Selecting a Bike

Old July 12th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Selecting a Bike

The 7100 price went up a bit than since my wife bought one. I would
suggest the OP try this as it seems ideal for their needs. The C'dale
is a great choice but likely costs more

On Jul 12, 12:11*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jul 12, 7:44*am, wrote:

Avoid that 29" hype BS. *You would be served well by a bike such as a
Trek 7100 which has a front suspension , shock seatpost and wider 700c
tires. *They cost about $360. *Avoid x mart type bikes and the dual
suspensions. *MTB's usually have a hunched over position and your
hands and neck will suffer. *Your shop is right about a comfort type
bike

The 7100 is more like $450, but it's a fine bike. I flipped a yard
sale example I found for $50 on Craigslist last summer. It's got
enough squidgy bits to make a person getting back to riding happy, but
it's plenty fast compared to the misery of a mtb on pavement.

Old July 12th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 12, 12:14*pm, wrote:
The 7100 price went up a bit than since my wife bought one. I would
suggest the OP try this as it seems ideal for their needs. *The C'dale
is a great choice but likely costs more

The 7000 lists at $360 w/o the front doinger. It's shaped the way an
all round bike should be shaped, other than the fact that in 'merica
the things come with pesky external gearing ;-).

Wait, there's always the Lime Lite...

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...lime/limelite/

Old July 13th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

Still have some issues I'd like to resolve however.
What are the disadvantages of a woman's bike over a man's?...

Greater weight and lower torsional frame rigidity. These are not
significant in moderate riding.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.

Moderate riding?
Exactly what is moderate riding?
BTW, the saleman at the LBS said that the woman bike weighs less that
the man, however that doesn't mean he's right, and unfornately, weight
is not given on the Giant website.

Old July 13th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

On Jul 12, 7:44*am, wrote:

Avoid that 29" hype BS. *You would be served well by a bike such as a
Trek 7100 which has a front suspension , shock seatpost and wider 700c
tires. *They cost about $360. *Avoid x mart type bikes and the dual
suspensions. *MTB's usually have a hunched over position and your
hands and neck will suffer. *Your shop is right about a comfort type
bike

The Trek 7100 looks like the Giant Cypress, so why the Trek 7100 over
the Cypress?
Katuzo
Old July 13th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

On Jul 12, 11:56*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jul 12, 1:33*am, Katuzo wrote:

No problem. *We mechanical engineers are always happy to educate
electricals! *;-)

Suspension (even in a seatpost) adds weight, complexity, expense and
maintenance. *Sometimes the benefits are worth it, but those
"sometimes" are almost always limited to very rough mountain biking.
If you're riding over baseball-sized rocks, suspension will save you
energy. *If you're riding over anything like a decently paved surface
(including crushed limestone rail-trails) the suspension wastes
pedaling energy and money.

The Cypress ST has a steel frame, while the std model has an aluminum
frame and front fork suspension, Would you consider this upgrade
worth it?

Remember, your fundamental "suspension" is your set of pneumatic
tires. *You've shown no interest in super-high-pressure (150 psi)
super-skinny (18mm) racing tires, so we don't have to talk you out of
those. *But within reason, wider tires will soak up ordinary bumps
just fine. *"Within reason" shouldn't include knobby tires, though.
They buzz horribly on pavement and give tons more rolling resistance.

Would it be fair to say that tires should be at least 1 1/4" for
comfort, and increasing the width to 1 3/4" would not noticable
increase the comfort level.
Katuzo
Old July 13th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Katuzo wrote:
Still have some issues I'd like to resolve however.
What are the disadvantages of a woman's bike over a man's?...

Greater weight and lower torsional frame rigidity. These are not
significant in moderate riding.

Moderate riding?
Exactly what is moderate riding?

The times when the lower torsional rigidity would become most apparent
are climbing hard while standing and sprinting. The other case where the
greater flexure of the frame would be apparent would be carrying a heavy
touring load.

BTW, the saleman at the LBS said that the woman bike weighs less that
the man, however that doesn't mean he's right, and unfornately, weight
is not given on the Giant website.

Highly unlikely a step-through [1] frame would weigh less than the
diamond frame version if the same tubing thicknesses are used.

[1] This is the better term, since many bicycles intended for women are
diamond frames.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 13th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Katuzo" wrote

:Would it be fair to say that tires should be at least 1 1/4" for
:comfort, and increasing the width to 1 3/4" would not noticable
:increase the comfort level.
:Katuzo

No one here can tell you what width tires are going to be comfortable for
you. You only weigh 170 lbs so you could possibly be comfortable on even
skinny road tires. Also, when you factor in saddle and handlebar issues
along with riding position, you're going to find that tires are only one
factor in comfort on a bike.

Old July 13th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

On Jul 12, 10:03 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Katuzo wrote:
Still have some issues I'd like to resolve however.
What are the disadvantages of a woman's bike over a man's?...
Greater weight and lower torsional frame rigidity. These are not
significant in moderate riding.

Moderate riding?
Exactly what is moderate riding?

The times when the lower torsional rigidity would become most apparent
are climbing hard while standing and sprinting. The other case where the
greater flexure of the frame would be apparent would be carrying a heavy
touring load.

BTW, the saleman at the LBS said that the woman bike weighs less that
the man, however that doesn't mean he's right, and unfornately, weight
is not given on the Giant website.

Highly unlikely a step-through [1] frame would weigh less than the
diamond frame version if the same tubing thicknesses are used.

That's what I thought also.

[1] This is the better term, since many bicycles intended for women are
diamond frames.

You're right. Step thru is actually a better name.
Katuzo
Old July 13th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I dont like Giant because they were among the first who used the
crappy compact road geometry. So it's personal. Try both and get the
one you like better as they are comparable so go by feel. Avoid any
with disc brakes. They are very difficult for layman to adjust and
add weight without any improvement in stopping power.
You would enjoy a cypress or 7100 - frames are likely made in the same
chinese factory. My wife tried the specialized hybrid and wasnt
thrilled. She rode the Trek and a smile appeared.

On Jul 12, 7:44*am, wrote:

Avoid that 29" hype BS. *You would be served well by a bike such as a
Trek 7100 which has a front suspension , shock seatpost and wider 700c
tires. *They cost about $360. *Avoid x mart type bikes and the dual
suspensions. *MTB's usually have a hunched over position and your
hands and neck will suffer. *Your shop is right about a comfort type
bike

The Trek 7100 looks like the Giant Cypress, so why the Trek 7100 over
the Cypress?
Katuzo- Hide quoted text -