Lotto to sue Astana, Vino

Old July 26th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Lotto to sue Astana, Vino

I predicted this would happen.

Predictor-Lotto to sue Vino and Astana

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...l07/jul26news3

Will this clean up the sport ? money is a very powerful motivator.

Old July 26th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article . com,
" wrote:

I predicted this would happen.

Predictor-Lotto to sue Vino and Astana

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...l07/jul26news3

Will this clean up the sport ?

No.

This seems pretty pitiful to me.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 26th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_3_]

Howard Kveck writes:

In article . com,
" wrote:

I predicted this would happen.

Predictor-Lotto to sue Vino and Astana

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...l07/jul26news3

Will this clean up the sport ?

No.

This seems pretty pitiful to me.

What we need is Mr. Clean

http://azurservers.com/rbr/mrclean.jpg

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
-
Old July 26th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Dans le message de
,
Howard Kveck a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
In article . com,
" wrote:

I predicted this would happen.

Predictor-Lotto to sue Vino and Astana

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...l07/jul26news3

Will this clean up the sport ?

No.

This seems pretty pitiful to me.

I'm not quite in agreement. What has happened is the exposure of the gulf
between "sport" and commercial entertainment. The big end of the pyramid is
populated by the vast majority of cyclists, and the top by the monopolies
(UCI, ASO, IOC). Power and money are concentrated at the top, and the blind
idiocy of all national federations has been to push riders to go there.
"Grass roots" programs are not designed to encourage sport or sportsmanship,
but to identify contenders, and to move them along. Those who happily
contest their weekly club races, who challenge you to the next stop sign -
those are guys I am happy to ride with, to help out with a spare tube, to
share some beer with.

There's nothing wrong with top-level competition, so long as it remains a
sport, and there is reason to admire the people who compete at that level.
But when money comes into the equation, lots of money, lots of power,
"sport" disappears.

Just looking at the published basis for the lawsuit shows what is really
important - it's the capacity to gain a corporate return on investment. I
invest, also, in cycling. I ride and I try to go faster. I have bought
bikes and stuff I thought could suit those goals. I don't train any more,
because it's been a while since I was young enough to impress.

When club riders look at their club jerseys, do they imagine that their
sponsors just love cycling so very much, that the support is just a
benevolent gift to the sport? My club, this past 2 years, has had its first
sponsors, small time businesses. I didn't buy a jersey. I don't think the
local Peugeot dealer really cares about me.

It's OK to admire the great riders. And it's not important whether they ate
bran flakes or injected insulin to the top. Great riders are there because
they have the genetics, the drive, and the need to win. Being the first or
the eleventh loser is not important when we engage in sport, but winning is
everything when it's a business. TV time for a jersey, for example. That's
a kind of winning. I think of the multitude of things I have done as a
lawyer to win, and some of it bothers me, still. That's why I am hanging it
up, right now, this summer. I don't plan to ride in the winter - I'll
cross-country ski - or I'll get fat and fill out that Mad Dog "Wide Load"
jersey my daughter gave me a while ago.

Bicycle sport is virtually absent as a subject of discussion in this forum.
I'll continue to read the comments of fellow riders, maybe comment. But so
long as Big Cycling's focus remains on money, I don't plan to take any of it
seriously. Not the excuses of Millar, a born-again angel, not the evasions
of yesterday's yellow jersey holder, not the feigned indignation of
Prudhomme, quasi-monopolist power grabber and Grand Inquisitor.

It's pitiful, to be sure, but it doesn't deserve the attention we seem to be
giving it.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old July 26th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Davey Crockett" wrote in message

Will this clean up the sport ?

No.

This seems pretty pitiful to me.

What we need is Mr. Clean

http://azurservers.com/rbr/mrclean.jpg

Great. Another muscle-y, bald headed guy.

Old July 27th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article , "Sandy"
wrote:

Dans le message de
,
" wrote:

[...]

Well put, Sandy. You know, I'm quite aware of the commercial entertainment aspects
of this sport and the influence it has on the sport. The threat of a suit over this
really brings it into a very sharp focus and that's the part I don't really care for.
I suppose you could say it's like seeing the sausage making process from the very
start to the finish - once you've seen that, you may not want to have so much sausage
in the future. Obviously, the sponsors aren't there for altruistic reasons (though I
believe there are some who are more enthusiastic about the *sport* than others), so
they certainly will expect a return on their investment. Plus, it seems like a step
onto a slippery slope.

Prudhomme is an annoying guy, isn't he?

Old July 27th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Howard Kveck wrote:
I suppose you could say it's like seeing the sausage making process from the very
start to the finish - once you've seen that, you may not want to have so much sausage
in the future.

Its more like seeing the andoulette making process.

Vino Positive - Astana Pulls Out Jack Hollis Racing 86 July 28th 07 02:30 AM
Davitamon-Lotto becomes Predictor-Lotto.. [email protected] Racing 13 November 16th 06 03:40 PM
Davitamon-Lotto becomes Predictor-Lotto gplama Australia 12 November 9th 06 09:17 AM
Astana [email protected] Racing 1 August 16th 06 06:56 PM
Astana-Wurth and Vino Simon Brooke Racing 2 July 1st 06 06:44 AM