SPD cleat has two holes, here is an example of a SPD cleat:
http://cambriabike.com/pedals/shiman..._pedal_set.htm
One advantage of this style of cleat, is that you can use with a mtb
shoe that has a recessed area for the cleat. This makes walking
possible with that type of shoe and cleat.
Road shoes have no recessed area and with any cleat, you will not be
able to walk very effectively. With Look style cleats, I waddle like a
duck. Here are some various road cleats:
http://cambriabike.com/road/pedals/pedal_cleats.htm
So, to summarize, mtb shoes are usually limited to SPD two bolt style
cleats. Road shoes, can usually be used with all types of cleats.
Although adapters are sometimes needed to mount the various cleats.
Here are some mtb shoes:
http://cambriabike.com/shoes/shoes.htm
And here are the road shoes:
http://cambriabike.com/road/shoes/index.htm

For a newcomer to clipless pedals, I recommend Shimano PD-M324:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...579&TextMode=0
These are clipless on one side and platform on the other. They give
you a choice of not using the clips in tense situations, while
learning. I have a set on my secondary bike. I use Shimano Ultegra
SPD-SL pedals on my main bike.
I hope this helps.
Life is Good!
Jeff
Old April 14th 04, 01:04 PM
Cipher

Rocketman58 [/i]
who makes a size 8.5 EEE SPD MTB shoe?[/quote]

I think Shimano has come out with shoes in wider widths this year. (You might want to start there).

[quote][i]Originally posted by Rocketman58 wrote:
Finding a good deal on a pair?

Priceless! :

-

Old April 14th 04, 01:21 PM
Peter Cole

"rocketman58" wrote in message
om...
On a side note: who makes a size 8.5 EEE SPD MTB shoe? Where can I
get a good deal on a pair? Thanks.

Try Sidi "Mega", they're the widest I know of. Good deals are scarce on them,
though.

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Sidi shoe gaskets Mike Lackey Techniques 1 November 3rd 03 02:45 AM
Sidi shoe question FlashSteve General 1 September 5th 03 01:36 PM
Question regading shoe fit Steve + Laura Techniques 1 July 22nd 03 10:20 PM
A good casual road shoe? Peter Cole Techniques 4 July 11th 03 12:11 AM