How Is Brake Reach Measured?

Old April 14th 04, 04:45 AM
Question Man

Default How Is Brake Reach Measured?

All -

How is brake reach measured?

I have an old steel frame, a Raliegh Olympian, I believe. It takes
27" wheels. I took it to a frambuilder to have the stamped rear
dropouts removed & adjustable ones with an intergrated rear derailleur
hanger installed. Now, however, the rear brakes that used to reach
the rim on the 27" wheel work only with a 700C wheel! If I use a 27"
wheel the brakes are too long.

The brakes I am using here are Mafac Racer centerpulls.

Part of this project was to use some 27" wheels I have on hand. I
really don't want to have to buy new 700C wheels -- in fact, if it
comes to that, I may scrap the whole project.

I see that Tektro (courtesy of biketoolsetc: )

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id=TK-420AR

(be careful, as the URL might wrap)

has some short reach brakes. Will these work with my 27" wheels?

(Keep in mind that I will have to use longer reach barkes on the
front, as those dropouts have not been modified.)

I'm sure I have left some crucial thing out...

Thanks!

Phil
Old April 14th 04, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Center of mounting hole to center of the rim.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 14th 04, 09:31 PM
Jeff Wills

Question Man wrote in message . ..
All -

How is brake reach measured?

snip
The brakes I am using here are Mafac Racer centerpulls.

Part of this project was to use some 27" wheels I have on hand. I
really don't want to have to buy new 700C wheels -- in fact, if it
comes to that, I may scrap the whole project.

snip

As Pete said, measure from the center of the brake hole to the center
of the rim's braking surface. In millimeters, that's the brake
caliper's reach.

Be somewhat careful- your old Mafac centerpulls are very long reach
compared to current brakes. Those Tektros may come out too *short*.
You may have to consider "long reach" calipers:
http://tinyurl.com/2md4x

Jeff