Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or...

Old September 17th 05, 02:23 AM
The Nottingham Duck

Default Critical Mass - productive campaign to promote cycling or...

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:40:17 -0000, Mark

On 2005-09-16, The Nottingham Duck wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:51:40 -0000, Mark wrote:
Are you trolling?

Why is someone with a valid,but contrary,point automatically a troll ?

Why do you liberal-types always denounce people because they don't
agree with you ?

Why are you labelling me as a "liberal-type"?

Your contrary point isn't that contrary - I don't neccessarily agree
with CM either and I think it might be doing more damage than good - but
that wasn't my point.

Then what was your point?
It seemed to be trying to wind club members and time-triallist up.

[snip recommendation to promot cycling by running weekly/fortnightly TTs
in London]
Looks like you've entirely missed the point. CM is trying to promote
cycling as an alternative to using a car in a city,

So you admit it promotes cycling.Try reading the original post
again,more carefully.

How is that possible when its only done once a month ? If you wanted
to promote cycling as an alternative do it every week

Good point. I've no idea, I've nothing to do with CM. I doubt it is
helping, but I never said it was.

not trying to educate people on the benefits of cycling (other than
those gained by not driving a car). I can't possibly see how a
weekly central London time trial will develop anything but anger and
frustration from the public

But isn't that what Critical Mass is guilty of ?

See above.

So you believe that riding round central London on the busiest day of
the week for travelling is going to generate less hostility from
commuters than a well publicised weekend closed-off street circuit ?

Have you ever worked in London,obviously not.

I bet you an eighth of Skunk that more people were encouraged to get
back on their bikes by watching the London stage of ToB than by CM.

An eighth of skunk's no good to me, mate. More people probably did ride
after the ToB than CM, though.

So you admit that a high-profile street circuit is more successful
than a bunch of Greenies and Students riding round.
That pretty much contradicts your view that a regular circuit would be
pointless.

(inclucing the "real" cyclists who commute to or use bikes at
work) and a nice ego-stroking for you as you howl along the Thames
pretending to be Chris Boardman.

So you object to the legitimate use of London's streets by club
cyclists ? Why are you rejecting allies in this way ?

No, of course not. But I'm not naive enough to believe that closing off
the centre of the nation's largest city to hold a bike race each week
will do a lot more than wind people up in the long run.

Which people ?.

Have you ever visited London ?

So if these unkempt youth got their Leninist-Maoist tree-hugging
arses in gear then they could make a real impact. 3 laps of
Piccadilly Circus blowing whistles ain't gonna do it.

These unkempt youth don't want [1] to ride down the A1, arse-up, at
6am on a Sunday, they want to reduce the ridiculous number of cars
in cities. Of course, the effectiveness of CM is debatable (in a
different debate to this one) but something should be done to
demonstrate that often 4 wheels = bad, two wheels = good.

The benefits of cycling do need more promotion in this country, and
it'd be nice to see cycle sport having a leg-up too, but that's not
the stated point of CM. Don't go pretending it is.

I didn't say that CM existed to promote cycle sport.

Please read these messages carefully.

[1] It's possible that, yes, some of these ukempt youths are just
hoping to get into their comrades pants, but I'd hope that at least
some of them are there because they care for the cause.

This was a humurous opener on the need to build on cycling's recent
high profile in London. Since CM has been going for a while,without
much luck, then its obviously time to try a new campaign.

Correct. But it's not going to be acheived just by hosting more
competitive cycling events;

Then what do you propose?
Please enlighten us with the means to promote the "benefit of cycling"
and "cycle sport" without frequent high profile events ?

I dare say most people who could benefit
from cycling (people who just go short distances, mums on the school
run, etc) don't give a hoot about racing.

You seem to have an aversion to organised cycling,be it at local
amateur club level or ProTour.

Did some nasty clubbers laugh at your Asda mountain bike ?

We need a better
infrastructure, education and support from the government.

If you lived in the real world you'd know that cycling to school went
out with 'winklepickers' and 78's. It just isn't safe for the majority
of kids to ride to school.
Cycling in the daytime time is the only safe option they have.And
where better than on closed-off roads.

Red Ken was all over the ToB London Stage lika a rash,so now its time
to 'call in his tab' and get him to set up a regular street-cycling
facility.

Ken would be all over competitive tiddlywinks if it brought enough cash
to London's economy.

You only have to look at the success of the cycling events which
follow the routes of the big Tours to see that lesser cyclists love to
follow in their heroes tyre tracks.

Lesser sporting cyclists, yes.

What do define as a "sporting cyclist" ?

You seem to have confused the original post with an assertation on my
part that CM existed to promote the ToB and competetive club cycling
when this was never the case.
You admit yourself that CM exists to promote cycling,as I have pointed
out above.
If their ultimate goal is to remove cars from the roads it does not
alter the fact that they are currently employing the promotion of
cycling as a means to achieve this end.

In Holland everyone cycles because it's
sensible and the best way to travel. I doubt most of them care about
sporting cycling at all.

Your painful ignorance of Holland's love affair with professional and
amateur cycling leaves me with the impression that you live in
Timbuktu.
Do you actually own a bike,or do you just 'window-shop' at Wiggle,then
come here and tell everyone about the 'new' Trek Madone - just like
Lance's - that you just bought.

What's worrying is the apparent division between your lot and the
club fraternity.

'[my] lot'? Labelling me again, are you? I don't particularly disagree
with your views on CM

then why come back with a defence of CM and the demonisation of clubs
and TT's ?

I've never taken part myself and worry that some
people who do are taking the **** and giving cycling a bad name. I just
disagreed with your assertation that the goal of CM is to promote
cycling, when really it's about reducing car usage. The two may be close
but they're not the same.

So you admit to being a serial pedant,who knows he can't contribute
anything useful to a thread,but just nit-picks.
Well 'nitty',you missed the fact that I was given the wrong date in
the original message.A point that another poster picked up on.
Not so clever now ,are we.

Bye.
Old September 17th 05, 08:31 AM
Simon Brooke

in message . com, Peter
Headland ') wrote:

an eighth of Skunk

What in the world is Skunk?

'Skunk', m'lud, is a variety or cultivar of the herb Cannabis Sativa,
selected and prized for its pharmaceutical qualities. It is identified
by its pungent aroma.

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock

Old September 17th 05, 01:27 PM
Nobody Here

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, Peter
Headland ') wrote:

an eighth of Skunk

What in the world is Skunk?

'Skunk', m'lud, is a variety or cultivar of the herb Cannabis Sativa,
selected and prized for its pharmaceutical qualities. It is identified
by its pungent aroma.

And the complete ****e you talk when doing it, compounded by an reduced
ability to spot complete ****e as anything other than hilariously
amusing.

--
Nobby
Old September 17th 05, 02:20 PM
Mark

[snip entire message]

I just looked at some other u.r.c postings you've made. Damn. You *are*
a troll! Sucked in, this time

For reference, yes, I own more than one bike, I have been cycling for a
long time, I do care about the public perception of cycling and
cyclists, and I do compete in TTs, road races, MTB races and
cyclosportifs.

Thanks for the ride,

Mark
Old September 17th 05, 10:17 PM
Alan Braggins

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, Peter
Headland ') wrote:

an eighth of Skunk

What in the world is Skunk?

'Skunk', m'lud, is a variety or cultivar of the herb Cannabis Sativa,
selected and prized for its pharmaceutical qualities. It is identified
by its pungent aroma.

There's a bit in this weeks New Scientist saying that DNA analysis
suggests there may be a third subspecies of hemp, with Cannabis sativa sativa
and Cannabis sativa indica being joined by Cannabis sativa rasta.
Old September 18th 05, 10:34 PM
The Nottingham Duck

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:20:09 -0000, Mark
wrote:

[snip entire message]

I just looked at some other u.r.c postings you've made. Damn. You *are*
a troll! Sucked in, this time

For reference, yes, I own more than one bike, I have been cycling for a
long time, I do care about the public perception of cycling and
cyclists, and I do compete in TTs, road races, MTB races and
cyclosportifs.

Thanks for the ride,

Mark

As I mentioned before,isn't it funny that people who are losing
arguments always call the other person a 'troll' before vanishing in
shame.

Old September 18th 05, 10:35 PM
The Nottingham Duck

On 17 Sep 2005 12:27:04 GMT, Nobody Here
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, Peter
Headland ') wrote:

an eighth of Skunk

What in the world is Skunk?

'Skunk', m'lud, is a variety or cultivar of the herb Cannabis Sativa,
selected and prized for its pharmaceutical qualities. It is identified
by its pungent aroma.

And the complete ****e you talk when doing it, compounded by an reduced
ability to spot complete ****e as anything other than hilariously
amusing.

Paedophilia is another debilitating condition that impairs judgement.
Old September 18th 05, 11:04 PM
Mark Thompson

As I mentioned before,isn't it funny that people who are losing
arguments always call the other person a 'troll' before vanishing in
shame.

But Duck, it _was_ a troll.
Old September 18th 05, 11:21 PM
Nobody Here

The Nottingham Duck wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 12:27:04 GMT, Nobody Here
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, Peter
Headland ') wrote:

an eighth of Skunk

What in the world is Skunk?

'Skunk', m'lud, is a variety or cultivar of the herb Cannabis Sativa,
selected and prized for its pharmaceutical qualities. It is identified
by its pungent aroma.

And the complete ****e you talk when doing it, compounded by an reduced
ability to spot complete ****e as anything other than hilariously
amusing.

Paedophilia is another debilitating condition that impairs judgement.

So you *are* calling me a paedophile?

--
Nobby
Old September 19th 05, 03:54 AM
The Nottingham Duck

On 18 Sep 2005 22:21:41 GMT, Nobody Here
wrote:

The Nottingham Duck wrote:
On 17 Sep 2005 12:27:04 GMT, Nobody Here
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, Peter
Headland ') wrote:

an eighth of Skunk

What in the world is Skunk?

'Skunk', m'lud, is a variety or cultivar of the herb Cannabis Sativa,
selected and prized for its pharmaceutical qualities. It is identified
by its pungent aroma.

And the complete ****e you talk when doing it, compounded by an reduced
ability to spot complete ****e as anything other than hilariously
amusing.

Paedophilia is another debilitating condition that impairs judgement.

So you *are* calling me a paedophile?

I was stating the obvious.