New randonneur handlebar

Old June 9th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default New randonneur handlebar

Got a Nitto B135 Randonneur at my LBS. Mounted fine in a Nitto Technomic
stem with a 26mm clamp, despite the bar being 25.4. This bar replaces a
Modolo X-Tenos that has been on the bike for 20 years.

I have been riding around without bar tape, carrying hex wrenches in the
pocket for tweaking bar angle and lever position. I have not raised or
lowered the quill stem. Initial reaction is that everything seems
higher, and it is. The bar sweeps up for the ramps, and the drop is
about 3 cm. shallower than the Modolo.

Also, the Modolo was a 40cm. width; the Nitto is 45. The bars are about
the same width at the levers, though, since the Nitto drops sweep out.
I'm liking the shallower drop and the extra width.

Placing the levers has been interesting. I put them on symmetrically,
but during tweaking I find I like one lower on the bar than the other.
My arms must be different lengths. But Michael Press said in a recent
post that if he gets the bar angle right, the levers take care of
themselves. I like that.

BC
ran-da-knee
Old June 9th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 9, 2:35*pm, bcdrums wrote:
Got a Nitto B135 Randonneur at my LBS.
BC
ran-da-knee

Ran-da-nay is what you ride in once you fit a ran-duh-nuh-
-
--
---
----

Andre Jute
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. --H.H.Munro
("Saki")(1870-1916)

"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Old June 10th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jun 9, 3:43*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:35*pm, bcdrums wrote:

Got a Nitto B135 Randonneur at my LBS.
BC
ran-da-knee

Ran-da-nay is what you ride in once you fit a ran-duh-nuh-
-
*--
* * ---
* * * * ----
* * * * * * *-----

Visit Jute on Amps athttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

breath deep breath deep breath from your tummy fill your lungs with
45cm
of dirt hydrocarbons dead insect parts dog **** insect **** pesticides
rubber particles asphalt concrete dust industrial chemicals
breath deep
there's a zen book on it. very insturctive for the newly released to
45 cm bars width's
I'll dig it out.
cattleitic convertor dust....
Old June 10th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

here's four from the Collier County Library System where the CR
resides

The Tao of natural breathing : for health, well-being, and inner
growth / Dennis Lewis ; [foreword by Mantak Chia].
San Francisco, CA : Mountain Wind Pub., c1997.

The art of breathing / Nancy Zi.
Glendale, Calif. : Vivi Co., 1994.
159 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.

The art of breathing : 6 simple lessons to improve performance,
health, and well-being / Nancy Zi.
Berkeley, Calif. : Frog ; [Emeryville, CA] : Distributed by Publishers
Group West, c2000.
240 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.

Bragg super power breathing; for super health & high energy / by Paul
C. Bragg and Patricia Bragg.
Santa Barbara, CA : Health Science, 1999.
viii, 172 p. : ill. ; 21 cm

Old June 11th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
bcdrums wrote:

[...]

Still, lever clamp position is a useful adjustment,
and remember you can rotate them inward and outward.
I guess you are finding small adjustments make big differences.
You can make noticeable changes in the levers with bar tape on.
Sounds as if you are having fun.

--
Michael Press
Old June 11th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On 6/10/10 8:31 PM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Indeed I am. I want to get the bar tape on, but I really want to fool
around with the possibilities before I lock it down. I do find the
inward/outward placement of the levers interesting; the way they bear
the arm weight varies.

Also, because of the outward flare on this bar,the levers aren't quite
perpendicular to the ground, but it doesn't seem to matter.

BC
barred
Old June 11th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

TAPE ? long distances and

http://www.grabongrips.com/foam_tubing.php

used foam ? more control at mile 75

I was 'taken aback' replacing the 10 speeds original bar with a wider
ergo bar from Nashbar WHO PAID ME $10 for it. First I was faster
longer with deeper breathing then incroyable, a pain had deveoped in
my right hand tween thumb and first finger-and the pain went away
after 2-3 miles ! had to stop and get a good look at it...now what,
right ? Then the foam....ahhhhhhhh then a Spec road enduro
seat..ahhhhhhhh
what with the natural A/C, outasight !
can play the saxophone, so breathing in all the dog **** Sherman
throws up is nooooo problem.
Old June 17th 10, 11:02 AM
mischastar mischastar is offline
Member

I definitely agree you should wait until you are perfectly happy before adding the tape. Then when you add the tape you know it is in exactly the right position and you can be happy with your decision.

Ride around a bit more and keep adjusting it and you will know when you reach the perfect position.