"hit him back first"

Old June 4th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
TimR

Default "hit him back first"

Wait a second, just had a thought.

Ride in front of him and get off the bike.

As he approaches, leap over his handlebars and take him off the bike
with a flying side kick.

Lots easier than with a horse, because there's not much chance of him
rearing up suddenly like horses do when you jump over their head.

Don't ask me how I know. You know how I know. I made that part
up.

Old June 4th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Shuurai

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? *Where is the point of no return?

how exactly do you hit someone back, first? *If you hit first, you
aren't hitting them back.

Those of us who actually train understood that it was a play on words,
and that he was talking about pre-emptive self-defense.

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the first aggressive move.

Wrong again. We can add self-defense law to the long, long list of
things that you know nothing about.

A person who reasonably apprehends bodily harm by another is
priviliaged to exercise reasonable force to repel the assault.
Old June 4th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Shuurai

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the first aggressive move.

Not in Canada.

Nor in the United States.

Old June 4th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:54:13 -0700 (PDT), Shuurai
wrote:

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? *Where is the point of no return?

how exactly do you hit someone back, first? *If you hit first, you
aren't hitting them back.

Those of us who actually train understood that it was a play on words,
and that he was talking about pre-emptive self-defense.

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the first aggressive move.

Wrong again. We can add self-defense law to the long, long list of
things that you know nothing about.

A person who reasonably apprehends bodily harm by another is
priviliaged to exercise reasonable force to repel the assault.

but you have to prove it. You most likely will need witnesses to
corroborate your story, or perhaps not in the case of a 2 times
convicted assault felon with "kill everyone" tatooed on his forehead
with a great big nasty knife in his possession. Make no mistake about
it though, you thinking all you need do is simply say you felt
threatened and that is enough, fugeddaboutit. The burden of proof
will be on you and you will need to convince a jury you were afraid.

but perhaps that wouldn't be that hard for you.

Hal
Old June 4th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:10:16 -0700, "Zen Cohen"
wrote:

news
wrote:

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? Where is the point of no return?

how exactly do you hit someone back, first? If you hit first, you
aren't hitting them back.

Those of us who actually train understood that it was a play on words,
and that he was talking about pre-emptive self-defense.

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the first aggressive move.

Wrong again. We can add self-defense law to the long, long list of
things that you know nothing about.

A person who reasonably apprehends bodily harm by another is
priviliaged to exercise reasonable force to repel the assault.

but you have to prove it.

The rule varies among the states (in the USA) but generally the defendant
must raise self-defense, then the state must disprove the defense beyond a
reasonable doubt.

You most likely will need witnesses to
corroborate your story, or perhaps not in the case of a 2 times
convicted assault felon with "kill everyone" tatooed on his forehead
with a great big nasty knife in his possession. Make no mistake about
it though, you thinking all you need do is simply say you felt
threatened and that is enough, fugeddaboutit. The burden of proof
will be on you and you will need to convince a jury you were afraid.

Seems that the less people know about things the more confident they are in
espousing how much they know.

it varies somewhat as you say, but bottom line is you have to convince
a jury that you feared for your life. If you assault someone first,
and you are charged, you are the defendent and the charges are leveled
against you. Presuming they have enough evidence to convict, your
only hope is to convince the jury you feared for your life. If the
other person didn't have a weapon, that will be much harder. If you
are an accomplished martial artist, and the other guy didn't have a
weapon, you are pretty much ****ed. If you kung fu some guys ass for
yelling at you and you are a black belt and train BJJ and whatever,
and the guys lawyer or prosecutor gets hold of that information you
might as well get your asshole lubed up because you are going to
prison. Damned hard to convince a jury that some nutter screaming at
you on his bicycle made you fear for your life when you've been
training hard in a martial art 3-4 days a week for the past 10 years.

Hal
Old June 4th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

but you have to prove it. *You most likely will need witnesses to
corroborate your story, or perhaps not in the case of a 2 times
convicted assault felon with "kill everyone" tatooed on his forehead
with a great big nasty knife in his possession. *Make no mistake about
it though, you thinking all you need do is simply say you felt
threatened and that is enough, fugeddaboutit. *The burden of proof
will be on you and you will need to convince a jury you were afraid.

but perhaps that wouldn't be that hard for you.

Hal

You don't need to convince the jury that you were afraid, you need to
convince them that THEY would have been afraid.

Listen, just STFU about legal topics, ok? Stick to a topic you have
some knowledge on, like what angle is best to watch someone service
your wife.

Trav
Old June 4th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

The rule varies among the states (in the USA) but generally the defendant
must raise self-defense, then the state must disprove the defense beyond a
reasonable doubt.

That isn't true at all.

The defendant must establish that a reasonable person would have
feared imminent grave bodily harm, no more.

There is no issue of the State's burden of proof as to the commission
of the crime. An affirmative defense is an admission of the act.

Trav
Old June 4th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
N8N

On Jun 2, 9:53*pm, Sam the Bam wrote:
A minor confrontation yesterday... I'm out
riding my bicycle, some nut job on another
bike chases me, screaming. *It seems I
committed the crime of running a stop sign
(guilty guilty guilty). *He pulls along side,
still yelling. *I ignore him. *He's foaming at the
mouth. *I run another stop sign, he blows another
gasket, hahaha! *It's worth the price of admission.
Finally he peels away.

Now does that constitute a 'self defense situation?'
Not that I could do much, we're both on bikes... maybe
Sakuraba could pull off some kind of move, but I'm not
him... *does mma cover this?

For a moment I thought he might try to ram me,
then I would have gone ape****. *I wasn't carrying
anything, but I'm confident I can put my knuckles
through anyone's nose.

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? *Where is the point of no return?

Sam

Next time stop at the damn stop sign, or at least a "california
stop." I'm sick and tired of assholes like you daring me to hit you
when I'm driving. I'm scared that someday I'm not going to be paying
close enough attention and actually hit one of you dickwads.

nate

(seriously, this is a HUGE problem in my area. Just obey the damn
law, asshole.)
Old June 4th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Pboud

Next time stop at the damn stop sign, or at least a "california
stop." I'm sick and tired of assholes like you daring me to hit you
when I'm driving. I'm scared that someday I'm not going to be paying
close enough attention and actually hit one of you dickwads.

nate

(seriously, this is a HUGE problem in my area. Just obey the damn
law, asshole.)

Look, man.. We're all friends here.. Seriously, you should just come out
and say what you mean. Don't mince words like that, just go for it...

P.
Old June 4th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
N8N

On Jun 4, 2:49*pm, Pboud wrote:
Next time stop at the damn stop sign, or at least a "california
stop." *I'm sick and tired of assholes like you daring me to hit you
when I'm driving. *I'm scared that someday I'm not going to be paying
close enough attention and actually hit one of you dickwads.

nate

(seriously, this is a HUGE problem in my area. *Just obey the damn
law, asshole.)

Look, man.. We're all friends here.. Seriously, you should just come out
and say what you mean. Don't mince words like that, just go for it...

It did touch a nerve as I just saw two more suicyclists while driving
this AM.

Let's be honest, most cyclists would be livid if a driver ran a stop
sign into their path, and this double standard is doing nothing for
cyclist-motorist relations.

nate