Storage of Rans Rocket in Shed

Old November 26th 05, 04:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Storage of Rans Rocket in Shed

Hi. I need to figure out the best way to store my Rocket. I'm thinking of
hanging it from a hook - rear wheel. Is this OK, or do I need to come up
with something more elaborate? Or maybe I should just let it stand on its
tires with the occasional rotation during the winter, does this really harm
the bike? Seems more secure. Thanks.

Old November 26th 05, 07:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Steve W wrote:
Store it on it's wheels and ride it "occasionally" during the winter.
After all that's what a bike is for!!

I thought they were for riding all year round myself ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 26th 05, 10:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Richard Greenberg wrote:
Hi. I need to figure out the best way to store my Rocket. I'm thinking of
hanging it from a hook - rear wheel. Is this OK, or do I need to come up
with something more elaborate? Or maybe I should just let it stand on its
tires with the occasional rotation during the winter, does this really harm
the bike? Seems more secure. Thanks.

[Goes into other room, performs cursory examination of 2000 RANS
Rocket, returns to computer keyboard.]

Hanging a RANS Rocket by the back wheel would certainly work, however,
if your Rocket has a "Flip-It" hinge the handlebars will flop around.
In addition, you will have a good chance of fouling yourself on the
chain and/or crank while doing so. If practical, I would find a longer
hook and hang the bike by the front wheel.

The only reasonably probable occurrence of damage from hanging a
bicycle by its wheel would be scratching the rim if a metal hook was
used or if the rim was dirty (since most natural dirt contains silica
particles which are harder than most rim surfaces).

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels

Old November 27th 05, 10:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default RANS Rocket winter riding

Tony Raven wrote:
Steve W wrote:
Store it on it's wheels and ride it "occasionally" during the winter.
After all that's what a bike is for!!

I thought they were for riding all year round myself ;-)

Having owned and ridden a RANS Rocket in the snow, I suggest that one
will want a pair of these studded tires [1] for riding in climates
where there is snow and/or ice on the ground. Light snow on rural roads
can be handled with normal tires, but anything more is questionable. I
have not tried them, but the good folks at Calhoun Cycle have
experience in bicycle ice racing, so I expect they know what works.

[1]
http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=478&idcategory=115.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old November 27th 05, 02:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

You keep your Rocket in the house? Since I assume the bedroom is
reserved for the Lowracer, I'll guess that the Rocket is in the dining
room. That's a perfect table for disassembling gear clusters and such.
dale