Yet another hit and run motorist.

Old May 21st 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Yet another hit and run motorist.

A very common occurrence but I just thought I'd mention this one in
passing, so to speak. No doubt some excuse will be found to blame the
vulnerable victim and excuse the motorist but failing to stop does
place them in a somewhat invidious position. Maybe though the cyclist
was not wearing a helmet or reflective vest and had no rear reflector
and had received no special training.

"A cyclist is seriously ill after he was struck in a hit and run in
Grangemouth.

The 37-year-old, from Larbert, was cycling on the Wholeflats Road in
the town when he was struck by a black Fiesta or similar vehicle on
Tuesday.

Central Scotland Police said he suffered multiple injuries and was in
a serious but stable condition in hospital..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/8060017.stm

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old May 21st 09, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On 21 May, 07:47, Doug wrote:
A very common occurrence but I just thought I'd mention this one in
passing, so to speak.

Not very common at all.

No doubt some excuse will be found to blame the
vulnerable victim and excuse the motorist

Please cite proof that anybody on this NG or others would blame the
cyclist, we don't know the full details, so how can you make a
judgement?

but failing to stop does
place them in a somewhat invidious position.

True, but it is possible (but unlikly) that the motorist did not know.

Maybe though the cyclist
was not wearing a helmet or reflective vest and had no rear reflector
and had received no special training.

Perhaps those points would have a bearing, but we do not know.

"A cyclist is seriously ill after he was struck in a hit and run in
Grangemouth.

The 37-year-old, from Larbert, was cycling on the Wholeflats Road in
the town when he was struck by a black Fiesta or similar vehicle on
Tuesday.

Central Scotland Police said he suffered multiple injuries and was in
a serious but stable condition in hospital..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/8060017.stm

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

I for one would not like to make a judgement until more facts are
known, but it does appear that the motorist is at fault (on the facts
given)

Francis
Old May 21st 09, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony

On Thu, 21 May 2009 00:39:56 -0700, francis wrote:

On 21 May, 07:47, Doug wrote:
A very common occurrence but I just thought I'd mention this one in
passing, so to speak.

Not very common at all.

No doubt some excuse will be found to blame the
vulnerable victim and excuse the motorist

Please cite proof that anybody on this NG or others would blame the
cyclist, we don't know the full details, so how can you make a judgement?

but failing to stop does
place them in a somewhat invidious position.

True, but it is possible (but unlikly) that the motorist did not know.

If you are driving a car and you are not aware that you struck a cyclist
then you should not be let lose in a vehicle of any description. That chap
wants finding and sorting out asap.

Old May 21st 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

'Not very common at all. '

1 in 6 of all cyclist collisions.
Old May 21st 09, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"spindrift" wrote in message
'Not very common at all. '

1 in 6 of all cyclist collisions.

I am surprised it is as low as that. I don't think many of the hit-n-runs
are intentional, it's just the combination of gutter cyclists and blinkered
cagers.

Old May 21st 09, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 21 May 2009 14:47:10 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
'Not very common at all. '

1 in 6 of all cyclist collisions.

^^^^ NUTTER PROPOGANDA^^^^

I am surprised it is as low as that. I don't think many of the hit-n-runs
are intentional, it's just the combination of gutter cyclists and blinkered
cagers.

^^^^ (more) NUTTER PROPOGANDA^^^^
Old May 21st 09, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
'Not very common at all. '

1 in 6 of all cyclist collisions.

^^^^ NUTTER PROPOGANDA^^^^

I am surprised it is as low as that. I don't think many of the hit-n-runs
are intentional, it's just the combination of gutter cyclists and blinkered
cagers.

^^^^ (more) NUTTER PROPOGANDA^^^^

1 in 6 cyclist accidents are hit and run.

National Audit Office:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...s-road-deaths-...

Shocking.

Last week:

19.05.09

A cyclist killed in a hit-and-run crash with a lorry was about to buy
a house and start a family, friends said today.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...run/article.do

Old May 21st 09, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

spindrift wrote:

A cyclist killed in a hit-and-run crash with a lorry was about to buy
a house

Well that's the credit crunch recovery scuppered.

Now, what are the details of the cyclist being killed?
Who was where doing what?
We can't make any valued comments without realistic info.

No, I'm not being callous, I've seen the result of a cyclist cocking it
up and ending up under a bus. Not pleasant and still, after four years,
a vivid memory.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old May 21st 09, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

' I've seen the result of a cyclist cocking it
up and ending up under a bus. Not pleasant and still, after four
years,
a vivid memory. '

Where did this happen please?

What was the cyclist's name?

There have been two cyclist/bus RTAs involving the death of the
cyclist in recent years, in both cases the driver was found guilty-
Vicky McCreery's killer went to prison, it happened near my office-
Blackfriars bridge.

What were the details of the death you say you saw?
Old May 21st 09, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote:

"spindrift" wrote in message
'Not very common at all. '

1 in 6 of all cyclist collisions.

^^^^ NUTTER PROPOGANDA^^^^

I am surprised it is as low as that. I don't think many of the hit-n-runs
are intentional, it's just the combination of gutter cyclists and
blinkered
cagers.

^^^^ (more) NUTTER PROPOGANDA^^^^

I think it is fair to say that the majority of cyclists quite innocently
ride in the gutter in the mistaken belief that they are being courteous to
faster traffic and that they are safer there.

I think it is also fair to say the majority of cagers tend to have tunnel
vision due to driving too fast. They are very good at spotting anything
directly in the path but not quite so good at spotting things in the gutter
or otherwise out of their range of tunnel vision.

Can anyone else offer a reason why 1 in 6 cyclist collisions are hit and
run? If Thaksin posts anything remotely sensible, please can someone re-post
it for me?

Another hit and run motorist Squashme UK 4 May 18th 09 05:18 PM
Are You Anti-Motorist? Nuxx Bar UK 15 July 9th 08 07:35 PM
Motorist, I'm manipulating you Tom Crispin UK 64 February 24th 06 09:53 AM
Motorist Jailed monsterman Australia 5 November 4th 05 04:36 AM
Yet another deadly motorist David Hansen UK 3 February 11th 05 11:21 AM