Denver airport to Estes Park route ?

Old June 25th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Denver airport to Estes Park route ?

I'm looking for a "reasonable" bicycle route from Denver Intl Airport
to Estes Park, where reasonable is reasonably safe, not necessarily the
shortest. Also, any recommendation for a map to support such a route?

Denis

Old June 25th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Denis wrote:
I'm looking for a "reasonable" bicycle route from Denver Intl Airport
to Estes Park, where reasonable is reasonably safe, not necessarily the
shortest. Also, any recommendation for a map to support such a route?

Denis

Take the Shamrock Shuttle (rideshamrock.com)
from DIA to Loveland/I-25. Ride west on U.S.34 to Estes. Don't need a
map. Major services in Loveland on U.S. 34; some services in the canyon.
Lots of traffic thru Loveland; moderate traffic in the canyon (Big
Thomson) but good shoulder most of the way.

Old June 25th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Denis wrote:
I'm looking for a "reasonable" bicycle route from Denver Intl Airport
to Estes Park, where reasonable is reasonably safe, not necessarily the
shortest. Also, any recommendation for a map to support such a route?

Denis

Taking a bus *is* a very reasonable way - to Loveland or to
Boulder/Longmont/Lyons (RTD to Boulder - and then even to Lyons).

If you need or want to ride your bike the whole way, I laid out some
detailed instructions for a good way to ride from DIA to Boulder in a
post here about a year ago.

Do a Google Groups search for - Riding from Denver to Boulder - and
you'll see my post from June 12, 2005.

You could use some or all of the route(s) I mentioned to go to Boulder,
then Lyons, and then Estes Park via highway 36. Or you could ride
farther north from DIA and take highway 66 from Platteville to Lyons, or
go all the way to Loveland if you so choose (and then take 34 up to
Estes Park).

I don't know which of the two, 34 or 36, is the safest for getting up
the mountain. There are some white line only spots on 36, this I know,
but the Colorado State Bicycling Map shows that they both have long
sections with shoulders 4 feet. I have never ridden on 34, so I don't
know exactly what conditions you'll find there.

Oh, ... and here's a great map (also mentioned in my year old post):
http://www.dot.state.co.us/BikePed/maps.htm

You can download your own PDF or email CDOT and they will send you a
free (water resistant) copy.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old June 25th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Do a Google Groups search for - Riding from Denver to Boulder - and
you'll see my post from June 12, 2005.

Thanks - I found this post. I actually did a search before posting but
used Estes Park instead of Boulder so I didn't pick this up on that
search.

Oh, ... and here's a great map (also mentioned in my year old post):
http://www.dot.state.co.us/BikePed/maps.htm

You can download your own PDF or email CDOT and they will send you a
free (water resistant) copy.

I managed to find this map on my own a while back and I got the water
resistant copy in the mail. It's a nice map and should be all I need,
along with Topo USA for elevation profiles, after I get out of the
Denver metro area.

Denis

The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Pablo Ricardo Mountain Biking 69 July 23rd 04 10:40 AM
Trip Report - Philadelphia - Ste. Anne de Beaupre, QUE and back Ron Wallenfang Rides 9 June 27th 04 05:35 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 01:16 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM