Chain waxing

Old June 6th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 4:12:20 PM UTC+1, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT),
Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:05:28 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about
chain lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a
hot mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50%
of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say
it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is
almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with
some paper towel. I do not know yet when I will have to wax it
again, but it seems to hold pretty well.

Seems to me chain cleaning and waxing is another
sadomasochistic practice that cyclists without the imagination
to do something more productive have brought on themselves.
Socially, it's a leftover from when cycling was a workingman's
sport, which has no place in an age when cycling is in the main
middle-class virtue-signalling, and almost any bike the
equivalent in quality of a between-wars Raleigh tourer costs an
obscene amount of money.

Of course, if chain cleaning and waxing defines who you are,
like going to church on Sundays, don't pay any attention to me;
I wouldn't dream of criticizing your religion.

Well, for me it's as simple as wishing to throw the bike in the
back of the car (or pack it for travel) without having to worry
about a greasy chain. No religion, other than the spiritual boost
I get from actually riding the darn thing.

A little, a very little thought will tell any cyclist that he
can run the chain for its entire life on the factory lube, and
in the process win a permanently clean bike.

All it takes is a hub gearbox (or a single speed of any flavor
you fancy), a Hebie Chainglider or lesser chain enclosure, and
a chain from a manufacturer who uses quality lube (KMC is good
and cheap besides). Then you never again need to clean a chain
or clusters or chainrings or anything else to which the chain
has spread its filth.

I assume this is all meant facetiously.

No.

Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Don't worry. When I tell a joke on RBT, I first tell you I'm going to tell you a joke, then I tell you the joke, then I tell you I told you a joke, and where you should laugh.

Andre Jute
No problem
Old June 6th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

No more than using an electric cooker to melt wax for a chain.
Skip the whole thing and go with an IGH and chain guard. I
personally run my chain through a sealed oil bath -- after
carefully cleaning each link.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

OMG, I'm severally chastised. How will I survive?

Seriously, it's a very simple process, and less work than cleaning
and relubing a chain. I'm not advocating it as suitable for
anyone else, just desribing how it works for me. If that warrants
chastising, I have to wonder who are the real religious zealots.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 6th 18, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Oh, ha ha! I get it now.

Andre Jute
No problem

Thanks.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 6th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

As the doomed Heise stands on a bare stage, the chorus
starts a rumbling 'rhubarb' with ascending volume pierced by
shouts of 'stone the heretic'. Curtain closes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 6th 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Waiting for Wippermann

Act I

(two men stand on a bare dirt mound with only a dead tree, a tattered bicycle and a crock pot, its cord stretching off to infinity)

Vladamir: Wax must be put on every week, I'm tired telling you that. Why don't you listen to me?

Estragon: What do you say? Hot wax? I am too old and tired.

[intermission]

-- Jay Beckett.
Old June 7th 18, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 06/06/18 23:32, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:18:53 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about
chain lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a
hot mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50%
of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say
it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is
almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with
some paper towel. I do not know yet when I will have to wax it
again, but it seems to hold pretty well.

I waxed my chain this weekend and finally had the opportunity
to take the bike out yesterday. The chain is very quiet and
runs quite smoothly. Shifting wasn't as precise as it was
before, but I'm thinking it should come back to normal once
more of the excess wax flakes off. The only downside was that I
didn't clean the chain scrupulously before waxing it, and once
I started sliding it around in the pot, a black cloud emanated
from the chain and engulfed the bottom of the pot, completely
obscuring the chain. I now have a pot of dark black wax, which
I may just chuck in the garbage. Hopefully the second waxing
will be less expensive.

Oh, let me add that even with 100% parrafin wax, it becomes dark
and opaque after a use or two. I think it may be from dirt or
wear debris from the chain itself.

Yes, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. My pot of wax/oil has been
used dozens of times and the chains don't seem to wear faster now than
before.

--
JS
Old June 7th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 07/06/18 00:35, Joerg wrote:

It doesn't sound very healthy for the chain to soak it in dirty wax.

Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as I can tell.

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed by
a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I apply
White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a Q-Tip to
dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings depending
on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets dirtier on roads.
40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The upside is that this
method does not require me to take the chain off the bike which I would
really dread.

Wow. I leave the original chain lube on from the manufacturer to begin
with. That probably lasts 1000km or more.

I just checked a chain I put on in January. It's done over 3200km and
"stretched" 1/8 of an inch over 50 inches, or about 0.25%. I've wax
lubed it twice since I installed the chain, about every 1000km. There
has been road works where I live for two months, so every ride I have to
cross several hundred metres of dirt in each direction. I've also
cycled some gravel roads for fun.

I don't dread taking the chain off my bike because I use a Connex quick
link, and once it is removed, it facilitates much easier cleaning of
other parts, like the rear derailleur jockey wheels for example.

--
JS
Old June 7th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-06-06 16:21, James wrote:
On 07/06/18 00:35, Joerg wrote:

[...]

KMC factory lube lasts me a about 500mi on the road bike but not on the
MTB. There the chain becomes noisy after 50mi no matter what. Most
singletrack is very dusty in this area and the chain gets a good dose of
water when crossing little creeks.

I don't dread taking the chain off my bike because I use a Connex quick
link, and once it is removed, it facilitates much easier cleaning of
other parts, like the rear derailleur jockey wheels for example.

I also have a KMC quick disconnect on the MTB but it's not very easy to
get off.

BTW, I found the old Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chains to be the best in terms
of rubustness and service life. Even better than the Wippermann chains I
used before. Unfortunately they are no longer made :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 7th 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2018-06-06 16:21, James wrote:
On 07/06/18 00:35, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Nothing works for Joerg.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 7th 18, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 11:41:09 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

Waiting for Wippermann

Act I

(two men stand on a bare dirt mound with only a dead tree, a tattered bicycle and a crock pot, its cord stretching off to infinity)

Vladamir: Wax must be put on every week, I'm tired telling you that. Why don't you listen to me?

Estragon: What do you say? Hot wax? I am too old and tired.

[intermission]

-- Jay Beckett.

Now I can ride off into the sunset, knowing that my heritage is safe in your hands, dear Jay.

Best Godot I ever saw was in Adelaide, the one in Australia, where an Aboriginal actor was cast as Lucky. The next day I was walking with this actor on North Terrace, inspecting Aboriginal art that was part of the biennial Festival of Arts, and we ran into the Governor of South Australia (we were literally in front of Government House), a clergyman who was also an Aboriginal but, unlike the usual Governor, not a politician, instead a scholar. Between the two of them they told me enough about the art on display that I wrote a double page spread for Nation Review about the Dreamtime, the cultural impetus of the Aboriginals, which much to my surprise I've several times seen quoted in scholarly texts; surprise because literally everything I knew -- then or since! -- I got from an actor and a clergyman in the space of an afternoon.

I always meant to tell Beckett this story next time I was in Paris, but just never got around to it; a few years later, when we lived in the Forest of Devres, I drove through Paris several times on my way to Italy but was always in too much of a hurry. Beckett would have appreciated the absurdity of the tale, especially the detail about Richard Condon (The Manchurian Candidate, those Prizzi tales, lots of other clever novels) marching up to us in the killer Australian heat all done up in a black suit with a waistcoat and an Englishman's black umbrella above his head (we, even the Governor, were in shirtsleeves) to thank me for putting him straight about a researcher for his book on Queen Caroline who incredibly missed Captain Gronow's Diaries...

Andre Jute
Not that shaggy, sir!

Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 3 June 30th 11 01:34 PM
Proper chain waxing techs Dave Techniques 7 September 13th 06 05:18 AM
Chain Waxing Followup HarryB Techniques 15 April 11th 06 02:35 AM
Chain waxing + graphite question HarryB Techniques 410 March 16th 06 02:57 AM
New chain waxing technique Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 9 February 2nd 06 06:04 AM