27" tires at Walmart any good?

Old May 5th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default 27" tires at Walmart any good?

In article ,
wrote:

My girlfriend has an older schwinn bike with 27" rims.

She needs tires bad. Are the tires sold at Walmart in
27" size any good? Tubes as well?

Or should I convince her to get some name brand tires
at tubes elsewhere?

27" can be imprecise for a specification.
Look at the original tires.
Is there a number on there in the range 559 to 635?
27" is most commonly an ISO 630 mm size, but could
be something else. If there is not an ISO specification
on the original tire, take the original tire to bicycle
shops, hoping to match the size side-by-side.

--
Michael Press
Old May 6th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

buying cheap tires is insane.
you can't afford $60 ?
you can't afford sliding under a bus when the cheapos slip ona patch
of anti freeze. that's what you can't afford.

what's she look like ?
Old May 6th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 6, 2:00 am, Werehatrack wrote:
On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:49:38 -0500, may have said:

My girlfriend has an older schwinn bike with 27" rims.

She needs tires bad. Are the tires sold at Walmart in
27" size any good? Tubes as well?

Or should I convince her to get some name brand tires
at tubes elsewhere?

Unless she's a demanding, competitive-level rider, those tires will
probably work perfectly well. OTOH, at any given time there's usually
a better tire to be had for what amounts to the same price per pair
from one of the mail order houses, now that VoldeMart swapped to
higher-priced Kevlar-bead tires instead of the inexpensive wire-bead
versions that they used to carry.

Depends on which *mart. The red circle mart most definitely has
switched to kevlar due to ease of stocking, but some of the Wally
worlds are still moving old stock misery--not that wire bead is bad,
but the casings of those tires are awful. My local Sun and Ski in the
mall has some pretty nice moderate width tires in 27 and 700, while my
LBS has only gumwalls if you don't want skinnies--go figure, that's
why I mail ordered the Paselas I use.
Old May 7th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 5, 5:15 pm, Peter Cole wrote:
Hank wrote:
All the more reason to go with the Paselas - still made by National in
Japan. A better 27" tire you will not find.

I've got to report in. I just received a pair of Paselas from Nashbar
(thanks for the heads up landotter). I've used Paselas for years,
usually in the 28mm size. This time I decided to go fat for my fixed
gear as I typically ride it on the bike path around the Charles river
this time of year and the pavement is kind of crappy.

I got a pair of 35mm. They measure exactly 35mm, both on a skinny rim
(Open Pro) and a wider rim (CR-18). They mounted easily, and rolled
well. I pumped them up pretty hard (80-90). I may try running them a
little softer. Same nice tire that they've always been.

Heee, how do those humongous 35s feel? I got the 32s expecting 28 real
width sizing, but have been pleased with the balloons. All summed up--
it's a larger diameter wheel. Mine roll better than I ever expected.
Did some intervals on them last evening. A little slower than 23s on
the blast up for sure, but not really that much. Once up to speed at
100psi, it's mainly psych stuff--am I really maintaining these speeds
on these marshmallows?? They seriously do roll well.

100psi is a comfy fast pressure for these guys on fast jaunts, but for
slower poking around journeys, Sheldon's calculator shows safe me at
around a cushy 75, possibly 70 since we're nearing six months post ham
season. ;-)
Old May 7th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Hank wrote:
[...]

Max and Peter,

I'm a lightweight. But just thought that y'all'd like to know that at
135#, I keep my 32s at 45 psi front and 50 psi back and still haven't
gotten a flat on these tires. If'n y'all had the hankerin', you could
give y'all's selves a purty comfy ride.

Aside from the thunderstorms, I'd say the weather's been mighty nice.

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old May 7th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Hank wrote:
[...]

I put the Paselas on my fixer, which is a 20 year old Fuji frame. I
think it originally had 27" wheels. The frame clearances are good, but I
can just barely mount the rear wheel (when inflated), it just clears the
dropout mouth when bumping the chainstays at the BB.

The tires feel good. Way different than my 35mm Nokian snow tires with
their deep tread and studs (not surprising). The ride is noticeably less
harsh than it was with the 25's I had on before. A really nice bad
pavement, easy ride, tire. Lots of people obsess over frames, I never
felt that much difference (tin butt?). Tires make a huge difference.
Going from 25-35mm on this bike is like riding a new bike. I have
experimented lots with offroad tires, looking for the perfect match.
There I found the best tread pattern (for trails around here) but also
found I liked the biggest tires I could fit. I don't know why I haven't
tried big tires on my road bikes until now.
Old May 7th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Hank wrote:
[...]

90-100psi on pavement with a supple tire does me fine. We've got some
gnarly pinch flat transitions on the greenway bridges anyway. With a
supple casing tire and a bike that's dialed sensibly, you know, usable
drops and tops 1" below the tops, life is good. Actually, I may have
gotten the Redline as close as I've ever dialed a bike to fit my
slightly unusual build. I'll drop to 80 or so when the fire roads dry
out in June...

Was talking to Mark, the ex team wrench down at the shop, and he
claims that most pros don't ride over 110 on the street anyway, even
if the tire is rated. Makes sense as above that you sorta defeat the
purpose of a pneumatic ride and introduce road chatter.

I'm still enjoying people commenting on my "white walls."

Enjoy Atlanta, and eat me some Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles,
alternately salmon croquettes with collards--you sound like ya need a
dose, you skinny thing. I'm still ten short of my 175 pound goal, but
I am tall, like Andrew Jackson, a local hero, so I'll just have a veg
plate...
Old May 7th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:

. Lots of people obsess over frames, I never
felt that much difference (tin butt?). Tires make a huge difference.
Going from 25-35mm on this bike is like riding a new bike.

Interesting!

Thanks
Old May 8th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

landotter wrote:
Enjoy Atlanta, and eat me some Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles,
alternately salmon croquettes with collards--you sound like ya need a
dose, you skinny thing. I'm still ten short of my 175 pound goal, but
I am tall, like Andrew Jackson, a local hero, so I'll just have a veg
plate...

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to go there on account of the
vegetarian girlfriend. I need to hurry though. I got a job in PDX and
I'm moving June 25! You're solely in charge of maintaining the Southern
Front from now on.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson