question about climbing

Old July 29th 18, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default question about climbing

wrote:
On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

Over 300 bucks! In my book that is pricey. I think I'll continue living
not knowing what grade I just cycled up.

The price of power meters has been dropping, and Garmin is feeling
pressure from Stages, Wahoo and others. For $300 you can now get a 500
series Garmin with heart rate, maps, GPS and endless data to peruse at
home. I don't have so much as a cyclometer on any bike right now, but I
do scavenge info from my friends who are fully instrumented. You might
like the map function and accurate data if you're a data-driven person.
You can use iPhone apps, too, but you have sketchy cell service and a
satellite uplink is just what you need. I think there is mountain lion
radar and a automatic electronic defibrillator function, too.

-- Jay Beattie.

You can do most of that with a phone app now. The only problem is the
phone isn’t really visible in sunlight so run time info like speed and
cadence isn’t great. But you can get a Wahoo head unit with lcd display
and connect it to RideWithGPS. Not sure if it does altitude or grade but
it’s a cheap option.

I have an Garmin 800 but if it ever dies I will look around for options.
Some friends have 520s but they don’t do the mapping like the 800/1000.
Though they do give you turn by turn which is what I mostly use anyway.

--
duane

If I lose mine today, I order I new one tomorrow. GPS is the best
invention for the bike (and car) after clipless pedals and brifters. Some
of my riding buddies use their phones and the Strava app to record their
rides. The elevation gain is always way off. Crap.

Lou

I wasn’t sure the Strava app even did elevation gain. I meant there are
cheaper options now like Wahoo. I’m a bit annoyed with my 800 because of
some bugs with the turn by turn and general navigation. Some seem to be
fixed in the 1000 firmware but Garmin stopped supporting firmware upgrades
for the 800.

FWIW the Edge 800 that I have isn’t great on elevation gain either. It
gets it close enough if it’s clear weather.

--
duane
Old July 29th 18, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-27 19:36, jbeattie wrote:
Gawd.
Nothing like sweaty cotton.

Doesn't bother me one bit. The major upside of cotton is that you can
jump into a lake or get soaked under a playground sprinkler.
Afterwards you have an evaporative cooler on your body that runs 1/2h
or so, for free.

To illustrate the differences in climate: Tuesday, visiting family in
another town, I was riding around town in ordinary cotton shorts that
had gotten badly splashed with water. They were still slightly moist six
hours later.

The humidity is the reason nobody around here bothers with mist coolers
on hot days. Water evaporates too slowly to have much cooling effect.

We live away from the coast and it's mostly 10-20% humidity during hot
summer days. Have to do some chores today so I jumped into the pool an
hour ago. With T-shirt and it still cools me nicely. Rinse and repeat.

We're having a beautiful dry day. Our humidity is a low 50% right now.
It's predicted to rise to over 95% this evening, as usual.

More typical daytime summer humidity is about 70% or so.

Sounds almost like Houston, except there it can be 90-100F at the same
time. That's when many people start sweating just from sitting in a chair.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 29th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

Strava does eleveation. A riding buddy uses Strava and it seems to be ok
in accuracy. Not great but ok. However, one needs a smart phone which I
don't have and don't need.

Old July 29th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

The Edge 800 has a barometric altitude measurement no? That is as good as it gets. Any other doesn't perform better in rapid changing weather conditions. The altitude measurements can be corrected based on the GPS positions with one mouse click in many analyse programs/apps with free NASA/Spaceshuttle data. The Edge 1030, which I use can do that while riding with an IQ connect app/add on. You have to have a coupled smart phone though. I was on a trip through the Alpes a couple of weeks ago and again I was surprised by the accuracy of the measured altitude every time I had a reference. We had no thunderstorms though. If Garmin brings out a new model you have to wait a half a year before all the software bugs are out; firmware update every week.. After that they never let me down. Their turn by turn navigation, although not perfect, is the benchmark.

Lou
Old July 30th 18, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

I contacted Garmin about the turn by turn issues. They suggested that
instead of just copying the TCX file to the newfiles folder on the 800 I
import it as a course in Garmin Connect. Then use that to send it to the
device. It ends up in the newfiles folder but as a binary file so I can’t
really see what they did.

I’ve tried that for the last couple weeks and it seems to be working well.
I compare it to the TBT with RideWithGPS on my phone and it’s spot on. A
bit inconvenient but if it works...

Thunderstorms are when the elevation is the least accurate. I did a race a
few years ago with 1800 m. It was raining off and on for most of the ride.
The Garmin reported 2200 meters of climbs. Setting the tag to adjust that
brought it to 1850. I prefer to believe the Garmin though. :-)

--
duane
Old July 30th 18, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

I was caught in a thunderstorm once in the mountains. According to the height measurement of my Garmin I fell of a cliff.
My preferred way to navigate on my Garmin 810 was load the route as track, make the track always visible on the map as a colored line and I keep myself on that colored line as I ride along. Same as you would do with a paper map and less disturbing as turn by turn navigation. On my 1030 they improved turn by turn navigation so I use it more often now.

Lou

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

lol
My preferred way to navigate on my Garmin 810 was load the route as track, make the track always visible on the map as a colored line and I keep myself on that colored line as I ride along. Same as you would do with a paper map and less disturbing as turn by turn navigation. On my 1030 they improved turn by turn navigation so I use it more often now.

I was switching to the map when I got closer than 100 m and there was
not TBT but that was annoying. I'm more concerned with my speed,
cadence, grade, heart rate etc. and I can't put all of that on the map
page so I use the TBT.

I saw that the newer devices can use "FIT" courses now that are supposed
to be better for TBT. At any rate, this seems better now importing the
file as Garmin recommended.

If I can just get it to stop trying to route me back to the beginning if
I'm not 1/2km out when I start I would be more or less happy with this.

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

I use the Nikki Terpstra power-meter:
http://www.velonews.com/2018/04/news...lassics_462590

“This is my power meter,” he said, holding up the results sheet. “I know that if I go 50kph, they will [not] catch me. I know if I am going 39kph, I need to speed up."

I'm going to appropriate one of my son's spare Garmins and a power-meter just to see how bad I suck.

This weekend was a fair amount of climbing -- maybe 9K feet, about 6K on Sunday over too much distance and too much heat. I was hearing Joerg in my head -- which sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Angela Merkel, something German or Austrian -- telling me to drink water, and yet for 75-80 miles (no cyclometer, but I know the route) in peak 95F, I went through two bottles and a Cliff Bar and could barely stand up when I got home.

Another climbing tip, think about the route and sun exposure. I would have needed a whole lot more water if much of my climbing had not been under fir canopy. If I were on one of those brown hills in Ca., I would have fried and died.

The low point of the trip was getting stung by a yellow-jacket on the way home for no particular reason. I was just riding along, and it stung me through my jersey -- "hey, what did I ever do to you." As I was getting stung and swatting furiously at the side of my jersey, this guy rides by, and I feel compelled to match his pace -- but not draft because that would be dopey. So I TT for 15 miles on tired legs on a flat-ish MUP, which was really stupid. And then its a f****** climb through the cemetery to get home. https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/...faabe6ef97.jpg

Tip number two, when you're climbing up the big climb, think about how much energy you will need to get home, particularly if there are hills on the way home after the big climb, like one of those saw-tooth climbs where you have to climb to descend. Tip number three -- do not empty the tank five miles from home. I know I've ridden smart when riding the last climb home I'm not creeping along.

-- Jay Beattie.

On 2018-07-27 14:29, Theodore Heise wrote:
snip

[...]

Did you forget the growler? Seriously if I start hearing Joerg in my
head in the hills I'm stopping and calling a cab. Delirium is a
dangerous thing around bobcats.

Another climbing tip, think about the route and sun exposure. I would have needed a whole lot more water if much of my climbing had not been under fir canopy. If I were on one of those brown hills in Ca., I would have fried and died.

Sometime the shade masks the heat. I did some hills a couple of weeks
ago and it was 35-36C. But it was through a park and well shaded. Not
much, maybe 500 meters. After the hills there's a 15 minute ferry ride
to get to the road back. Sitting on the ferry I thought I would pass out.

[...]

The day after the park I just mentioned there was another ride with
1800m and one 18-20% section. I blew it off and did some flats. I'll
do it in the fall when my tires aren't melting on the tarmac.

Old July 31st 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-30 08:06, wrote:
On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 12:34:18 PM UTC+2, Duane wrote:
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Maybe that's why Austrians sometimes say the Dutch should not venture
too high up into their mountains where there are cliffs 8-)

ducking for cover now

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

rec.mtn.climbing ? kolldata Techniques 2 June 7th 10 02:56 PM
Climbing Dan O Techniques 76 September 27th 08 05:41 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Question about hill climbing technique Walrus Australia 14 July 17th 04 12:37 PM