A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SRAM eTap Blips - Question



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 17th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 121
Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:54:57 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/16/2018 12:39 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:32:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

FWIW, I had to fabricate a plug for an oddball 12V DC connector for an
old piece of equipment. After cobbling together the metal contacts, I
used Sugru to mold a rubberish plug that held the contacts in the right
position. It's worked well.


Yep, that will work. I've used Sugru a few times but found it to be
rather expensive. So, I use RTV, Devcon something hard rubber molding
goo, Bondo (for a rock hard connector),
https://makezine.com/projects/make-40/fond-o-bondo/
various casting compounds, some weird stuff I picked up at a crafts
fai
https://www.smooth-on.com
urethane molding goo, acrylic resin, etc. For contacts, I use the
remains of the old power connector, or I fabricate something out of
brass strips, tubing, and shrink tube for insulation. Just about any
casting compound will work, as long as you use sufficient mold release
to keep it from sticking to the form. I made about ten crude power
connectors using slightly tapered holes drilled into a block of wood
as a form. The first 10 connectors came out of the mold easily.
However, I forgot to add more mold release on the 2nd batch and had to
chisel the connectors out of the forms. No matter how much I sand or
tape the shells, I continue to get splinters in my fingers when I
forget and just grab the shell.


I agree, the Sugru stuff is very expensive. When I heard about it I
thought "Oh, I'll buy some to try..." but the price seemed exorbitant.
Then I was given a pack of six or eight little sample envelopes as a
birthday gift. I've used two of them, and they worked well, but I notice
the rest are now past their expiration date.

Bondo seems like a good idea. A friend showed me that it's probably the
best wood filler available, assuming you'll be painting instead of
staining and varnishing. If you time it right, you can sand it to shape
very easily while it's partially set.


Bondo usually refers to the polyester based body filler used to repair
autos, but 3M now makes a "Bondo Wood Filler" specifically for wood
working. They - 3M - also make a number of other products for wood
working, for example a " Bondo« Rotted Wood Restoration" which can be
used to harden rotted wood it is impractical to cut it all away.
--
Cheers

John B.
Ads
  #12  
Old September 17th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,271
Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

On 9/16/2018 7:30 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:54:57 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/16/2018 12:39 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:32:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

FWIW, I had to fabricate a plug for an oddball 12V DC connector for an
old piece of equipment. After cobbling together the metal contacts, I
used Sugru to mold a rubberish plug that held the contacts in the right
position. It's worked well.

Yep, that will work. I've used Sugru a few times but found it to be
rather expensive. So, I use RTV, Devcon something hard rubber molding
goo, Bondo (for a rock hard connector),
https://makezine.com/projects/make-40/fond-o-bondo/
various casting compounds, some weird stuff I picked up at a crafts
fai
https://www.smooth-on.com
urethane molding goo, acrylic resin, etc. For contacts, I use the
remains of the old power connector, or I fabricate something out of
brass strips, tubing, and shrink tube for insulation. Just about any
casting compound will work, as long as you use sufficient mold release
to keep it from sticking to the form. I made about ten crude power
connectors using slightly tapered holes drilled into a block of wood
as a form. The first 10 connectors came out of the mold easily.
However, I forgot to add more mold release on the 2nd batch and had to
chisel the connectors out of the forms. No matter how much I sand or
tape the shells, I continue to get splinters in my fingers when I
forget and just grab the shell.


I agree, the Sugru stuff is very expensive. When I heard about it I
thought "Oh, I'll buy some to try..." but the price seemed exorbitant.
Then I was given a pack of six or eight little sample envelopes as a
birthday gift. I've used two of them, and they worked well, but I notice
the rest are now past their expiration date.

Bondo seems like a good idea. A friend showed me that it's probably the
best wood filler available, assuming you'll be painting instead of
staining and varnishing. If you time it right, you can sand it to shape
very easily while it's partially set.


Bondo usually refers to the polyester based body filler used to repair
autos, but 3M now makes a "Bondo Wood Filler" specifically for wood
working. They - 3M - also make a number of other products for wood
working, for example a " Bondo® Rotted Wood Restoration" which can be
used to harden rotted wood it is impractical to cut it all away.


Interesting. I have a can of the car body filler, so I'll probably
continue to use it until it's gone - which will probably be after I'm
gone. But it's good to know about the alternatives.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #13  
Old September 17th 18, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 6:30:25 PM UTC-4, ixiz wrote:
I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance


I have 3d printer so i dont use SHOEGOO or UVcure adhesives anymore

  #14  
Old September 17th 18, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

ixiz wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 6:30:25 PM UTC-4, ixiz wrote:
I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button
switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can
but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance


I have 3d printer so i dont use SHOEGOO or UVcure adhesives anymore



How would you print around the metal contacts?

  #15  
Old September 18th 18, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 11:08:49 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
ixiz wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 6:30:25 PM UTC-4, ixiz wrote:
I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button
switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can
but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance


I have 3d printer so i dont use SHOEGOO or UVcure adhesives anymore



How would you print around the metal contacts?


several methods you print the mold and it can be 2 halves
  #16  
Old September 18th 18, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 7:06:50 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 15:30:23 -0700 (PDT), ixiz
wrote:

I would like to know if the Sram blips - is just a momentary push button switch or is there additional electronics in it ?

If its just a momentary SPST switch - is the connector something i can but off the shelf like digikey or alike

Thanks in advance


According to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grLsmNIcaY
it's a simple normally open momentary switch.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558



I have a hard time locating a DC power connector plug that has a body less than 6mm. I may have to turn or shave down some i ordered and will post when i get them and make a set
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sram X.9 derailleur question [email protected] Techniques 0 June 24th 06 05:31 PM
What UPDs you most,Dips \/ or Blips /\ ? cheech Unicycling 13 October 5th 05 11:30 PM
SRAM powerlink question Bill Sornson Techniques 12 September 28th 05 06:32 PM
SRAM powerlink question Alex Rodriguez Techniques 2 September 19th 05 06:33 PM
SRAM X.0 Question Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 21 December 23rd 04 04:23 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.