[M] dockless bikes compete for marketshare

Old May 15th 18, 08:53 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Anssi Saari

Default [M] dockless bikes compete for marketshare

RS Wood writes:

From the «but do they blend?» department:
Title: How cheap dockless hire bikes are flooding the world
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 19:12:09 -0400
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44066083

Dockless bike tech has massively boosted bike-sharing. Is it the future of
two-wheeled transport?

In Finland there's now a semi-docked (meaning you can leave a bike near
the dock even if it's full) bike system in the capital Helsinki and
adjacent Espoo. Heavily subsidized by the towns of course but apparently
fairly popular. Lots of trucking the bikes around too.

I wonder how the dockless systems fare with this, picking up individual
bikes from where ever people drop them has to be more expensive than
moving them between docks. And of course, in Finland this service is for
the warmer half of the year. While some people say weather is just a
matter of dress it takes a fairly hardcore biker to ride in ice and
snow.

Personally, if I went about three clicks from home to a train stop in
Espoo, I could take a local train to near my office in Helsinki and use
one of those bikes or walk the kilometer or so to the
office. Unfortunately it's a slow train so this takes two to three times
more than going by car and doesn't give much exercise benefits either.
Old May 16th 18, 01:08 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 15 May 2018 22:53:41 +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:

Personally, if I went about three clicks from home to a train stop in
Espoo, I could take a local train to near my office in Helsinki and use
one of those bikes or walk the kilometer or so to the
office. Unfortunately it's a slow train so this takes two to three times
more than going by car and doesn't give much exercise benefits either.

For a while this fall, I could cycle much farther than I could drive.
If the share bikes have drop bars (which don't irritate my rotator
cuff) the train would have worked well for me.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 16th 18, 06:32 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Marko Rauhamaa

Anssi Saari :

In Finland there's now a semi-docked (meaning you can leave a bike
near the dock even if it's full) bike system in the capital Helsinki
and adjacent Espoo. Heavily subsidized by the towns of course but
apparently fairly popular.

I bicycle a lot and see those public bikes all the time. It still
baffles me what the use case is unless you just happen to belong to the
privileged minority that lives or works right next to a dock. Are we
giving a handsome tax subsidy to a handful of lucky winners?

Lots of trucking the bikes around too.

Never seen them being trucked around, but that must be the case. I
wonder what the total cost of the system is.

Well, maybe it's just a drop in the public transport ocean.

it takes a fairly hardcore biker to ride in ice and snow.

Rain is the worst.

Personally, if I went about three clicks from home to a train stop in
Espoo, I could take a local train to near my office in Helsinki and
use one of those bikes or walk the kilometer or so to the office.
Unfortunately it's a slow train so this takes two to three times more
than going by car and doesn't give much exercise benefits either.

Getting there by car is ok, but where would you park? There's no free
parking in my current employment, and the city won't even allow you to
park for a whole working day but makes to pay for the spot in 4-hour
segments (at €2/hr).

Marko
Old May 17th 18, 07:45 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Anssi Saari

Marko Rauhamaa writes:

Anssi Saari :

In Finland there's now a semi-docked (meaning you can leave a bike
near the dock even if it's full) bike system in the capital Helsinki
and adjacent Espoo. Heavily subsidized by the towns of course but
apparently fairly popular.

I bicycle a lot and see those public bikes all the time. It still
baffles me what the use case is unless you just happen to belong to the
privileged minority that lives or works right next to a dock. Are we
giving a handsome tax subsidy to a handful of lucky winners?

I'm not sure either how much sense this makes but the published stats
for last year seem reasonable. Average 5.6 trips per day per bike, 1.5
million trips total. Average trip 2.2 km.

The price for a user is also ridiculously low, 30 ¤ gives unlimited max
30 minute rides for the whole season. Oh and the bikes have ads so it's
not completely tax subsidized. Come to think of it, I wonder how much
information the advertisers get. The bikes have GPS of course and the
system knows who rented which bike...

Getting there by car is ok, but where would you park? There's no free
parking in my current employment, and the city won't even allow you to
park for a whole working day but makes to pay for the spot in 4-hour
segments (at ¤2/hr).

Well, yes, I'd never come by car if I didn't have a parking spot which
my employer provides.
Old May 17th 18, 09:59 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Marko Rauhamaa

Anssi Saari :
I'm not sure either how much sense this makes but the published stats
for last year seem reasonable. Average 5.6 trips per day per bike, 1.5
million trips total. Average trip 2.2 km.

I'd like to know how many people have paid the 30-euro season ticket
plus the total cost of running the program.

Marko
Old May 17th 18, 04:15 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Anssi Saari

Marko Rauhamaa writes:

Anssi Saari :
I'm not sure either how much sense this makes but the published stats
for last year seem reasonable. Average 5.6 trips per day per bike, 1.5
million trips total. Average trip 2.2 km.

I'd like to know how many people have paid the 30-euro season ticket
plus the total cost of running the program.

They list 34000 for last year so a tidy sum. Total cost is probably a
trade secret since the bikes and docks are operated by a private
company.
Old May 18th 18, 12:24 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Marko Rauhamaa

Anssi Saari :

Marko Rauhamaa writes:
I'd like to know how many people have paid the 30-euro season ticket
plus the total cost of running the program.

They list 34000 for last year so a tidy sum. Total cost is probably a
trade secret since the bikes and docks are operated by a private
company.

The total cost to the tax-payer can't be a trade secret.

Marko
Old May 18th 18, 12:30 PM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Marko Rauhamaa

Marko Rauhamaa :

Anssi Saari :

Marko Rauhamaa writes:
I'd like to know how many people have paid the 30-euro season ticket
plus the total cost of running the program.

They list 34000 for last year so a tidy sum. Total cost is probably a
trade secret since the bikes and docks are operated by a private
company.

The total cost to the tax-payer can't be a trade secret.

[€13,000,000 over ten years for 1,500 bicycles.]

Supposing those 34,000 stay with the program for 10 years (in Helsinki)
and pay the €30/yr,

€10,000,000

will be recouped.

So not bad.