will it fit?

Old September 19th 05, 05:00 PM
Hell and High Water

Default will it fit?

I'd like to get a new crank, simply for aesthetic reasons.

My current crank/chainrings are aluminum, and they look kind of old
fashioned....

I know this is really stupid, but it's an old but decent bike. I've
updated several of the pieces, and not really spent that much money.
The bike looks great and rides VERY nicely.

I'm looking at a Nashbar crankset:

http://tinyurl.com/aqt2j

$29!!

insert Nashbar joke here

Anyway, I've got two rings in the front, and seven cogs in the rear. I
have to assume this one won't work/fit, as it's specified as 8-9s
compatible.

Do they even MAKE dark colored cranksets for seven cogs anymore??

Again, I understand that the current crankset is working.

I understand that this is stupid to replace functional parts.

I understand that, so thanks in advance for pointing this out to me....

Just wondering if this set will fit, or if anyone has any
recommendations.

THANKS!

-Bob
Old September 19th 05, 05:14 PM
Bill Sornson

Hell and High Water wrote:
I'd like to get a new crank, simply for aesthetic reasons.

My current crank/chainrings are aluminum, and they look kind of old
fashioned....

I know this is really stupid, but it's an old but decent bike. I've
updated several of the pieces, and not really spent that much money.
The bike looks great and rides VERY nicely.

I'm looking at a Nashbar crankset:

http://tinyurl.com/aqt2j

$29!!

insert Nashbar joke here

Anyway, I've got two rings in the front, and seven cogs in the rear.
I have to assume this one won't work/fit, as it's specified as 8-9s
compatible.

The crankset doesn't care how many cogs there are back there. HOWEVER, your
current bottom bracket is almost certainly a "square taper" design, so
you'll also need to buy an ISIS BB to accommodate that particular
crankset -- OR just find something similar to it with a square taper.

(Nashbar has this:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename= -
- but the rings aren't "dark" like you describe wanting.)

Should be fairly easy to find an inexpensive square taper road crank. Look
around.

Bill S.

Old September 19th 05, 09:45 PM
Hell and High Water

In article ,
mspam says...

Should be fairly easy to find an inexpensive square taper road crank. Look
around.

Bill S.

Thanks so much!

-Bob

Old September 20th 05, 10:02 PM
Michael Press

In article
,
Hell and High Water wrote:

[...]

No, do not do it. Now a crank, later those great hubs
you've been eyeing, ...; its a slippery slope.

The solution is to buy a custom frame and build it up.
Then you will not be tempted to upgrade your bike.

--
Michael Press
Old September 20th 05, 11:17 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:00:53 -0500, Hell and High Water wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/aqt2j

$29!!

Anyway, I've got two rings in the front, and seven cogs in the rear. I
have to assume this one won't work/fit, as it's specified as 8-9s
compatible.

Mostly, it won't fit because your bottom bracket will certainly be a
square taper, while this one fits a splined bottom bracket.

Do they even MAKE dark colored cranksets for seven cogs anymore??

Certainly, if not for road bikes, then definitely for mountain bikes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 21st 05, 01:40 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:14:14 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:

The crankset doesn't care how many cogs there are back there. HOWEVER, your
current bottom bracket is almost certainly a "square taper" design, so
you'll also need to buy an ISIS BB to accommodate that particular
crankset -- OR just find something similar to it with a square taper.

(Nashbar has this:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename= -
- but the rings aren't "dark" like you describe wanting.)

Should be fairly easy to find an inexpensive square taper road crank. Look
around.

Well, there is always a concern about the bottom bracket. There are a lot
of different designs for bottom brackets and cranks, and you might have to
have a bit of luck to get a crank that takes even the same width as what
you have. Moral is that you would have to factor in the cost of the
bottom bracket as well. Or find something else to replace.

No crankset is going to make you faster. One with lower gears might make
you more comfortable, but you don't seem to be considering that.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ