Tour of California bike race - tour groups?

Old January 16th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Tour of California bike race - tour groups?

I will be in CA on business the week before the ToC and I am looking
for a group to bike the northern routes with during the race (2/18-23).
Any suggestions would be welcomed. If not an organized group, I would
also be interested in places to rent a decent road bike and/or infomral
groups to link up with that know the roads.

TIA,

KR

Old January 17th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

ruppelka wrote:
I will be in CA on business the week before the ToC and I am looking
for a group to bike the northern routes with during the race (2/18-23).
Any suggestions would be welcomed. If not an organized group, I would
also be interested in places to rent a decent road bike and/or infomral
groups to link up with that know the roads.

you may want to check out:
http://www.udctours.com/tourofca.html

+ravi
Old January 21st 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

ruppelka wrote:

I will be in CA on business the week before the ToC and I am looking
for a group to bike the northern routes with during the race (2/18-23).
Any suggestions would be welcomed. If not an organized group, I would
also be interested in places to rent a decent road bike and/or infomral
groups to link up with that know the roads.

TIA,

KR

I think Bike Connection in Menlo Park rents bike but not many shops in
the Bay Area. If you do some searching on the web and make some phone
calls to the bigger shops, you will get some results pretty fast.

If I was looking for groups, I would check out the local clubs. There
are so many that cover the first 3 stages that it doesn't make sense to
list them. Most have regular rides and generally welcome anyone. They
can also provide you a great source of information.

I am not aware of any organized group at the moment that is riding the
route. I have really just looked at Stage 2 and 3. Both are very
popular riding areas. There is nothing special to the route except one
small hill at the end of the 2nd stage. You might want to find out why
they pet the goat on the top of that climb once a year.

Old January 25th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I used Discover Tours for the Tour de Georgia last year and found them
to be excellent - I'm using them again this year. They are also doing
a Tour de CA tour:

http://www.discoveradventures.com/bi..._tours/tca.asp

Old January 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Thanks for all the replies. I also used Discover Adventure at the 2004
Tour de Georgia - it was an excellent experience. In working with them
this year on Tour of California I was informed that they have cancled
the trip due to lack of participants. KR