Eurostar backs down over bike box rule

Old November 14th 15, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Eurostar backs down over bike box rule

QUOTE:
"Cyclists will be able to take unboxed, complete bicycles on the Eurostar - following campaigns against a new policy, uncovered by road.cc, to make cyclists dismantle and box up their bikes to travel from Sunday 1 November.

Following a CTC campaign, 'Zero Stars for Eurostar', Eurostar's Head of EU Public Affairs Pierre Delalande contacted the campaign group late last night to say: "You will be pleased to know that we are not intending to go ahead with the requirement for all bikes to be carried in boxes and will accept fully-mounted bikes."

More than 9,500 people signed up to the 'Zero Stars for Eurostar' campaign by CTC and the ECF (European Cyclists' Federation).

CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy said: "It's fantastic news that the views of so many of our members and other cyclists across Europe have been listened to. This proves how a successful, well-run campaign can be a massive force for good and make things happen."

http://road.cc/content/news/171196-e...-bike-box-rule
Old November 14th 15, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 14/11/2015 08:24, Alycidon wrote:

CTC Chief Executive Paul Tuohy said: "It's fantastic news that the
views of so many of our members and other cyclists across Europe have
been listened to. This proves how a successful, well-run campaign can
be a massive force for good and make things happen."

Just goes to show what a group of ******* who don't have a life can
pester people into doing.

Old November 14th 15, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

[...]

I remember that Eurostar (on which I have travelled for exactly two
return journeys) even charges a substantial amount for carriage of a
musical instrument in the main seating area.

The charge for a complete assembled bicycle must effectively be
unaffordable.

Or is it?

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/luggage-services

QUOTE:
Bicycles - £25 - £30 (view details)
Large, unwieldy items (e.g. large musical instruments) - £30
Old November 14th 15, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 00:24:43 -0800 (PST), Alycidon
wrote:

Following a CTC campaign, 'Zero Stars for Eurostar', Eurostar's Head of EU Public Affairs Pierre Delalande contacted the campaign group late last night to say:
"You will be pleased to know that we are not intending to go ahead with the requirement for all bikes to be carried in boxes and will accept fully-mounted bikes."

More than 9,500 people signed up to the 'Zero Stars for Eurostar' campaign by CTC and the ECF (European Cyclists' Federation).

The magazine forgot the last bit :-

"After careful thought and planning we have taken the decision to
continue to allow fully mounted bikes on board but of course this can
only be a small number because of the space constraints."

So less work for the dainty hands of the Lycristas (who apparently
don't know how to remove a bicycle wheel, I presume they call the AA
when they have a puncture) but the consequence of the campaign is room
for less of them to travel.

Old November 14th 15, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

wrote:

[...]

Last time I took my bike on a train there was only room for 3-4 cycles anyway so there has been no real +/- change. Our local ferry can take 100's with no problem at all, so I would use that option instead of faffing around with Eurostar.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pon_Hull_5.jpg
Old November 14th 15, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 14 November 2015 08:24:44 UTC, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:
"Cyclists will be able to take unboxed, complete bicycles on the Eurostar - following campaigns against a new policy, uncovered by road.cc, to make cyclists dismantle and box up their bikes to travel from Sunday 1 November.

Plenty of room now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...e-caution.html

Old November 15th 15, 05:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

"Cyclists will be able to take unboxed, complete bicycles on the Eurostar - following campaigns against a new policy, uncovered by road.cc, to make cyclists dismantle and box up their bikes to travel from Sunday 1 November.

Plenty of room now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...e-caution.html

It would be interesting to know the number of cyclists killed by Islamic terror attacks.

Organizers need to be careful about the 2016 Tour de France, but other than such iconic events and places, I bet it is nearly zero.

Terrorists need to operate in close quarters. A bomb just doesn't get it on a hill climb.

Bret Cahill

UCI changes a rule and disqualifies everybody since the rule's inception Free Willy Racing 3 November 5th 12 07:23 PM
Big Honking Bike Light (was: about f'ing time (bike rule enforcement)) Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 4 August 28th 08 05:32 AM
Eurostar St Pancras access Graham Harrison[_2_] UK 0 October 23rd 07 08:14 PM
Bikes on Eurostar? J. Chisholm UK 5 May 24th 07 10:31 AM
Tour of Flanders by Eurostar Mark UK 2 January 21st 06 10:26 PM