time to buy some new gear - recommendations?

Old May 6th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default time to buy some new gear - recommendations?

N8N wrote:

Problem is, I still can't really carry anything on it unless I carry a
backpack, and I can't leave it anywhere. So it's fine if I just want
to go for a ride to go for a ride, but that wasn't the entire purpose
of this exercise.

Should I just get a better backpack, or is the added weight of a rack
worth it? Any specific recommendations for any products? My frame
does appear to have mounts for a rack and fenders. I'm thinking that
the rack would be more comfortable simply because then I wouldn't have
this heavy thing hanging off of me while I'm all sweaty and trying to
cool off...

I hate backpacks in the summer -- don't like them much in the winter
either. That goes for Camelbaks, too. Rear racks are very useful, but by
themselves can't carry much. The 2 options are basically something that
hangs from the rack or something that sits on top. For hanging
solutions, fold-up "grocery bag" panniers are nice, they basically just
clip to the rack and can hold a grocery bag. They're just a fabric
covered (sometimes) collapsible wire frame. With a handle, you can carry
them like a tote. http://tinyurl.com/6zfl8c

For "on top" solutions, you have trunk bags -- rectangular, soft-sided,
fabric boxes with zippered compartments. They work OK, but have limited
space. On my "errand bike" I use the classic plastic milk crate -- looks
low-rent, but hard to beat for practicality. I often put a backpack in
it while I ride, it'll handle a surprising amount of cargo. One day I
picked up 2 gal coolant, a large Chevy water pump and an assortment of
hoses. The disadvantage of the crate (besides looks) is that it's
permanently mounted.

What kind of lock should I get? I'm assuming it should be a cable
style lock as both wheels have QRs. What's a good compromise between
security and light weight?

Cable locks are easy to defeat with bolt cutters, U-locks with jacks or
crowbars. One strategy is to use one of each and hope the thief doesn't
have both tools.
Old May 6th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aeek

On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:46:03 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

N8N wrote:

Should I just get a better backpack, or is the added weight of a rack
worth it? Any specific recommendations for any products? My frame

I hate backpacks in the summer -- don't like them much in the winter

I use a Deuter backpack happily in the Australian summer, not so much
a better backpack as a cycling backpack.
The only hassle is limited access to my jersey pockets.

Old May 6th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 6, 6:46 am, Peter Cole wrote:
N8N wrote:
[...]

I find those soft grocery panniers to be pretty lame, as they sag.
Good to pick one up on sale as they're light, of course, as they have
their times when they can be useful. Cheap panniers are better, IMHO--
Oh, how I wish we could get the really tacky plaid kind like you used
to be able to get in northern Europe to color match with your
thermos!

A step up from the milk crate, whose center of gravity chaps my
patooty, is the Wald folding basket. Just one on a side of the rack
with some bungee netting, and you can carry a crap load of stuff--
mind, this is also getting into Fred territory. When I commuted in
Chicago, I'd often mount up a Wald in the winter with a few zip ties,
and cut it off for summer when I used lighter canvas bags.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Rear-G.../dp/B000BPNK7O

Walds are mainly good when you're in the big city and don't want to
lug panniers around--even the most desperate crackhead isn't gonna
steal some Wald folders. "Yo, trade you these grocery totes for a
rock!"
Old May 6th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ecnerwal

In article
,
N8N wrote:

Should I just get a better backpack, or is the added weight of a rack
worth it? Any specific recommendations for any products? My frame
does appear to have mounts for a rack and fenders. I'm thinking that
the rack would be more comfortable simply because then I wouldn't have
this heavy thing hanging off of me while I'm all sweaty and trying to
cool off...

If you're not being a racer-boy, the added weight of a rack is
negligible. It also improves the center of gravity by moving the load
way down as compared to carrying it high on your back.

Given that you are (effectively, anyway, Mr. Mitty aside) building a
utility bike, consider the fenders, too, unless you are fairweather
only. If you want to carry much, panniers (or side racks) to hang from
the rack and a bag/box/crate to go on top of the rack (and usually stick
out over the top of the panniers) are also useful. Someone should make
an integrated fender/rack, but I haven't seen one (not that I make any
claim to have seen more than a small percentage of what's out there).

What kind of lock should I get? I'm assuming it should be a cable
style lock as both wheels have QRs. What's a good compromise between
security and light weight?

Locks only keep honest people honest (and they all weigh a good deal
more than a rack). Actual bike thieves have many options for removing
locks, most fairly quickly. The link below, while worthwhile to read,
seems to be unaware of the universal, non-bulky methods, but they exist,
and I'm not going to educate any budding non-honest people, though I
expect they will have little trouble finding out what some of those are.
As an honest person with tools, I've removed a few locks for people with
lost keys, and it's not all that hard, with no need to resort to LN2, a
jack, or bolt-cutters. So, use a lock, but don't think that a 20 lb lock
will protect much better than a 2-lb lock.

Still, worth a read:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

The other aspect that does not discuss is letting your bike look very
unattractive. Rust, mud and duct tape can be part of your security
strategy, while wax and polish compromise it, by making your bike more
attractive to all, including thieves.

Old May 6th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
autopi

I find those soft grocery panniers to be pretty lame, as they sag.
Good to pick one up on sale as they're light, of course, as they have
their times when they can be useful. Cheap panniers are better, IMHO--

oh i disagree; i've been using a "grocery" pannier to commute with for
about 2 years now. it's held up well! it can hold a surprising amount
of stuff/weight, too. the advantage of this style over the wald is
that the straps on my backpack don't trail out the bottom and get
caught up in the wheel. everything is contained in one space.

i prefer these to panniers as well for commuting since i can just
throw my backpack in there and then, when i'm on campus, just carry
the backpack around, then throw it back in the basket when it's time
to go home. that way i'm not packing/unpacking things all the time, if
i want to take the train to campus i just grab my backpack, etc.. much
more convenient, in my opinion.

finally, like someone else said, i HATE wearing a backpack while
cycling, even on a 5 mile commute. i end up all sweaty and i just
don't like it. i think this is the ideal compromise.
Old May 6th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

landotter wrote:

I find those soft grocery panniers to be pretty lame, as they sag.
Good to pick one up on sale as they're light, of course, as they have
their times when they can be useful. Cheap panniers are better, IMHO--

I think they're lame, too -- for actually carrying groceries, but
they're great for carrying light stuff, like a change of clothes if you
commute to work. That's what my wife uses them for. Panniers can work
well for that too, especially the flat ones (like garment bags) that
drape over the rack, but they're usually a lot more money.

A step up from the milk crate, whose center of gravity chaps my
patooty, is the Wald folding basket. Just one on a side of the rack
with some bungee netting, and you can carry a crap load of stuff--
mind, this is also getting into Fred territory.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Rear-G.../dp/B000BPNK7O

Yes, those would be much better for actually carrying groceries. My
crate is limited to realistically only one full bag, or a 12-pack box of
beer bottles (more common). I don't mind the COG issue as I'm pretty
high to begin with, but my size 15's don't mix well with panniers.

When I really want to haul some groceries I break out the BOB trailer. I
have the one with a Rubbermaid container. The beauty of that is the
tongue mount is to a special QR skewer, so swapping between bikes is
trivial. My most frequent use has been to bring picnic lunches along for
all day off-road family rides. It has bounced off so many boulders and
trees that the steel frame is dented and bent, but still going strong.

If you want the real low-end look you can tie plastic bags to the handle
holes of your crate. I haven't done that yet, I still have some pride...
Old May 6th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On May 6, 12:05*am, DougC wrote:
N8N wrote:
I'm still keeping with my idea that I'm going to try to ride wherever
I can... *

nate

You didn't mention it, but my recommendation is to get bulletproof tires.

My preference is Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, but there are other ways
of doing it--Specialized Armadillo series and various other
brands/models of tires, or you could go slime/tubeless, or even airfree
(urethane) tires.

All of these choices will be rather heavy as tires go--but when you're
trying to get somewhere, flats rarely occur at convenient times and they
are /never/ fun to deal with. The difference in ride-time of riding
heavy tires vs light+fast tires is rarely as great as the difference in
time it'll take if you have to stop and fix a flat.

Also do note that I still carry a pump and patch kit. Puncture-resistant
tires are not guaranteed, just less likely to flat than usual.
~

I've got the original CX tires that came with the bike, whatever those
were, but the PO installed a pair of Panaracer Urban Max in 32x700c.
I probably would have chosen a pair of 28s for my intended use but
they seem to be fine. How do those stack up in terms of durability,
do I need to worry? I'm guessing I won't have a problem, as I mostly
ride on roads or the W&OD trail, and I can honestly say (knock on
wood) that even when I was younger and rode a lot more than I do now I
never once got a flat while riding. that's probably a unique claim,
but still. I do carry the frame pump and a patch kit just to keep
Murphy at bay.

nate
Old May 6th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

I have a backpack that I got at a 99¢ Store that I can roll up and put
into a bottle cage. You can find better ones that will roll up the
same way. I use it when I go out and find something to bring home.

You can also get a pair of those shoe laces that look like rubber
coils and a pair of fastners that has a button on it to cinch the ends
of the shoelace. Put a shoe lace on each seat rail. Fasten your
rolled up backpack by making the shoe laces tight with the slip cinch.
The cinch is sold at places that have camping equipment or big stores
that sell sewing stuff. The lace ties also hold jackets and rain gear
as needed.