Making a College bike Inconspicuous?

Old September 10th 05, 02:29 AM
Jasper Janssen

Default Making a College bike Inconspicuous?

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:01:45 GMT, "Jim Flom "
wrote:

Let's try that again.
I never lock my good bike, or use a lock for it, and thus I never leave it
anywhere I can't keep an eye on it. If I'm in that restaurant, I make sure
I have a good line of sight.

And you'll be out of that restaurant in time to stop someone from making
off with your unlocked bike, either on it or in a car? Keep dreamin'. Not
even if you keep your eyes on it permanently, and not just look in the
direction every few minutes.

Jasper
Old September 10th 05, 08:16 PM
John Dacey

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:58:27 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using. Suggestions on
making the bike inconspicuous?

Adorn it with a baccalaureate degree in Business Admisnistration.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old September 11th 05, 02:22 PM

Hi Tom:
A good bit of it is bike selection. As you've already built up your
son's, it's too late to note that at my alma mater I just noticed that
old Raleigh Sport 3 speed, secured only by the front wheel to one of
those low wire racks, right by a dorm, is still there after about ten
years. Maybe the decayed Brooks saddle scares off the thieves.

On the other hand, as there are some pretty steep pitches between
that mesa-top campus and the nearest grocery stores, I believe a three
speed is counter-indicated.

Robert Leone

Tom Nakashima wrote:
My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using. Suggestions on
making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's thieves?
Suggestions from college students.
-tom

Old September 12th 05, 02:12 PM
Tom Nakashima

wrote:

My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using. Suggestions on
making the bike inconspicuous?

Adorn it with a baccalaureate degree in Business Admisnistration.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

Funny John,
but actually he got into Stanford Univ. (medical field) a lot of surgical
tape might do the trick.
-tom

Old September 12th 05, 02:15 PM
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Tom:
A good bit of it is bike selection. As you've already built up your
son's, it's too late to note that at my alma mater I just noticed that
old Raleigh Sport 3 speed, secured only by the front wheel to one of
those low wire racks, right by a dorm, is still there after about ten
years. Maybe the decayed Brooks saddle scares off the thieves.

On the other hand, as there are some pretty steep pitches between
that mesa-top campus and the nearest grocery stores, I believe a three
speed is counter-indicated.

Robert Leone

Good suggestion Robert,
I thought of training my son on a fixed gear, then locking the crank arm to
the rear-stay, and U-locking the bike to the bike rack.
-tom