Panniers and Rack

Old March 22nd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Default Panniers and Rack

Thanks, Guy. I guess what I SHOULD have asked was "Has anybody had good or
bad experiences with any of the hard shell trunks on the market?"

I realize that just about anything anyone can think of is already available
on the Internet ad nauseum. However, there's nothing like a first-hand tip
from a current user. For example, I guess my first questions to a person
who has used the trunk you linked me to would be "What has the manufacturer
done to make sure the whole trunk can't be removed from the luggage rack
with a screwdriver?" and "Does the height of the trunk interfere with
mounting or dismounting the bike?"

That said, does anybody have any input?

Old March 22nd 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:32:46 -0400, "Papa Tom"
wrote:

I realize that just about anything anyone can think of is already available
on the Internet ad nauseum. However, there's nothing like a first-hand tip
from a current user.

I use a BIG Chrome (The Kremlin) messenger bag for commuting. G

For example, I guess my first questions to a person
who has used the trunk you linked me to would be "What has the manufacturer
done to make sure the whole trunk can't be removed from the luggage rack
with a screwdriver?" and "Does the height of the trunk interfere with
mounting or dismounting the bike?"

That said, does anybody have any input?

I do!

Hardshell cases are great on motorcycles, because motorcycles are
heavy. Somebody who really wanted into a bicycle rack trunk could
either:

1.) Steal the whole bike .

-- or --

2.) Cut it right off of the soft aluminum rack. How would I do that?
Cable cutters would go through the rack rails much faster than they
would cut a lock. If I saw you parking daily and had time to plan, a
cordless saw or drills, as made by DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee,
etc... and available at pawn shops everywhere, cheap! Would have me
in your hardshell trunk in seconds.

After all, if it looks secure, there's something inside worth
stealing!

The best anti-theft rack trunks come with shoulder straps, or you
bring the bike inside.

Panniers and Rack Guy Anderson, Sr. General 13 October 27th 08 10:16 PM
Sturdy rack and panniers for off-road [email protected] Techniques 1 November 18th 07 02:55 PM
Rack Pack and Panniers charlie UK 5 June 17th 06 09:44 AM
Rack and panniers. Tracker 1972 UK 21 November 14th 03 01:51 AM
Rack and panniers. Tracker 1972 UK 3 October 21st 03 10:47 PM