Approaching Milestone for ARBR

Old July 30th 05, 05:47 PM
Edward Dolan

Default Approaching Milestone for ARBR

For as long as I have been a member of ARBR, a certain Mr. Tom Sherman has
always been the most prolific poster. That is about to change very shortly,
unless he returns and resumes his one liner posts. Yours truly, Ed Dolan the
Great, is soon to overtake Tom Sherman and become the all time champion
poster to ARBR.

Here is the relevant information for those of you who are interested in such
esoterica:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...nt/about?hl=en

Moreover, my posts are not one liners without any content to them which was
often the case with Tom Sherman's posts. I never tried for this record
though. It just sort of happened due to all the wrangles I get into with
everyone here on ARBR.

When the big day arrives that I surpass Tom Sherman as the most prolific
poster, I will call everyone's attention to it. These are the sort of things
that I am good at. I am expecting that congratulations will be in order from
all and sundry.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 30th 05, 09:34 PM
Leif

Keep up the good work, Ed!

-Leif

(prolifoc lurker, occasional poster)

Old July 30th 05, 11:33 PM
Slugger

In article , Edward Dolan
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like somebody's mommy or daddy didn't give him enough attention
when he was a boy.
Old July 31st 05, 12:15 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:47:13 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

[...]

I'm not very much surprised to learn that you may be about to become
the most prolific poster to this group. I'll take your word on this as
I can't get excited enough to follow the link you conveniently
provide.

You should have a look at that link Mike. If you look at the number of posts
listed in the archives over the years you will note some very interesting
numbers. ARBR was at it's prime several years ago and has been in a decline
for the past couple of years. But the big falling off occurs after the
criminal vandal troll appears, each and every time. The group is slowly
making a recovery, but I don't believe it will ever get back to where it
once was.

Newgroups are actually very delicate creations. They can easily be destroyed
by a single criminal vandal troll. Those of us who cherish this group need
to defend it when it comes under attack. I did what I could the last time
around, but one person cannot defend the group. The group must rise as one
to defend itself. Old timers who do not defend the group against criminal
vandal trolls are beneath contempt and I reserve a special venom for them.

Tom Sherman left the group after the last episode. I was death on him
because he would not defend the group against the criminal vandal troll. I
treat most of the rest of the old timers with contempt too because of the
way they behaved when the criminal vandal troll ruined the group. Mr.
Meinecke, who caterwauls about improving the group, did absolutely nothing
when it came under attack. Cowards are just so despicable.

Somehow I don't find that trooly equatable with 'champion' poster.
Didn't even realize there had been a competition running.

Indiana Mike

PS-congrats on your persistance.

Tom Sherman would keep track of stuff like this. He once brought it to the
attention of the group that he and I were responsible for a thread that had
gone on for almost 600 posts. This is what happens when one Billy goat
encounters another Billy goat. We butt heads until we become senseless and
drop from exhaustion. I could generally out last Tom Sherman, but it was
never an easy thing to do.

There are at present no others on ARBR who can compare to Tom Sherman for
stubborn resistance to the brilliance and genius of Ed Dolan the Great. I
always respected Mr. Sherman no matter how much I disagreed with him because
he played the game of newsgroup fair and square. The only types I cannot
stand are criminal vandal trolls of which ARBR has thankfully had only a
few.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 31st 05, 12:19 AM
Edward Dolan

"Slugger" wrote in message
In article , Edward Dolan
wrote:

[...]

Still, it is not easy to post more than 5000 messages to a newsgroup in just
a couple of years. If you don't think so, try it sometime.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 31st 05, 02:45 AM
Edward Dolan

"Leif" wrote in message
ups.com...
Keep up the good work, Ed!

-Leif

(prolifoc lurker, occasional poster)

I will overlook your top posting - this once!

Leif, I write for quiet souls like you, not for the cantankerous and
altogether despicable regulars who exasperate me no end with their
confounded opinions. Why is it that everyone cannot just agree with me 100%
on my every utterance. That is the way to peace and harmony in the universe.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

Old July 31st 05, 03:41 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
Apologies to the group for this long-ish post.

Nothing much ever gets said in a short post. Those who post one liners are
without exception idiots.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:15:54 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

OK, I did check out the link. Interesting, indeed.

I found this group in mid '03 while deciding which recumbent I to buy.
The decline (I'm guessing you are referring to the decline in numbers
of posts...I also wonder about percentage of relevent (not necessarily
'on topic' ones as well) was already begun, apparently, but I being
new was unaware.

I did look up those years when there were thousands of posts. Most of them
were idiotic posts by idiots who were saying absolutely nothing at all.

I found this group to be a good source of information and to contain a
wide variety of perspectives, mostly related to recumbent cycling. The
decline did not gain my notice until fairly recently, I see that about
five months back the numbers of posts took the biggest drop ever.

Frankly I blamed this on the likes of you and Mr. Sherman. Notice the
past tense in that sentaence.

You are quite wrong about that Mike. Mr. Sherman and I were feuding from day
one for a couple of years and that did not affect the numbers posting to
ARBR. The deadwood from Florida soon decided to leave and it was good
riddance to them. But what did affect it was the criminal vandal troll. A
newsgroup can only take so much cussing and swearing before many decide to
leave forever.

The criminal vandal troll never posted under his own name (always using
proxy addresses) and used other's names fraudulently. He was nothing but a
criminal and the group, while recognizing this, refused to condemn it - most
likely for fear of coming under attack themselves. Such cowardice turns my
stomach!

I don't use kill filing, but believe it to be appropriate in the case
of the vandal trolls you describe. I am sure, however, that I was not
the only reader to be discouraged when viewing the latest batch of
posts only to find that the useful ones were buried among a seemingly
never ending list of a couple of brats teasing each other.

You are unable to make discriminations. One was a criminal brat who was bent
on destroying the group and the other was trying to save the group. Kill
filing is the coward's way out. I simply can't tell you how much I abhor
those types. Criminal vandal trolls must be fought the same way that Islamic
terrorists must be fought. All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men
do nothing.

It seemed this group was being buried. The criminal types were
obvious, and I generally subscribe to the theory that if they got no
feedback boredom would drive them elsewhere. However, if a
cantankerous old goat insisted on butting heads with them they would
derive the only pleasure in their sad little lives and settle in for
the long haul.

I do not leave a battle unfought. Your attitude is what brings disgrace on a
newsgroup. It is a typical liberal reaction when confronted with criminal
types. It is far better to go down to defeat than to leave the field of
battle. Furthermore, you are equating that which cannot be equated. I always
posted fair and square, something that the criminal vandal troll never did.

Newgroups are actually very delicate creations. They can easily be
destroyed
by a single criminal vandal troll. Those of us who cherish this group need
to defend it when it comes under attack. I did what I could the last time
around, but one person cannot defend the group. The group must rise as one
to defend itself. Old timers who do not defend the group against criminal
vandal trolls are beneath contempt and I reserve a special venom for them.

Remember the old saw,'never argue with a fool, your audience might not
be able to tell the difference?' I think your battles with the trolls
may have prolonged their stay. You never let any thread die without at
least one more jab, niether would the true (am I spelling this word
correctly? My poor IDIOT mind seems to have a special problem with it)
troll.

You are equating that which cannot be equated. The fact is that I am not a
troll, but believe me if I wanted to be a troll I would know how from my
experience with the criminal vandal troll. I could easily destroy this
newsgroup so no one, not even you, would ever come here again. The fact is
that it is easy to destroy something. It is not so easy to build something.

It never ceases to amaze me how some take to the tall grass when the going
gets rough. Frankly, the only virtue I admire unreservedly is courage
because courage makes all the other virtues possible.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 31st 05, 05:39 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:41:33 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

[...]
You are equating that which cannot be equated. The fact is that I am not a
troll, but believe me if I wanted to be a troll I would know how from my
experience with the criminal vandal troll. I could easily destroy this
newsgroup so no one, not even you, would ever come here again. The fact is
that it is easy to destroy something. It is not so easy to build
something.

Glad to hear you consdider yourself constructive. I don't think I;d
like to see you *try* to be offensive.

I do not intentionally try to be offensive, but I only have so much patience
for idiocy and stupidity. Whenever I get fed up with this group, I
investigate other newsgroups and I quickly learn what TOTAL idiocy is all
about. ARBR is not so bad as it is mostly composed of elderly types like
myself. There is a certain wisdom which comes with age that the young cannot
know until they advance in age themselves.
[...]

Carry on Ed.

Well, yes, but I do expect the support of others who are experienced in life
and who will know how to deal with a criminal vandal troll other then
running and kill filling.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old August 1st 05, 01:58 PM
Jeff Grippe

Clearly you are confusing quantity with quality. This is quite a mistake for
one as great as you. Generally I've found that as one increases the other
tends to diminish. I'm certain that you consider yourself an exception. That
thought doesn't make you exceptional, however.

Old August 1st 05, 02:23 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
Clearly you are confusing quantity with quality. This is quite a mistake
for one as great as you. Generally I've found that as one increases the
other tends to diminish. I'm certain that you consider yourself an
exception. That thought doesn't make you exceptional, however.

Clearly someone who top posts like a newbie does not have a clue about what
constitutes a quality post. Once you get the technique of posting learned,
then we can discuss whether your posts have any quality or not.

I learned proper posting technique by observing the posts of Tom Sherman. He
was the most correct poster ever to inhabit the precincts of ARBR. However,
it is possible to post even more correctly as a scholar would, but that is
overkill for ARBR. After all, there is no here but us idiots.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

New milestone: metric century rubic Unicycling 16 September 21st 08 10:26 PM
approaching horses sean UK 31 January 24th 05 09:37 AM
OT you know Christmas is approaching when; MartinM UK 9 November 26th 04 05:49 PM
Milestone Mandell Unicycling 4 August 23rd 03 09:02 AM