discs vs V brakes

Old October 14th 06, 04:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ODB

Default discs vs V brakes

Hi all,

Im looking at a couple of second hand bikes.

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a few bux
more but is XT V brake.

I remember the Shimano XT/XTR stuff was always top notch, just wondering how
an XT V brake would compare against the Hayes disc?

And what about discs vs rotors generally?

Many thanks..

Old October 14th 06, 12:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Absent Husband

ODB wrote:
Hi all,

Im looking at a couple of second hand bikes.

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a few bux
more but is XT V brake.

I remember the Shimano XT/XTR stuff was always top notch, just wondering how
an XT V brake would compare against the Hayes disc?

And what about discs vs rotors generally?

Many thanks..

I'm pretty sure Lotte has a definite opinion on this... *giggles*

Good luck,
Abby

Old October 14th 06, 12:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

Absent Husband wrote:
ODB wrote:
Hi all,

Im looking at a couple of second hand bikes.

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a few bux
more but is XT V brake.

I remember the Shimano XT/XTR stuff was always top notch, just wondering how
an XT V brake would compare against the Hayes disc?

And what about discs vs rotors generally?

Many thanks..

I'm pretty sure Lotte has a definite opinion on this... *giggles*

Good luck,
Abby

Ooo, brave man Abby

I think she secretly liked my new MTB with hydraulic discs, but she'd never
admit it of course!

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird
Old October 14th 06, 02:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"ODB" wrote

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a few bux
more but is XT V brake.

I remember the Shimano XT/XTR stuff was always top notch, just wondering
how an XT V brake would compare against the Hayes disc?

Both are excellent quality IMHO, and the weight issue is really not major.
If it ever rains again here in Melbourne you'll see the performance
advantages of Hayes hydros come to the fore.

Personally since going to hydro discs about 5 years ago I've loved every
minute of it. And maintenance issues have been very low key. People
overstate this, I've only gone through one set of pads on the rear, front
are still OK but low, and only needed one service on the rear brake with
bleeding. The V-brakes on my other bike have needed much more work in the
same time period.

And what about discs vs rotors generally?

Not sure what you mean by this one? Discs *are* rotors by definition.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old October 14th 06, 11:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

ODB wrote:
Sorry, I meant V brakes vs rotors generally?
--
Cheers
Peter

Well I have three bikes, one with old fashioned brakes, one with cable disc
brakes, and one with hydraulic disc brakes. All of them work well for me, but:
The old fashioned ones don't work in the wet
The cable disc brake has let me down once on a long descent, the disc got too
hot, was glowing red & no longer had any braking power at all.
The hydraulic braked bike is new (three weeks) but hasn't failed me yet. I
really like them, whatever others say
But in the dry, in not extreme conditions, I'm happy to use any of them.

Old October 14th 06, 11:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

ODB wrote:
Sorry, I meant V brakes vs rotors generally?

Well set up V-brakes will give you as much stopping power as disc brakes.
Disc brakes generally will out perform Vs in wet conditions.

XT Vs are excellent brakes but tend to squeal a lot if not frequently
adjusted to toe the pads in.

Other advantages of discs
- low maintenance
- less force required to brake
- still work when the wheel is not in an optimal shape

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a few bux
more but is XT V brake.

Unless the bikes are identical I wouldn't be choosing based on the
brakes - frame & forks are much more expensive to replace.

Parbs
Old October 16th 06, 01:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Parbs wrote:

ODB wrote:
Sorry, I meant V brakes vs rotors generally?

Well set up V-brakes will give you as much stopping power as disc brakes.
Disc brakes generally will out perform Vs in wet conditions.

Agreed!

XT Vs are excellent brakes but tend to squeal a lot if not frequently
adjusted to toe the pads in.

Frequently adjusted? Man, I adjust my brake pads ONCE, when
I put new ones on. Never had a squeal.

Other advantages of discs
- low maintenance

V-brakes are not exactly high maintenance

- less force required to brake

'Tis a good thing.

- still work when the wheel is not in an optimal shape

Scary thought though is damage to disc system when riding
requiring attention. V-brakes are easy to fix on the trail
unless you bust a cable, but then I suppose you can steal a
cable from elsewhere on your bike. Whereas I don't like the
idea of carrying a bleed kit everywhere.

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a few bux
more but is XT V brake.

Unless the bikes are identical I wouldn't be choosing based on the
brakes - frame & forks are much more expensive to replace.

Excellent advice!

Tam
Old October 16th 06, 01:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Duracell Bunny wrote:
Well I have three bikes, one with old fashioned brakes, one with cable disc
brakes, and one with hydraulic disc brakes. All of them work well for me, but:
The old fashioned ones don't work in the wet
The cable disc brake has let me down once on a long descent, the disc got too
hot, was glowing red & no longer had any braking power at all.
The hydraulic braked bike is new (three weeks) but hasn't failed me yet. I
really like them, whatever others say
But in the dry, in not extreme conditions, I'm happy to use any of them.

I'm pretty sure your hydraulics would've overheated the disc
anyway, given that it was overheating because of friction
between the pads and the rotor. Main difference is the
piston size/pressures for "force amplification" vs direct
cable tension. You would've been getting the burnout factor
without having to squeeze the levers so hard. You could've
just shifted your weight back a bit (out of the saddle, bum
back) and used both brakes

Tam
Old October 16th 06, 02:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

Parbs Wrote:
ODB wrote:
Sorry, I meant V brakes vs rotors generally?

Well set up V-brakes will give you as much stopping power as disc
brakes.
Disc brakes generally will out perform Vs in wet conditions.

XT Vs are excellent brakes but tend to squeal a lot if not frequently
adjusted to toe the pads in.

Other advantages of discs
- low maintenance
- less force required to brake
- still work when the wheel is not in an optimal shape

One is a bit cheaper with Disc Hayes HFX-9 ; the other bike is a

few bux
more but is XT V brake.

Unless the bikes are identical I wouldn't be choosing based on the
brakes - frame & forks are much more expensive to replace.

Parbs

I recently (about 3-4 mths ago) replaced my shimano v brakes (deore)
with avid arch rival v brakes. Apparently the archrivals are as good as
a disc but I wouldn't know, not having used disc brakes. But they are
excellent, do the job so well I only have to think about touching the
lever.

So I agree with Parbs - brakes are replaceable and cheaply so (I got
the archrivals on sale, dirt cheap), frames and forks are more
expensive. Also, which bike suits you better, feels better to ride?????

--
warrwych