Helmet question

Old April 7th 05, 12:50 PM
Derk

Default Helmet question

Hi,

I have had a Giro helios helmet for 5 years. I used it nearly every day, but
it doesn't have a scratch yet.

Is it really necessary to replace a helmet after 5 years or is it just a
story to sell more helmets?

Greets, Derk
Old April 7th 05, 12:52 PM
jtaylor

"Derk" wrote in message

It's all a...

story to sell more helmets?

Old April 7th 05, 03:01 PM
Callistus Valerius

I have had a Giro helios helmet for 5 years. I used it nearly every day,

but
it doesn't have a scratch yet.

Is it really necessary to replace a helmet after 5 years or is it just a
story to sell more helmets?

Greets, Derk

in my opinion no. only if you take a hit in the head, like I did once.
I hit a curb with my head, and there was only a small dent and scratch on
the outside. But the styrofoam on the inside was compressed on two of the
ribs. As long as the styro isn't compressed it should work, and hope you
don't have to have test it out. BTW, if you do take a hit in the head, the
helmet will not prevent the resulting headache, so bring some aspirin too.

Old April 7th 05, 04:04 PM

Derk wrote:
Hi,

I have had a Giro helios helmet for 5 years. I used it nearly every

day, but
it doesn't have a scratch yet.

Is it really necessary to replace a helmet after 5 years or is it

just a
story to sell more helmets?

Greets, Derk

I've read only one report of testing an old, old helmet, using the
standard certification test. It passed easily. I'd say, if you
haven't been using the helmet as a bucket for carrying acetone, it
should be just as "good" as new.

Also, keep in mind that the trend has been to lower helmet weights and
increase ventilation holes, while still (barely) passing the
certification standard. Your old helmet may even be more protective
than the new one you'd buy. Still not any significant protection, mind
you, but there it is.

- Frank Krygowski

Old April 7th 05, 04:05 PM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:50:23 +0200, Derk
wrote:

I have had a Giro helios helmet for 5 years. I used it nearly every day, but
it doesn't have a scratch yet.

Is it really necessary to replace a helmet after 5 years or is it just a
story to sell more helmets?

If the foam seems sound, I'd keep using it. Neither of my helmets is
newer than that, and I'm not worried. As for why they recommend the 5
year replacement cycle, I suspect that this is the life expectancy of
a helmet in daily use in the environment that is likely to degrade it
most quickly. If that's the case, then they'll tell everyone to
replace their helmet at 5 years so that the worst-case helmets will
not stay in service.

When inspecting the helmet, look at the material in the slots. If
grainy sand-like particles are forming on the surface of the foam
there, and particularly if they're able to be rubbed loose easily,
then it might be time to think about replacing the helmet; that grainy
powder is a sign that the plastic is starting to degrade.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 7th 05, 06:23 PM
Derk

Werehatrack wrote:

When inspecting the helmet, look at the material in the slots. If
grainy sand-like particles are forming on the surface of the foam
there, and particularly if they're able to be rubbed loose easily,
then it might be time to think about replacing the helmet; that grainy
powder is a sign that the plastic is starting to degrade.

Mine is really like the ones you see new in a store, so I'll keep using it.
It will always be better than wearing no helmet at all. Most riders I see
here never wear a helmet.

It would be interesting to see in bicycle magazine tests, though, if old
helmets tend to fail or are still as good as new .

Thanks, Derk
Old April 7th 05, 06:31 PM
Peter

Derk wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

When inspecting the helmet, look at the material in the slots. If
grainy sand-like particles are forming on the surface of the foam
there, and particularly if they're able to be rubbed loose easily,
then it might be time to think about replacing the helmet; that grainy
powder is a sign that the plastic is starting to degrade.

Mine is really like the ones you see new in a store, so I'll keep using it.
It will always be better than wearing no helmet at all. Most riders I see
here never wear a helmet.

It would be interesting to see in bicycle magazine tests, though, if old
helmets tend to fail or are still as good as new .

There's a report he
http://www.bhsi.org/biker.htm of a test done on a ten year old
sun-yellowed Bell Biker that showed it still performed about the same as
when new. Don't know of any more recent tests.

Old April 7th 05, 07:06 PM
Jim Smith

"Callistus Valerius" writes:

I have had a Giro helios helmet for 5 years. I used it nearly every day,

but
it doesn't have a scratch yet.

Is it really necessary to replace a helmet after 5 years or is it just a
story to sell more helmets?

Greets, Derk

in my opinion no. only if you take a hit in the head, like I did once.
I hit a curb with my head, and there was only a small dent and scratch on
the outside. But the styrofoam on the inside was compressed on two of the
ribs. As long as the styro isn't compressed it should work, and hope you
don't have to have test it out. BTW, if you do take a hit in the head, the
helmet will not prevent the resulting headache, so bring some aspirin too.

Better to make that acetaminophen instead. Aspirin might make any
bleeding in your brain worse.
Old April 7th 05, 09:45 PM
Wayne Grow

Better to make that acetaminophen instead. Aspirin might make any
bleeding in your brain worse.

very true, aspirin is a blood thinner.

Old April 7th 05, 10:13 PM
Derk

Jim Smith wrote:

Better to make that acetaminophen instead. Aspirin might make any
bleeding in your brain worse.

And many people are allergic to Aspirin!

Greets, Derk