40 Years, 40 Miles...

Old October 29th 05, 03:28 AM
BH

Default 40 Years, 40 Miles...

Today is my 40th birthday, so I rode 40 miles. (Actually, 40.7 by my GPS)

I must confess though that it was on a road bike on the pavement. I just
managed to get my self out of shape for mountain biking, and it's a big
struggle to get back there now that I'm an old fart. Next year, I'll do 41
miles on trails at altitude. Maybe I'll skip the altitude part.

Happy Trails

Old October 29th 05, 01:28 PM
Dave E

"BH" wrote in message news:57B8f.3775$UF4.28@fed1read02...
Today is my 40th birthday, so I rode 40 miles. (Actually, 40.7 by my GPS)

I must confess though that it was on a road bike on the pavement. I just
managed to get my self out of shape for mountain biking, and it's a big
struggle to get back there now that I'm an old fart. Next year, I'll do 41
miles on trails at altitude. Maybe I'll skip the altitude part.

Hey - go easy on the 'old fart' references. I'm 37 and miles from being an
'old fart'. Don't let the bald bit, the false teeth and the small gut
(where once sat proudly a wonderful 8-pack) fool you - I'm a beast!

Today I got back on the mountain bike for the first time in 3 years. Lactic
acid is again my enemy and at times thoughts turned to that big nasty
motorbike sitting in the garage - the whole reason I dropped 7 slots down to
the one-pack.

However, it was great to have done 3 hard hours of technical stuff, despite
the pain and I've vowed never to go backwards in shape again. Onwards to
strive for the right to once more shave my legs as I used to when 300+ kms
of riding per week was the norm.

So your 40.7 miles is a great start and I congratulate you. Keep it up and
in 12 months when I'm a step closer to old fartiness, we can compare notes
about the thousands of kilometers of smiles we've pedalled ourselves
through!

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)
PS. Happy Birthday!

Old October 29th 05, 02:02 PM
Marz

Happy birthday and congrats on a great ride.

Now, was that on the flat or 'over the hill' and back?

Old October 29th 05, 03:31 PM
Mark Hickey

"BH" wrote:

Today is my 40th birthday, so I rode 40 miles. (Actually, 40.7 by my GPS)

I must confess though that it was on a road bike on the pavement. I just
managed to get my self out of shape for mountain biking, and it's a big
struggle to get back there now that I'm an old fart. Next year, I'll do 41
miles on trails at altitude. Maybe I'll skip the altitude part.

Just think of what kind of shape you'll be in when you have to ride
100 miles on your birthday!

And not to worry - I've got almost a decade on you and I'm still able
to make the pedals go around.

Mark "even older fart" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old October 29th 05, 04:46 PM
JD

Marz wrote:
Happy birthday and congrats on a great ride.

Now, was that on the flat or 'over the hill' and back?

Ask his GPS. I'm sure it's accurate to the nearest 3' since SA was
taken out.

JD

Old October 29th 05, 04:51 PM
Geoff Pearson

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
"BH" wrote:

Today is my 40th birthday, so I rode 40 miles. (Actually, 40.7 by my GPS)

I must confess though that it was on a road bike on the pavement. I just
managed to get my self out of shape for mountain biking, and it's a big
struggle to get back there now that I'm an old fart. Next year, I'll do 41
miles on trails at altitude. Maybe I'll skip the altitude part.

Just think of what kind of shape you'll be in when you have to ride
100 miles on your birthday!

And not to worry - I've got almost a decade on you and I'm still able
to make the pedals go around.

Mark "even older fart" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

I'm 56 and didn't start riding until I was 50 (well I gave up when I was
14). Age is not relevant.

Old October 29th 05, 05:41 PM
Barry Hartigan

It was almost totally flat. Just a fast cardio ride.

The problem with moutain biking is that it requires endurance, skill, and
strength. I used to have a job where myself and a couple of other guys would
do about an 8 mile loop at lunch on local trails, then maybe drive somewhere
once or twice a month. Man was I in shape.

It's hard to maintain mountain biking fitness without a daily ride.

BH

oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 05:50 PM
Barry Hartigan

Man, I wish I lived in a metric system country (which would be every other
country). Then I could have rode 40 km instead of 40 miles.

I have vowed to stay out of backwards shape too, but I'll forego the leg
shaving bit.

Three years no riding? I went about two years, my bike was stolen and then I
went on a year's vacation to Mesopotamia and didn't get a new bike till
after I had been back for a bit. It must have been tough to get back on.
That's why I've gone to doing some distance road biking. It builds up a bit,
and takes the edge of the lactic acid on the trails.

40 is just really a psychological milestone. Mind over matter. If you don't
mind, it doesn't matter.

BH

Old October 29th 05, 07:05 PM
GeeDubb

"Barry Hartigan"

It's hard to maintain mountain biking fitness without a daily ride.

rode this morning with my 60 year old riding buddy, my 50 year old (former
state champ), me at 45 and the whipper snapper at 43. All staying in shape
with weekend rides.

You just have to go out and do it.

Gary

Old October 29th 05, 10:52 PM
Dave E

"Barry Hartigan" wrote in message
Man, I wish I lived in a metric system country (which would be every other
country). Then I could have rode 40 km instead of 40 miles.

Bless Australia. However it's not all good. We have to report our golf
drives in meters. :-)

I have vowed to stay out of backwards shape too, but I'll forego the leg
shaving bit.

Isn't that the *real* reason we all cycle? :-)

Three years no riding? I went about two years, my bike was stolen and then
I went on a year's vacation to Mesopotamia and didn't get a new bike till
after I had been back for a bit. It must have been tough to get back on.
That's why I've gone to doing some distance road biking. It builds up a
bit, and takes the edge of the lactic acid on the trails.

Well, it's the morning of the day after and it's the top half of the body
that requires replacement. Under those bright red strips on the arms and
legs (major sunburn) the legs are doing fine but the upper body needs some
serious tlc, massage etc. I had forgotten how much of a workout you get in
technical riding. So yes, it was tough to be back into it yesterday, but I
suspect today will be a bit tougher - hobbling around like a real old fart!

40 is just really a psychological milestone. Mind over matter. If you
don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Yes - true! Like you I'm sure, I don't at all mind the pain. Hopefully a
bit of pain signalls a forward step in condition, and hopefully a bit less
pain next time (very soon!!).

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)