coffee holder

Old May 2nd 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default coffee holder

On Apr 30, 11:32*pm, bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

use the gatorade bottle wrapped in foam. hose clamp the cage after
spreading linseed and/or poly jug wrap avliding paint dismemberment
Old May 3rd 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Apr 30, 8:32 pm, bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

I bought a couple of these handy little units from Velo Orange:
http://www.velo-orange.com/vohatowaboca.html

For $4, you can attach any water bottle cage you like and go from
there.

Regards,
Anthony
Old May 3rd 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
On Apr 30, 8:32 pm, bobdobbs wrote:
My bike doesn't have braze-ons. I want to get some kind of a holder
(on handlebar or frame) to carry my coffee to work. I don't want to
put the coffee in a plastic bottle. Any suggestions for a holder (and
also a coffee container?)

I bought a couple of these handy little units from Velo Orange:
http://www.velo-orange.com/vohatowaboca.html

For $4, you can attach any water bottle cage you like and go from
there.

Regards,
Anthony

A lot of bicycle shops sell that same item. The one I bought was branded
as a Giant product, but it was exactly the same thing, and it was $5.
Old May 4th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

still just me wrote:
On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:40:21 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
wrote:

use the gatorade bottle wrapped in foam. hose clamp the cage after
spreading linseed and/or poly jug wrap avliding paint dismemberment

Just quite drinking coffee. Much easier.

Just stop drinking coffee while riding a bike. Ridiculous, messing with
hot coffee in traffic.

Lou
Old May 5th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

use the gatorade bottle wrapped in foam. hose clamp the cage after
spreading linseed and/or poly jug wrap avliding paint dismemberment

Just quite drinking coffee. Much easier.

Just stop drinking coffee while riding a bike. Ridiculous, messing with
hot coffee in traffic.

It doesn't have to be hot, iced coffee is also good.

Coffee is probably about the healthiest beverage in the world, and is
especially good for cyclists.

Furthermore, the original poster seemed more concerned with carrying it
to work where he would consume it, rather than drinking it as he road.
However there are several bottles for hot liquids avsailable.
Old May 7th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

still just me wrote:

I would disagree. It's not evil, but neither is it what you suggested.
A certain amount of caffeine has been shown to have a beneficial
effect on muscle stimulation during exercise - so much so that I know
some Olympic level trainers suggesting that a cup of coffee before
working out is not a bad thing. However, it's also a diuretic - which
for most people is an issue without compensating intake of additional
water.

The "diuretic" myth is probably one of the biggest fallacies about
coffee. The logic goes like this: Diuretics cause dehydration. Caffeine
is a diuretic. Coffee contains caffeine. Hence drinking coffee causes
dehydration. The flaw in this logic is that coffee is NOT mostly
caffeine, it is mostly water. The water provides hydration, while the
small amount of caffeine has negligible or no effect. Even weak
alcoholic beverages like beer don't cause dehydration as the amount of
water is so great that the small amount of alcohol doesn't increase
urination all that much (I know the old storing of renting beer, not
buying it).

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo
seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies
reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial
volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention."
See "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12187618?dopt=Abstract"

However the benefits of coffee go far beyond the beneficial effects of
the caffeine on performance. Coffee has been shown to have beneficial
effects for preventing Alzheimer's, mitigating asthma and apnea,
preventing many types of cancer, preventing diabetes, preventing
Parkinsons, headaches, kidney stones, gallstones, skin cancer, obesity
and impotence. Remember, coffee is an herbal beverage, made from the
seeds of the coffee plant. I remember hearing Dr. Dean Edell saying that
if coffee were newly discovered, it would be hailed as a wonder drug.
Old May 7th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"SMS" wrote in message

Even weak alcoholic beverages like beer don't cause dehydration as the
amount of water is so great that the small amount of alcohol doesn't
increase urination all that much (I know the old storing of renting beer,
not buying it).

Eh? What's a hangover then? What's the standard preemptive tactic?

Old May 7th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Clive George wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

Even weak alcoholic beverages like beer don't cause dehydration as the
amount of water is so great that the small amount of alcohol doesn't
increase urination all that much (I know the old storing of renting
beer, not buying it).

Eh? What's a hangover then? What's the standard preemptive tactic?

as I understand it, the classic hangover is caused by the effects of
aldehydes on the brain. The pitcher of water thing may work simply
because if you're waking up to **** 3x during the night, you're flushing
out all the toxins as fast as your kidneys can filter them.

Of course, if you have a weasel-like super-metabolism, you generally
sleep right through the worst of the hangover and wake up in the morning
craving bacon, fried potatoes, and coffee. Or so I've heard.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 7th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message

Even weak alcoholic beverages like beer don't cause dehydration as the
amount of water is so great that the small amount of alcohol doesn't
increase urination all that much (I know the old storing of renting
beer, not buying it).

Eh? What's a hangover then? What's the standard preemptive tactic?

as I understand it, the classic hangover is caused by the effects of
aldehydes on the brain. The pitcher of water thing may work simply
because if you're waking up to **** 3x during the night, you're flushing
out all the toxins as fast as your kidneys can filter them.

Dehydration is the biggie - even beer will leave you dehydrated as normally
you'll **** more than you drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover

cheers,
clive

Old May 7th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
SMS wrote:

still just me wrote:

[...]

The poison is in the dose. The amount of water in the beer
is irrelevant. Alcohol interferes with the action
of ADH (antidiuretic hormone) on the kidney.
As long as EtOH is in the system
the kidneys pass more water than they normally would,
changing the ionic balance in tissue and fluids.

http://www.tuberose.com/Kidneys.html

--
Michael Press

Coffee, with sugar [email protected] Racing 6 February 7th 07 08:59 AM
My new coffee table Tom Crispin UK 15 November 3rd 06 09:48 AM
Coffee Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 2 April 17th 06 02:10 AM
Coffee DeF Australia 29 September 23rd 05 08:01 AM
Help: Need bottle for my coffee John Doe Australia 22 August 4th 03 05:03 PM