Bike lock advise and recommendation

Old November 12th 03, 11:30 PM
David

Default Bike lock advise and recommendation

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advise or recommendation if my
current lock system is more than adequate to secure my bike outdoors.

In my last job, I was fortunate enough to have a secure indoor bike
parking facility. To lock it to the supplied bike post by my
ex-company, I used a combination of a short Kryptonite Evo-Lite U-Lock
(using Sheldon Brown's locking technique) to secure the frame and rear
wheel and a MEC thick twisted braided cable lock to secure the front
wheel to the frame. It had kept the bike from being stolen for years.
The same combination is used for my daily errands -- shopping and
visiting friends. -- and not usually away from my bike for more than
2-4 hours.
In the new year, I may be working with a new company and they do not
have any secure parking for bikes and do not allow bikes inside. So, I
now have to park my bike outside for close to 8 hrs. I will be working
in a high bike theft area of the city and people told me that my
Evo-lite U-lock & cable lock combination might not be enough. They
suggested something like a Master Lock Street Cuff, Krytonite NY Lock
and another U-Lock that as a top dog emblem on it which I can't
remember. Some even suggested to me using square link chains and a
U-Lock combination. Those sounded pretty drastic..
Do I need all that? Mine is a touring bike that is used for both
touring and commuting.

I am fully aware that if people want to steal my bike, they will think
of a way to get it. I just wonder if my current U-Lock is up to the
task or should I get a better and stronger one?

Thanks..

David.
Old November 12th 03, 11:37 PM
Per Elmsäter

David wrote:
In the new year, I may be working with a new company and they do not
have any secure parking for bikes and do not allow bikes inside. So,
I now have to park my bike outside for close to 8 hrs. I will be
working in a high bike theft area of the city and people told me that

Sounds like you need to use a bike that no one wants to steal. I am
considering the exact same thing myself actually. I don't like the idea of
commuting 2*12 km a day on a ****ty bike. But then again it just needs to
look ****ty. It doesn't have to be ****ty.

--
Perre

Old November 13th 03, 01:31 AM
Jose Rizal

Per Elmsäter:

David wrote:
In the new year, I may be working with a new company and they do not
have any secure parking for bikes and do not allow bikes inside. So,
I now have to park my bike outside for close to 8 hrs. I will be
working in a high bike theft area of the city and people told me that

Sounds like you need to use a bike that no one wants to steal. I am
considering the exact same thing myself actually. I don't like the idea of
commuting 2*12 km a day on a ****ty bike. But then again it just needs to
look ****ty. It doesn't have to be ****ty.

I've seen a bicycle which looked quite horrid upon first glance, locked
up on a busy street footpath. The frame had tattered electrical tape
wound all around the frame tubes, obscuring the brand; the rims had
brand stickers removed and looked grungy; the hubs had the brand names
rubbed out; and the derailleurs were covered in opaque plastic bags as
protection against dirt. Upon closer inspection it was evident that it
was a Specialized frame, with XT derailleurs and hubs, and Mavic 519
rims. A reasonably desirable bike to steal for thieves, it was a bike
courier's, and it took a close inspection to see through the disguise.