Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

Old October 11th 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

On 2017-09-30 13:24, Robert Latest wrote:
Joerg wrote:

As I wrote earlier I do not chuck my banana peels or anything else for
that matter into the environment

What do you do with your car exausts?

They get filtered out in a catalytic converter. Well, most. At less than
1000 miles per year it isn't much though.

Why do you say it isn't much? Can you justify that statement

A Honda Accord was once tested in that respect in Southern California, I
believe near Los Angeles. This was a few years ago, not in the days when
smog ruled down there. Still, what came out of the tail pipe was cleaner
than the air that went into the engine.

That is hilarious! Thanks

My car always passes smog with flying colors, the measured values are a
fraction of what is allowed. Last year I drove 757 miles. 4000 miles on
the bikes.

Just pointing out, you are not judging yourself by any absolute, but by comparison to others. Not saying that is wrong, but am saying that it is
interesting.

Old October 11th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte? (feedback)

On 2017-09-24 10:02, Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?
Orange flavor would be great but doesn't matter much, as long as it's
not any funky or excessively sweet flavor. No artificial sweeteners.

Some feedback:

I bought "Electro Mix" from Emergen-C (Alacer Corp). About $10 for 30
pouches but those are for 1 liter each so a pouch makes two 500ml
bottles. Therefore, much cheaper than Ultima ever was.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRY5S?th=1

It is also higher in potassium which is good for a hard ride. Taste is
another matter ... blech ... totally bland, there is none. So my wife
adds in a spritz of lemon juice. Though I don't mind the no-taste
version because I just gulp it down to avoid cramps. It works.

Of course, on many rides I have another much more tasty potassium source
in addition: Beer :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 11th 17, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 4:56:50 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-09-24 10:02, Joerg wrote:
[...]

If I could only force myself to drink water and your mix. Problem is that I can usually ride 40 miles without stopping and I can't take my hands off of the bars due to the medication. The last couple of times I've ridden I have stopped and had a couple of gulps at the beginning and end of the hard climbs. That helped but I still get cramps that night in bed.
Old October 11th 17, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 6:00:30 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/28/2017 10:42 AM, wrote:

Believe me, if I didn't have an older brother to cart around to doctors and my wife didn't have grandchildren to baby sit I'd be living in Phoenix right not among people who have like minds.

See
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/traveltale...elersandfarmer

--
- Frank Krygowski

Well, that was a wise farmer.

The owner of a department store had to go on a business trip
to Dallas. His wife's Cousin Jeb was visiting in their St. Louis
home so the merchant decided it would be nice to take Jeb along
with him to Texas. Be educational. Broaden Jeb's horizons.
The two men checked in at a hotel in downtown Dallas and
occupied adjoining rooms. The merchant, a worldly man, slept
soundly and got up at seven o'clock. He opened the door to Jeb's
room and found the country cousin fully dressed, sitting by the
window. The bed had not been slept in.
"Good Lord, Jeb," said the merchant, "haven't you been to
bed?"
"Nawp. Been settin' right here, watchin'. Folks in this town
has fell behind in their haulin', and they been haulin' all night."

Old October 11th 17, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/10/2017 7:15 PM, Joerg wrote:

A Honda Accord was once tested in that respect in Southern California, I
believe near Los Angeles. This was a few years ago, not in the days when
smog ruled down there. Still, what came out of the tail pipe was cleaner
than the air that went into the engine.

I'd be very interested in a link documenting that.

I can imagine that particulates might be reduced by the air filter, but
CO, CO2 and NOx would be added, I'd think.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 11th 17, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 22:39:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/10/2017 7:15 PM, Joerg wrote:

A Honda Accord was once tested in that respect in Southern California, I
believe near Los Angeles. This was a few years ago, not in the days when
smog ruled down there. Still, what came out of the tail pipe was cleaner
than the air that went into the engine.

I'd be very interested in a link documenting that.

I can imagine that particulates might be reduced by the air filter, but
CO, CO2 and NOx would be added, I'd think.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataly...r#Construction
for "converters 101" it is apparently a far more complex subject then
often thought.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 11th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 10/10/2017 7:15 PM, Joerg wrote:

A Honda Accord was once tested in that respect in Southern California, I
believe near Los Angeles. This was a few years ago, not in the days when
smog ruled down there. Still, what came out of the tail pipe was cleaner
than the air that went into the engine.

I'd be very interested in a link documenting that.

I can imagine that particulates might be reduced by the air filter, but
CO, CO2 and NOx would be added, I'd think.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataly...r#Construction
for "converters 101" it is apparently a far more complex subject then
often thought.

Around here the hot rodders by-pass them in order to use straight pipes to let the world know they're around. I've yet to see one of them ticketed.
Old October 11th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-24 10:02, Joerg wrote:
[...]

I don't do that either. I stop at a reasonably nice spot, sit down
somewhere, have a home-made power bar and drink the electrolyte.

... The last couple of times
I've ridden I have stopped and had a couple of gulps at the beginning
and end of the hard climbs. That helped but I still get cramps that
night in bed.

The number of times I get leg cramps has dropped from 30-40/year to
3-4/year since I started drinking electrolyte mixes with potassium in
them. Except the new one now contains a lot more potassium. Also, the
few cramps I still get at night are much less painful than the ones from
years ago where I'd almost be screaming. They come on slower. Back in my
no-electrolyte riding days I occasionally felt a cramp coming up during
rides, mostly on the MTB where muscle activity jumps between zero and
full bore. That has completely disappeared.

People with blood pressure issues or on medication should be careful
though, too much potassium may not be good for them and they should talk
to their cardiologist first.

Even my wife who does not bicycle drinks a daily electrolyte mix and it
has resulted in much less cramps.

Old October 11th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-10 19:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2017 7:15 PM, Joerg wrote:

A Honda Accord was once tested in that respect in Southern California,
I believe near Los Angeles. This was a few years ago, not in the days
when smog ruled down there. Still, what came out of the tail pipe was
cleaner than the air that went into the engine.

I'd be very interested in a link documenting that.

It's gone long ago, it was in a newspaper I read on a business trip. A
reputable one. Even if there was a link it would probably be behind a
pay wall.

I can imagine that particulates might be reduced by the air filter, but
CO, CO2 and NOx would be added, I'd think.

CO2 is not harmful. CO and NOX are but those are miniscule with a well
designed car these days. They measured the whole enchilada and added up
the health risks of it all. AFAIR the largest benefit the car engine
provided was burning off fine soot particles that would otherwise lodge
deeply in the lungs and cause longterm damage. Of course, this car did
not have a Diesel engine ...

Old October 11th 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-10 19:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2017 7:15 PM, Joerg wrote:

A Honda Accord was once tested in that respect in Southern California,
I believe near Los Angeles. This was a few years ago, not in the days
when smog ruled down there. Still, what came out of the tail pipe was
cleaner than the air that went into the engine.

I'd be very interested in a link documenting that.

It's gone long ago, it was in a newspaper I read on a business trip. A
reputable one. Even if there was a link it would probably be behind a
pay wall.

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

alternative to carradice visionset UK 6 April 28th 08 09:01 AM
electrolyte replacement OzCableguy Australia 33 March 21st 07 10:34 PM
Elete Electrolyte Water (16oz w/ two 24.6ml bottles) - $27.99 Emilio Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 09:25 PM
Would this be a good alternative to a jersey Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 16 June 17th 05 03:49 PM
peugeot 653 ultima frame? [email protected] Techniques 2 December 13th 04 03:22 PM