alternative to carradice

Old April 22nd 08, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
VisionSet

Default alternative to carradice

Looking at large saddlebags like this:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddl...sqr-tour.shtml
and this:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebag...addlebag.shtml

But a bit £££

any other makes that do this kind of thing?
Also barbags.

Basically want to do the C2C and similar ultra light on my fast bike. B&B
obvisously!

Cheers,
Mike

Old April 23rd 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

visionset wrote:
Looking at large saddlebags like this:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddl...sqr-tour.shtml
and this:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebag...addlebag.shtml

But a bit £££

any other makes that do this kind of thing?
Also barbags.

Don't know about other saddlebags, but for bar bags it's a case of pick
a manufacturer and then take your pick. Altura are usually a little
cheaper than Carradice but still nice stuff.

But overall with luggage you do get what you pay for. A Nelson Longflap
should see you going for decades.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 23rd 08, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bookieb

On Apr 22, 10:48 pm, "visionset" wrote:
Looking at large saddlebags like this:http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddl...sqr-tour.shtml
and this:http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebag...addlebag.shtml

But a bit £££

any other makes that do this kind of thing?
Also barbags.

Basically want to do the C2C and similar ultra light on my fast bike. B&B
obvisously!

Cheers,
Mike

Ortlieb - large saddlebag is not as big as the larger Carradice
models, but the barbags are top quality, and very waterproof.

http://www.ortlieb.de/

Mightn't be much cheaper though, esp. with Sterling weak relative to
the Euro at the moment.

hth,

bookieb
Old April 23rd 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

bookieb wrote:

Ortlieb - large saddlebag is not as big as the larger Carradice
models, but the barbags are top quality, and very waterproof.

http://www.ortlieb.de/

Mightn't be much cheaper though, esp. with Sterling weak relative to
the Euro at the moment.

They've always been about the most expensive you could get (Arkel
excepted), even when the Euro was weak relative to the pound. Though
still worth the money IMHO.

Pete.
Old April 25th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
VisionSet

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
visionset wrote:
Looking at large saddlebags like this:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddl...sqr-tour.shtml
and this:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebag...addlebag.shtml

But a bit £££

any other makes that do this kind of thing?
Also barbags.

Don't know about other saddlebags, but for bar bags it's a case of pick
a manufacturer and then take your pick. Altura are usually a little
cheaper than Carradice but still nice stuff.

But overall with luggage you do get what you pay for. A Nelson Longflap
should see you going for decades.

I'm thinking I can get away with much less than 20 litres, more like 5-10L.
I want to do this real light and in the dry.
I reckon just bib shorts and arm/leg warmers + a jacket & a bit of food +
few spares.
See other post.

Cheers,
Mike

Old April 28th 08, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

visionset wrote:

I'm thinking I can get away with much less than 20 litres, more like 5-10L.
I want to do this real light and in the dry.

Ortlieb Ultimate 5Plus bar bag is 7l (or your pick of alternatives)

If it's in a bar bag rather than a saddlebag you can stick a map on the
top and have immediate access to everything as you're riding,
potentially much more convenient, plus they have easier fitting and
removal (whole seconds to turn it in to a shoulder bag).

Pete.
Old April 28th 08, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Peter Clinch wrote:
visionset wrote:

I'm thinking I can get away with much less than 20 litres, more like
5-10L. I want to do this real light and in the dry.

Ortlieb Ultimate 5Plus bar bag is 7l (or your pick of alternatives)

Check the width of bar-bags before purchasing.

I know several users of drop-barred (racing/touring) bikes who are starting
to get problems finding bar-bags which are narrow enough to fit their bikes.
It seems that bag makers are assuming their customers have flat-barred
bikes.

Otherwise, a thoroughly recommended solution; I find my bar bag is the most
regularly used bit of bike luggage I own.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Carradice Nelson Rear Bag Tom Nakashima Techniques 10 June 9th 07 02:01 AM
Carradice carriers Ted UK 6 July 22nd 06 05:52 PM
Carradice Rain Gear [email protected] General 0 March 4th 06 04:33 PM
Carradice Bag Saddle Clips? Tom Nakashima Techniques 9 June 3rd 05 09:03 PM