casette shifting, again

Old December 18th 18, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default casette shifting, again

On 12/17/2018 8:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 09:11:06 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

I'm not a ballistition (is that a word?)

Nope. That's someone who operates a ballista:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ballista&tbm=isch
Perhaps ballisticist?

but from what little I've
read none of the multitude of formulas actually provides accurate
results in all cases. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics
for probably more then you want to know :-)

I agree, if what I was looking for is a mathemagical way to calculate
the point of impact. That's quite difficult to do, considering the
accumulated tolerances of all the numerous factors involved (powder
load, temperature, humidity, altitude, wind, bullet weight, bullet
type, barrel friction, etc). Even an over-simplified tolerance
estimate of just the target width over the range is rather small. For
example, a 1ft frying pan at 300 yards is:
1ft / 900ft = 0.1% accuracy
Throw in all the other factors, and the % accuracy becomes much
smaller.

However, I'm not looking for the point of impact. I'm looking for the
muzzle velocity (given the terminal velocity at some known range). I
would guess(tm) that this could be calculated within to a reasonable
accuracy, such as +/-10%, without much difficulty.

There are myriad resources on this complex topic. Some
useful or at least interesting numbers he
http://wredlich.com/ny/2013/01/proje...topping-power/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 18th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 18/12/18 7:21 pm, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 16:14:27 +1100, James
wrote:

My .222 Remington has a stainless barrel that was re-bored from .17, and
the action is bedded in fibreglass and the barrel floated. A Remington
Model 700.

The Remington 700 was probably one of the best actions ever made. But
re-bored? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just rebarrel?

I bought the rifle from a friend. He wore out the original barrel, then
had the stainless .17 barrel fitted, wore that out and had it re-bored
to .222 before I bought it. You would have to ask him for the reasoning.

--
JS
Old December 19th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

My .222 Remington has a stainless barrel that was re-bored from .17, and
the action is bedded in fibreglass and the barrel floated. A Remington
Model 700.

The Remington 700 was probably one of the best actions ever made. But
re-bored? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just rebarrel?

I bought the rifle from a friend. He wore out the original barrel, then
had the stainless .17 barrel fitted, wore that out and had it re-bored
to .222 before I bought it. You would have to ask him for the reasoning.

My thought that it might be cheaper is probably because I re-barreled
many actions but had no facilities to re-bore and rifle an old barrel
:-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 18, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

A complex subject as target damage (to coin a term) depends on several
factors. For example, at short range a M-16 (.22 cal) M.V. in the
3,000 f/s range creates a substantially less significant wound than a
..58 cal rifled musket with its ~1,000 f/s M.V.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/17/2018 6:16 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 15:41:14 -0800, "Mark J."
wrote:

On 12/15/2018 9:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:39:19 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 10:43:29 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:20:42 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:59:24 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/15/2018 3:04 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, you should
spend the winter reading a physics book or
two. Or three. Skip the parts on electricity,
atomic physics, etc. Concentrate on forces,
motion, work, energy etc. - the parts that
apply to bicycles. [...]

Blah blah blah, you have told me this at least
a dozen times by now. Probably because it is
easier to be didactic/demeaning than to
actually answer the questions.

more.

I left school without having slept through even one physics
class. My reference work here is a 1955 high school textbook
for $1 (9 Kr). I don't know all of even that, but I
understand the world well enough to know that this headline
last week:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...soon-2022.html

was completely ridiculous. The chamber pressures are in the
same range, but not power, not even within a magnitude*!
Power is work over time. Without some grasp of the actual
world, you would not have laughed aloud when reading the
headline, etc.

*A typical 120mm tank round is 7.5 kilos of depleted uranium
moving at 1700 m/s. The new 6.8 rifle typically moves 7.5
grams at 850 m/s. That's why you need basic physics.

BTW, here's an interesting case that crossed my desk: https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...killed-in-tank https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...explosion.html Interesting object lesson for re-loaders. I'm representing a party on a collateral insurance issue. I've represented a couple big gun makers in over-pressure cases. Reloads. Too much powder or the wrong powder can blow-up guns large and small.

-- Jay Beattie.

One of the things I notices in the reference was that the gun had been
"de-militarized" and that "was restored by Preston to working order".
The term "de-militarized", at least as used by the U.S.A.F., means
that the weapon is modified to a point that it cannot be fired, and
cannot be repaired. In small arms usually by cutting the receiver and
barrel into at least two parts, usually with a cutting torch.

cheers,

John B.

I read the Preston put in 8oz. more powder than was the recommended load and was told that if he fired that cartridge it'd blow up the gun. Preston was also persuaded to take out more insurance due to that overloaded cartridge.

Yes, I read that part too. I used to hand load for varmint rifles and
of course we were always trying for that little extra speed, but we
were also careful to inspect cartridge cases for signs of over
pressure. I simply can't imagine anyone just shoveling in 8 ounces of
extra powder. Particularly after someone "in the business" told not
to.

That extra 8 ounces blew my mind also.

When I was maybe 30, I was helping my dad, a long-time pistol round
reloader, mostly out of [my] curiosity. There was another seasoned
reloader there also. I measured one shell's worth of powder and was
surprised how excited they both got, exhorting me to avoid compressing
or tamping down the powder ?while scooping? (details and wording are
foggy years later). I was warned that any hint of ?compression? in the
powder could result in a overload that could destroy a pistol.

Who'd think you'd need to be careful working with explosives?

Mark J.

True. Gun powders are manufactured as grains and any packing or
tamping down would allow more grains in the same space (measure). More
explosive in the same place equals higher pressures. People that are
a mechanical measure.

You know, now that you mention it, I /know/ Dad used a powder scale to
weigh his charges - maybe the concern was that he weighed once to
determine the needed volume, then used volume after that. But memory is
really foggy here; maybe we were weighing each charge.

My impression at the time (which could well have been completely wrong)
was that they were concerned about packing/compressing even the correct
weight of powder, as if the compression was a separate concern above and
beyond getting the correct weight. It was clear at the time that I
wasn't understanding what the issues were (they were overseeing me like
hawks, so I wasn't too worried about a serious error slipping by.)

Dad did a lot of crazy things, but he was very serious about gun safety,
in all its forms.

Mark J.
Old December 19th 18, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:37:12 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 11:04:43 AM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:

If I owned a major corporation with a billing system consisting of a
half-
million lines of COBOL and needed to add an "e-mail address" field to
my printed invoices, you can bet your ass I'd be looking for a retired
COBOL programmer instead of rewriting the system from scratch in the
language du jour.

I don't disagree with your choice. I wrote in most languages up to
Python and C++. But companies don't want to fix things - they want all
knew "maintainable" code. It's pretty ridiculous.

Err, isn't that sentence an oxymoron; it only needs to be "maintainable"
if they intent to fix it.

Old December 19th 18, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Generally smokeless powder loads are measured by weight, especially
when they approach maximum loads. Black powder on the other hand can
be measured, and usually is, by volume.

Having said that it was fairly common especially when loading lower
powered cartridges in volume to use a mechanical powder measure. The
progressive turret pistol cartridge loading machines work that way.

compresses the powder results in higher then normal pressures when
fired.

As for firearm safety... shooting yourself in the foot is, they say,
embarrassing and shooting someone else is likely to be a crime :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

John - it wasn't until around WW I that bullets became supersonic. For most of the time of firearms, the loads and powder wouldn't allow that. You would hear the shot before the bullet struck. You could see an animal jump before the bullet struck. And muzzle loaders or anything using round balls could not fire supersonic.

You usually do not use more powder and especially tamping it down because that is asking for a chamber explosion. You use a hotter or cooler burning powder.

A chamber explosion would usually burn your hands but the worse case is exploding the section holding the round - the cylinder in a revolver or the entire rear section of an automatic or even worse blowing the entire slide off into your face.

These sorts of dangers are why pistol makers recommend factory loaded ammunition.

I have an old .38 police special and would never think of using hand loads in it. But the .357's I had (they disappeared while I was concussed) I hand loaded maximum loads and hollowpoints so that it was a self protection gun.. I do not especially like automatic but that's the only way to get .380's and .40's which are good rounds that aren't likely to kill someone unless you hit them just right.
Old December 20th 18, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

The is utter bull****.

Between 1867 and 1900 there were at least 33 cartridges developed and
marketed that were supersonic (speed of sound = 1125 ft/sec).

There is an old saying, "Better to be silent and be thought a fool
then to open one's mouth and prove it" that apparently you never
heard. Or if you did you ignored it.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 20th 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

example:
http://gundata.org/cartridge/103/.45-70-government/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

casette shifting Emanuel Berg[_3_] Techniques 23 November 7th 18 12:09 AM
Friction shifting on a 9 speed cassette? Ease of shifting? Mounting? [email protected] Techniques 5 October 11th 07 04:02 AM
Kyserium Casette Hubs Tom Techniques 2 June 28th 05 10:59 PM
SS question - casette destruction DaveB Australia 35 April 4th 05 04:23 PM
wtb: campy 8-spd casette rsilver51 Marketplace 2 February 1st 05 11:31 PM