Technical question

Old August 20th 16, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Technical question

I wash my bicycles and as part of the washing procedure I wash the
wheels. I have several partially used cans of spray "tire cleaner"
from back in the days when I washed my own cars. As I no longer own a
car and my wife takes her car to a "car grooming" place I was
wondering.

Can I use this left over tire cleaner to clean bicycle tires and rims?
Will it actually clean crud off the rims? Will my tires disintegrate
after using it?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 20th 16, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/19/2016 8:44 PM, John B. wrote:

I wash my bicycles and as part of the washing procedure I wash the
wheels. I have several partially used cans of spray "tire cleaner"
from back in the days when I washed my own cars. As I no longer own a
car and my wife takes her car to a "car grooming" place I was
wondering.

Can I use this left over tire cleaner to clean bicycle tires and rims?
Will it actually clean crud off the rims? Will my tires disintegrate
after using it?

That's unclear. Check the content label if there is one.

Highly volatile compounds might affect a thin latex-coated
bicycle tire differently from a heavy butyl car tire. Also
silicone (makes car tires shiny) wouldn't be great on rim
brake surfaces.

But generally speaking it's probably OK.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 20th 16, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

todays word is RHEOLOGY

https://www.google.com/#q=tire+clean...ve+composition

asking the question what is a tire cleanercomposed of in uh SE Asia ?

WTF ? too upscale for soap n brush ? yawl have Megware's maroon bottle car wash ?

oxalic acid...gotta chem store ? .....buy a growler full n add to Palmolive
Old August 21st 16, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:08:15 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/19/2016 8:44 PM, John B. wrote:

I wash my bicycles and as part of the washing procedure I wash the
wheels. I have several partially used cans of spray "tire cleaner"
from back in the days when I washed my own cars. As I no longer own a
car and my wife takes her car to a "car grooming" place I was
wondering.

Can I use this left over tire cleaner to clean bicycle tires and rims?
Will it actually clean crud off the rims? Will my tires disintegrate
after using it?

That's unclear. Check the content label if there is one.

Highly volatile compounds might affect a thin latex-coated
bicycle tire differently from a heavy butyl car tire. Also
silicone (makes car tires shiny) wouldn't be great on rim
brake surfaces.

But generally speaking it's probably OK.

This was my general thought trend. But I was hoping I'd find someone
(we've got all kinds here :-) that had actually tried it and I'd get a
response like "DON'T DO IT! I tried it and my brand new $100 sew ups
exploded". Or maybe, "I've been doing it since the solid tire days and
it works great!"
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 21st 16, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

your general pop does not support expensive chemicals in tire cleaners nor are you smelling such. Is there a refinery nearby ?

gotta used tire ? howbout a poly jug or a grocery bag...hmmmm yawl use plastic gorcery bags ?? howbout a condom..roll condom over prick then spray with tire cleaner ?

acetone in tire cleaner sounds more like astern yurp