Replacement tire problem

Old August 8th 05, 08:09 PM
B. Halsey-Russaouen

Default Replacement tire problem

I would appreciate your assistance in locating a replacement tire size
in metric 39cm x 3.7cm to fit a Peugeot folding bike manufactured in the
1980's. This tire is not available in Canada or the U.S
Many thanks for any help.

B. Halsey-Russaouen
Montreal Canada
Old August 8th 05, 08:46 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I would appreciate your assistance in locating a replacement tire size in
metric 39cm x 3.7cm to fit a Peugeot folding bike manufactured in the
1980's. This tire is not available in Canada or the U.S
Many thanks for any help.

Are there ETRO numbers on the sidewall? They'd be something like 450-37.
That will tell you the correct tire.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old August 8th 05, 09:06 PM
Ted Bennett

I would appreciate your assistance in locating a replacement tire size
in metric 39cm x 3.7cm to fit a Peugeot folding bike manufactured in the
1980's. This tire is not available in Canada or the U.S
Many thanks for any help.

B. Halsey-Russaouen
Montreal Canada

Bonjour, et bienvenu a rec.bikes.tech.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html is an excellent resource
that will help you.

The 39 cm you mentioned is closest to the French 450 A size, but you
didn't say how you measured it. If the bead seat diameter is 390mm,
then the 450A is your tire, but it is not easy to accurately measure the
inner diameter of something as floppy as an unmounted tire. Instead use
the numeric markings molded into the tire. You will see something like
390-37.

If yours is marked with the above numbers, that would confirm the 450A
size, which is going to be difficult to find in North America. It might
be worth writing to Andy Muzi at Yellow Jersey, or Sheldon Brown, to see
if they can help you.

Bonne chance.

--
Ted Bennett
Old August 8th 05, 11:11 PM
Sheldon Brown

Ted Bennett wrote:

I would appreciate your assistance in locating a replacement tire size
in metric 39cm x 3.7cm to fit a Peugeot folding bike manufactured in the
1980's. This tire is not available in Canada or the U.S
Many thanks for any help.

B. Halsey-Russaouen
Montreal Canada

Bonjour, et bienvenu a rec.bikes.tech.

http:sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing is an excellent resource
that will help you.

Merci!

The 39 cm you mentioned is closest to the French 450 A size, but you
didn't say how you measured it. If the bead seat diameter is 390mm,
then the 450A is your tire, but it is not easy to accurately measure the
inner diameter of something as floppy as an unmounted tire. Instead use
the numeric markings molded into the tire. You will see something like
390-37.

Ouais, mais c'est un peu bizaare utiliser cm au lieu de mm pour les
tailles des pneus/jantes

Nous en avons--voir: http://harriscyclery.com/390 svp.

Nous en vendons beaucoup pour les Peugeots demontables.

Sheldon "22 Inch" Brown
| Le beau est aussi utile que l'utile --Victor Hugo |
| (The beautiful is as useful as the useful) |
Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts É-U
Télephone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://sheldonbrown.com/french/harris
les pièces "introuvables" envoyé dans le monde entier

Old August 8th 05, 11:16 PM
Sheldon Brown

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I would appreciate your assistance in locating a replacement tire size in
metric 39cm x 3.7cm to fit a Peugeot folding bike manufactured in the
1980's. This tire is not available in Canada or the U.S
Many thanks for any help.

Are there ETRO numbers on the sidewall? They'd be something like 450-37.
That will tell you the correct tire.

Those aren't E.T.R.T.O. numbers. 450A is the designation in the French
system. The ISO/E.T.R.T.O. number for this size is **-390

It's a fairly popular item with us. http://harriscyclery.com/390

Sheldon "European Tire And Rim Technical Organization" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| The nice thing about standards is that |
| there are so many of them to choose from. |
| --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 9th 05, 09:32 AM
B. Halsey-Russaouen

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I would appreciate your assistance in locating a replacement tire size in
metric 39cm x 3.7cm to fit a Peugeot folding bike manufactured in the
1980's. This tire is not available in Canada or the U.S
Many thanks for any help.

Are there ETRO numbers on the sidewall? They'd be something like 450-37.
That will tell you the correct tire.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Hello Mike,

Yes, the markings show 550A 37 - 490.

Regards,

B. H-R
Old August 9th 05, 09:34 AM
B. Halsey-Russaouen

Sheldon Brown wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

Hello again,

I didn't see your second message. Many thanks for the info.

B. H-R
Old August 9th 05, 09:36 AM
B. Halsey-Russaouen

Ted Bennett wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, Ted. And your info was A1. Sheldon Brown has the tire in
stock.

Merci.

B. H-R
Old August 9th 05, 09:38 AM

[...]