Chain Cleaning "toy"

Old July 9th 03, 10:52 PM
Scott C

Default Chain Cleaning "toy"

Funny how things work sometimes.. I'm fairly new to bike repair /
maintenance, but have totally disassembled a derailleur - or how ever you
spell it, I've replace all cables / housings and readjusted everything - and
it still works.. but I have some hesitation to punching out a chain link to
take the chain off. I know if I did it once, I'd think no big deal..
anyway.. I was headed into REI to guy the chain tool and I walked in with
some guy, a bike seat in his hand, and we started talking.. my 1st question,
do you ride a lot - 'fair amount', 2nd question, how often do you clean your
chain - 'every 2 weeks' - I said, "you take your chain off every 2 weeks!"..
"no, I use a little bath thing that the chain runs through".. now I'm
interested for sure.. "and I take the chain off about every 2 months".. I
bought this little blue bath thing, pour in solution / degreaser, run the
chain backwards 30 pedals, dump, do it again.. so easy.. OK, not as great as
taking the chain off, but works reasonably well I think. At least I feel
better. There are 3 sprockets the chin goes through w/brushed on them, a
side cleaning brush, and a sponge at the end for drying the chain - getting
rid of excess moisture. Cost $25.. not to bad.

Maybe those like me will want to know about this - as I have not seen it
posted before.

Scott

Old July 9th 03, 11:50 PM
Scott C

Thanks, I plan to do this, maybe every riding season - as I don't ride that
much, but plan to do this throughout the winter - when at all possible.

sc

"Dave Thompson" wrote in message

"Scott C" wrote in message
[...]

Another facet of chain cleaning involves taking your chain off

periodically
to give it a THOROUGH cleaning. To make this easier, use the appropriate
(8-sp or 9-sp) SRAM chain link. Hand-removable and reusable, it makes the

job much easier. They also make it easier for field repairs. Ever since I
'discovered' the SRAM link, I've not purchased any more Shimano chain

pins.

Old July 10th 03, 12:40 AM
DiabloScott

Scott C wrote:
[...]

They work better than not cleaning your chain at all. They don't work as
well as taking your chain apart and agitating in solvent with the pins
vertical. You'll never damage a link from taking your chain apart to
clean it because you don't have to take it apart. They're a little messy
and will splatter dirty cleaning fluid on your wheel and frame. There
are at least three models available from reputable manufacturers and
they handle/attach a little differently so check them all out to see
which one you like better. I like mine just fine and use it whenever I
don't have anything else to do. Don't make the beginner mistake of using
gasoline instead of approved chain cleaner - the tool will melt before
your very eyes!

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Old July 10th 03, 02:13 PM
John Tserkezis

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

Get a quick release link like Super Link or SRAM. Then you won't need
the bath thingie.

From what I hear, they don't do that good a job anyway.

I've had some good sucess with mine. I use a connex chain link, and take the
chain off before running it over the bath scrubber.

It costs more (you have to buy the bath), it takes about the same time (you
have to clean it afterwards, otherwise the brushes don't last) and it's
marginally less mess than other methods.

Why do I use it? Zero effort. I hate doing fiddly scrubbing on the chain.
The bath scrubber doesn't need strength, dexterity, skill or patience. I clean
my chain way more often than I need, so the less it needs of the above, the better.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org

Old July 10th 03, 03:26 PM
Fritz M

I have one of those chain cleaning doo-dads. I used it once. Breaking
the chain, dropping it into a bottle of solvent and swishing isn't nearly
as messy as the chain cleaning device.

YMMV.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33| to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t
Old July 12th 03, 10:58 AM
David Kunz

Default Washing a chain

Jeff Stone wrote:
On 10 Jul 2003 09:30:45 +0950, DiabloScott
wrote:

They work better than not cleaning your chain at all. They don't work as
well as taking your chain apart and agitating in solvent with the pins
vertical. You'll never damage a link from taking your chain apart to
clean it because you don't have to take it apart. They're a little messy
and will splatter dirty cleaning fluid on your wheel and frame. There
are at least three models available from reputable manufacturers and
they handle/attach a little differently so check them all out to see
which one you like better. I like mine just fine and use it whenever I
don't have anything else to do. Don't make the beginner mistake of using
gasoline instead of approved chain cleaner - the tool will melt before
your very eyes!

If putting liquid chain lube on a dirty chain will wash dirt into the
bushings, then why wouldn't a liquid chain cleaner do the same thing?
Shouldn't the chain be cleaned *dry*, to remove grit, before using any
liquid?

Lots of thin liquid washes the grit through and out.
Little thick liquid justs shifts some in.
I've heard of people using lots of lube to achieve the same goal and
wiping off the excess. I tried that for a while, but the wet lube
didn't work well for my riding -- too much dust loaded up the lube and
made grinding paste out of it.

David

Old July 12th 03, 11:05 AM
David Kunz

Scott C wrote:
[...]

You'll get lots of opinions. Here's mine .
I've tried both removing the chain and cleaning in solvent and just
using the cleaning tool (with their detergent and with simple green --
I've heard dish detergent's good also).

I found that the solvent approach (turpentine in my case) left the chain
too clean -- it removed the lube from inside the links where it is
difficult to get it back. Since I filtered and reused the solvent, over
time it built up lube in it that stayed behind when the solvent
evaporated, but not enough. My chains didn't last as long as with the
cleaning toys. I've heard that using diesel as a solvent works here
because it has lubricating properties and is not as good a solvent.

I found that some cleaning toys don't work as well as others. I don't
know what brand I ended-up with, it's not marked and I've been using it
for years. But, with a degreaser or simple green it works just fine.
Using it about every 200-400 miles (with my riding conditions and my
lube) provides the longest chain (and cog) life of everything that I've
tried. YMMV I also needed to make a cover for my disc brakes so that
splash from the cleaning didn't get grease on my rotor and mess-up my
braking sigh.

David

Old July 13th 03, 12:40 AM
DiabloScott

David Kunz wrote:
...I also needed to make a cover for my disc brakes so that splash
from the cleaning didn't get grease on my rotor and mess-up my
braking sigh.
David

I have an old hub and cassette that I use (no rim or spokes) when I'm
using the chain cleaner. Just take out the wheel, pop in the spokeless
hub and twirl away. Just as messy but it doesn't get on your wheel and
it's easier to wipe off of the frame without a wheel in there. Do it
outside or use a dropcloth.

Old July 13th 03, 01:23 PM
David Kunz

DiabloScott wrote:
David Kunz wrote:
...I also needed to make a cover for my disc brakes so that splash
from the cleaning didn't get grease on my rotor and mess-up my
braking sigh.
David

I have an old hub and cassette that I use (no rim or spokes) when I'm
using the chain cleaner. Just take out the wheel, pop in the spokeless
hub and twirl away. Just as messy but it doesn't get on your wheel and
it's easier to wipe off of the frame without a wheel in there. Do it
outside or use a dropcloth.

Neat Idea! I have an old bub laying around and will give that a try .
Thanks,
David