coffee holder

Old May 1st 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bobdobbs

Default coffee holder

My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)
Old May 1st 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

bobdobbs wrote:

My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a
holder (on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I
don't want to put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any
suggestions for a holder (and also a coffee container?)

For about $40, the Soma 'Morning Rush' is a handlebar mounted
holder and travel mug:
http://www.somafab.com/morningrush.html

Also http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com/ is a wealth of cycling
coffee info.

Greg

"I went to bed drunk and I woke up married
I slept through church and I woke up buried"

(Bob Walkenhorst)
My Photos-
http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Old May 1st 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

Soma's stainless coffee mug mounts to your handlebar, quick mount/release.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 1st 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

I'd advise you to go to the web site "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com"
for more information on the subject than you probably want!

It's an amazing web site. The creator must be really smart. I heard that
he's been interviewed by a coffee trade magazine. He may actually be the
smartest cyclist in the history of cycling.

The short answer is "http://www.elevengear.us/thermalbottle.html". I
need to fix the link in my site. There are several cages that will work.
You need a plastic or carbon-fiber cage without a thingee at the top
that goes over the top of the wide section of the bottle.
Old May 1st 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

I missed the part about no braze-ons.

First go to a very good web site at "http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/"
which is entitled "Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles without
Braze-Ons." Find which device would work best for your frame or bars.
It's great that someone was thoughtful enough to put up a web site with
this information. Oh wait, that's my site.

Then go over to "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com" for bottle selection.

The best bottle is sold at "http://www.elevengear.us/thermalbottle.html".

There are a lot of cages that will work with this bottle. You basically
want a plastic or carbon fiber cage that can expand slightly, and that
grips only the bottom 1/2 of the bottle.

The old model Profile Desgin Kage cage works good and is inexpensive,
see "http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=24894". These are not
widely available anymore, though I have seen them occasionally at
sporting goods stores with bicycle departments.

Steve
The Bicycle Coffee Guy
Old May 2nd 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Snortley

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:32:37 -0700 (PDT), bobdobbs
wrote:

My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

For a couple of years, I've been using one of the cup holders
listed on the Bicycle Coffee Systems site, the one that's similar to
the Soma Morning Rush:

http://nycewheels.com/bottle-holder-bar-mount.html

It works fairly well, though I've had to replace the 4 mm mounting
bolt every now and then. It's not quite strong enough to hold well;
tighten it enough and eventually it strips. I wonder if the Soma unit
is any better in that respect; if they made the bracket with a 5 mm
bolt it would work much better. I just keep a few spare nuts and bolts
around and change when necessary. Aside from that, as I'm taking the
coffee to work, it's handy to have it in a cup. It also works well
with take-out cups, milk shakes, whatever.

One tweak that's been useful is the addition of some elastic
and a hook; keeps cups from flying out on bumps:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3...rhopperrn6.jpg

Old May 2nd 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 30, 11:32*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

Hi there.

Here is an inexpensive solution.

I just use a bottle cage holder on my handlebars and cage both by
Profile Design for about $20. I simply put a straw through the middle
of the plastic coffee cup (card or paper cup) lid and put the cup into
the holder.

The straw makes drinking the coffee spill free and the cup does not
obstruct my vision whilst I am drinking from it.

An image of the mount and cage (sans coffee cup) on the bars can be
found he http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/2458434896/

Cheers from Peter
Old May 2nd 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

The straw makes drinking the coffee spill free and the cup does not
obstruct my vision whilst I am drinking from it.

An image of the mount and cage (sans coffee cup) on the bars can be
found he http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/2458434896/

That old-style Profile Kage is one of the best ones to hold a stainless
steel bottle as well, for those of us that brew at home and carry it
with us. It grips it well, and even if it's a bit larger diameter than a
water bottle it expands enough to hold it. That cage is discontinued,
but apparently Cambria Bike still has some,
"http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=24894".

For a non-disposable container, the one at
"http://www.elevengear.us/thermalbottle.html" is ideal, as you can
easily drink while you're riding. Most of the vacuum bottles or mugs
aren't well suited to drinking and riding at the same time as you either
have to stop to sip through the opening in the lid, or you have to
unscrew the cap.

Remember, Experts Agree, Coffee Is Good Food—Drink Lots(TM).

Steve
The Bicycle Coffee, Lighting, and Chain Guy

"http://bicyclelighting.com"
"http://nordicgroup.us/chain/"
Old May 2nd 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Snortley wrote:

One tweak that's been useful is the addition of some elastic
and a hook; keeps cups from flying out on bumps:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3...rhopperrn6.jpg

LOL, as I stated about the plastic version of the handlebar cup holder:

"If you hit a bump or pothole the cup may eject and hit the ground then
the lid will pop off and splash hot coffee all over you (don't ask how I
know this!)."

I like your creative solution to keeping the cup in place.

Old May 2nd 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Have you got a rear rack (or can you attach one)? Get a Stanley
stainless steel thermos and bungee it on.

Occam's Razor.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Coffee, with sugar [email protected] Racing 6 February 7th 07 08:59 AM
My new coffee table Tom Crispin UK 15 November 3rd 06 09:48 AM
Coffee Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 2 April 17th 06 02:10 AM
Coffee DeF Australia 29 September 23rd 05 08:01 AM
Help: Need bottle for my coffee John Doe Australia 22 August 4th 03 05:03 PM