Really stupid

Old April 27th 21, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Really stupid

I got up this morning and didn't feel particularly great. felt like I had drank too much wine the previous evening. The coffee machine turned on and I ate some cereal before attacking the coffee. I got ready and left for a climbing ride. I was feeling really slow. I just was having a hard time holding 11 mph.

I got out a little over 5 miles and decided that I had to turn back. I stopped the Douglas and was going to turn it around when, looking down, I spotted that the rear quick release wasn't tight enough and the rear wheel had slid over and the rear tire was rubbing against the offside chain stay. Fixed that and started out again. Now I was really tired since I probably worked harder on those 5 miles than I usually do for the entire ride.

Hit the hard climbing and with not riding enough my heart rate for high enough I thought it get to stop and catch my breath. That took about a minute and I was off again. With Keo pedals I simply step into them from a stop though I always worry about missing it. Completed the rest of the climbing and finally got to the place where I have a strong downhill. I hit a bump and the handlebars rotated. Now this group complete with stem and handlebars had been installed on my Look KG585 which I had ridden pretty hard. So it appears that the aluminum Douglas it a good deal more rigid than that Look. So I had to stop and tear this funny flap pack open. It's held together with those tear away straps to it is almost more trouble than it is worth. Finally got the tool out, tightened the bars and figured out how to get that thing back on the bike.

Frank was saying that the pack and water bottle shouldn't weigh a lb and a half so I've been trying to take him at his word and have been getting progressively lighter saddle packs. But this one is just too difficult to put on. Silca makes one that weighs about the same and goes on with one of those steel wire twist locks like they use on so many shoes these days. You have to get used to threading it through the saddle rails but you don't have to worry about things falling out of it.

Again, these are new tires and the bike was walking all around the road. I'm hoping that this turns out to be the tires like on the Eddy and eventually steers straight. I have to look this handlebar over. I tried not to overtighten it but carbon fiber is too tricky. Think I'll go back to an aluminum bar.
Old April 27th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 1:17:10 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

If you know the correct bar-stem distance you can always get an integrated bar/stem so you don't have to worry about aver tightening a stem.
Old April 28th 21, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:00:54 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Man, I sure must have been tired yesterday - not to be able to see all of those misspellings.

Other than the bike walking around the road hopefully from the new tires, the Douglas rode quite well. I don't know if it is is going to work out with front and rear tire being different sizes but that is to be seen.
Old April 29th 21, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:57:27 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I pulled off the rear wheel to see if there was much damage to the finish of the off-side chain stay from 5 miles of rubbing. What I saw was that there was no damage at all. It had rubbed rubber off of that edge of the tire but had not injured the finish like it has on other older steel bikes with older types of paint finishes. That impressed me.

Also laying around I discovered what appears to be titanium axles for Keo pedals. I have a set of Look Keo pedals that I believe they fit, If thee some easy way of removing the sealed bearing without destroying it or do you have to end up with having to replace that as well?
Old May 2nd 21, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:03:25 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

The tires have worn their surface finish off and just as I noticed before, the bike now steers straight. I wonder if this is not from the tires but because I hadn't ridden either of these bikes before and I had to get used to their handling and that just happens to coincide with the tires wearing in? I don't remember this occurring before but with my small event memory, that could just be something I don't remember.