What's the brightest dynamo light?

Old January 1st 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

Default What's the brightest dynamo light?

I currently use a DiNotte Ultralight, which is a super light. It's bright
and well designed. I would like to try a dynamo hub on my next bike, and I
don't know what the hot light setup is. I would not have a problem running
two dynamo headlights, as I want the most light I can get. The Shimano
dynohub would be my choice. I know the Schmidt SON is awesome, but it's also
three hundred bucks, which is three times the Shimano. So, what light(s)
shouId I choose to get the most light?

Mike

Old January 2nd 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:
I currently use a DiNotte Ultralight, which is a super light. It's bright
and well designed. I would like to try a dynamo hub on my next bike, and I
don't know what the hot light setup is. I would not have a problem running
two dynamo headlights, as I want the most light I can get. The Shimano
dynohub would be my choice. I know the Schmidt SON is awesome, but it's also
three hundred bucks, which is three times the Shimano. So, what light(s)
shouId I choose to get the most light?

Hmm. It may be that your question needs rephrasing.

Technically, the amount of light (i.e. lumens) you get will be
determined by the generator and the bulb (unless you're considering a
generator powered LED lamp). Where that light goes is determined by
the lamp's optics. I suppose that's what you're really asking about.

In general, the tighter the beam's focus, the brighter the illumination
of the roadway. But you don't want one tiny spot of super-bright
light. You need a beam of reasonable width and reasonable vertical
height. But with a limited light source, you can't spread the beam too
far, or you'll be too dim. So perhaps what you want to ask is "which
lamp is bright enough and wide enough for my riding application?"

One subtle point is that it's good to have the top of the beam bright
and the bottom dimmer. This lets you see far enough down the road
without having your vision washed out by an extra-bright road surface
close to the bike.

Anyway, some beam pattern photos are at these two sites:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

and

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Kompon.../vergleich.htm

- Frank Krygowski

Old January 2nd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Gooserider wrote:
I currently use a DiNotte Ultralight, which is a super light. It's bright
and well designed. I would like to try a dynamo hub on my next bike, and I
don't know what the hot light setup is. I would not have a problem running
two dynamo headlights, as I want the most light I can get. The Shimano
dynohub would be my choice. I know the Schmidt SON is awesome, but it's also
three hundred bucks, which is three times the Shimano. So, what light(s)
shouId I choose to get the most light?

I like the Lumotec Oval Senso Plus with my dynohub. But that's not
quite the question you asked. If you want the *brightest* dyno-light,
you want the Solidlights 1203D:

http://www.solidlights.co.uk/products/1203d.php

Of course, the price might be a small disincentive. *cough* 145 GBP
*cough* plus shipping.

Really, I think a good 3W light + a front blinky is probably the best
combination IMHO. But, one day...

--
Dane Buson -
Death before dishonor. But neither before breakfast.
Old January 3rd 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

Gooserider wrote:
I currently use a DiNotte Ultralight, which is a super light. It's bright
and well designed. I would like to try a dynamo hub on my next bike, and I
don't know what the hot light setup is. I would not have a problem running
two dynamo headlights, as I want the most light I can get. The Shimano
dynohub would be my choice. I know the Schmidt SON is awesome, but it's also
three hundred bucks, which is three times the Shimano. So, what light(s)
shouId I choose to get the most light?

Mike

The SON is $245 at www.peterwhitecycles.com, compared to $90 for the
Shimano 3N-71. So things aren't quite as bad as you make them out to be.

I bought a Shimano 3N-71 a little over a year ago, and I've been real
happy with it. I use it for commuting and I put it on my bike for a 2
week tour in Italy last May. I'm considering setting up my road bike for
brevets this summer, though, and the SON would be nice for that. It's
sl;ightly more efficient than the Shimano, lighter, and has less rolling
resistance than the Shimano when the lights are turned off.

mark
Old January 3rd 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Schmitz

Gooserider wrote:
I currently use a DiNotte Ultralight, which is a super light. It's bright
and well designed. I would like to try a dynamo hub on my next bike, and I
don't know what the hot light setup is. I would not have a problem running
two dynamo headlights, as I want the most light I can get. The Shimano
dynohub would be my choice. I know the Schmidt SON is awesome, but it's also
three hundred bucks, which is three times the Shimano. So, what light(s)
shouId I choose to get the most light?

Mike

Hi -

I like the BiSy lamps. They have a nice rectangular pattern that is
brighter at the top, which help a bit with the long range.

I have two mounted on the front of my commuter bike - see he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34424013@N00/343394431/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34424013@N00/343394427/

One is used as a main beam, the other as a high beam by focusing it a
bit further down the road.

While I take credit for the construction, I shamelessly stole the design
from Tim McNamara.

Regards,

Tom

Old January 3rd 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I have the newer SON & 2 of the new Shimano generator hubs. (DH-3d71
DH-3n71)
SON on a 650 roadie wheel, 1 on a 26" mtb wheel, 1 on a 700c roadie
wheel.
They put out a simliar amount of power. The shimano is reported to
have a little more drag but I can't tell when riding. The total drag
is pretty much unnoticiable. Consider the electric 'drag' is 3 watts,
plus maybe 1 or 2 more watts for losses. Compare that to the 100+
watts you are putting out a a slow riding speed. Racing watts could
approach 500. 3 watts is pretty minor.

the headlight light is what matters.

I have the Shimano LPR 600? , I don't recommend it. The beam is way
too dispersed, it has a second white led that flickers a low speeds
within your vield of view and gets brighter as you increase speed. The
lense wraps around the top and transmits more light into your field of
view. This destroys your night vision.

Generator lights need a voltage regulator (Zenor diode) to prevent
burning out the bulb at higher speeds. So you can use any light if you
add the diode. Generator specific headlights have those diodes built
in.

the big advantage of a generator is it always works. No dead batteries
miles from home.

The down side is no light at the stop lights/signs. Add a small white
flashing led to the handle bars for in town visability.

Rick

Old January 3rd 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Will

Gooserider wrote:
I currently use a DiNotte Ultralight, which is a super light. It's bright
and well designed. I would like to try a dynamo hub on my next bike, and I
don't know what the hot light setup is. I would not have a problem running
two dynamo headlights, as I want the most light I can get. The Shimano
dynohub would be my choice. I know the Schmidt SON is awesome, but it's also
three hundred bucks, which is three times the Shimano. So, what light(s)
shouId I choose to get the most light?

Mike

I just installed 2 Busch and Mueller Dymotec 6's, Dlumotec LED
headlights and Dtoplights (rear) on my boy's bikes. Bought them from
Peter White Cyclery. I am very pleased with them. I choose the regular
6 instead of the lower resistance S6 but must say, the resistance is
negligible on the inexpensive 6. I highly recommend them. Whatever
brand you eventually go for, be sure to get lights that DO NOT GO OUT
when you stop pedaling. Not only is the feature nice for stoplights,
it's really nice for securing the bikes at night, finding keys and so
forth. Bottle generators have come a long way in the last few years.
Coupled with good LED lighting technology, they are surprisingly
bright. And there's no resistance for day riding. The LED lights, by
the way, fully power up at walking speed which is good, if you do a lot
of stop and start biking.

Old January 3rd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Will wrote:

I just installed 2 Busch and Mueller Dymotec 6's, Dlumotec LED
headlights and Dtoplights (rear) on my boy's bikes. Bought them from
Peter White Cyclery. I am very pleased with them. I choose the regular
6 instead of the lower resistance S6 but must say, the resistance is
negligible on the inexpensive 6. I highly recommend them. Whatever

I have one of each and can't really tell the difference between
them as far as drag goes.

The Dymotec 6 does appear to be a bit noisier (sort of a whine)
than the S6 though.

I'm pleased with both.

SMH
Old January 3rd 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Will

Stephen Harding wrote:

I have one of each and can't really tell the difference between
them as far as drag goes.

That is good to know...especially since the Dymotec S6 costs 3 times as
much as the 6. I was very surprised when I test rode the bikes. It was
really hard to tell the generators was riding the wheels.

The Lumotecs are great, though I expected that since Peter White's web
pages for lighting products are excellent and he's not shy about
offering advice.

Brightest bike light ever made! Steven T. Henderson [MS] Marketplace 0 September 26th 05 03:49 PM
dynamo light question Marianne Promberger UK 4 July 8th 05 08:17 PM
0.6w tail light for dynamo set, where to buy? maxo General 12 March 15th 05 06:32 AM
dynamo light cutout james UK 14 June 26th 04 08:49 AM
Brightest LED red (rear) light? Jose B. Ruivo UK 0 February 22nd 04 01:47 PM