Warning - Mikado (ProCycle, Canada) Frame Fiasco (IMO Bad design)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 13th 03, 02:56 PM
mark freedman

Default Warning - Mikado (ProCycle, Canada) Frame Fiasco (IMO Bad design)

I made the horrendous mistake of purchasing a Mikado
D'Iberville Touring bike in March 2000. Similar specs
to a Trek 520; True Temper OXII tubing, mix of Shimano
LX and 105 componentry. Seemed a better value, and I
like to support Canadian manufacturers (frame made
in Quebec).

I became concerned about the amount of flexing and creaking
as I rode. A closer examination revealed identical cracks which
begin on the top tube about 1" from the seat tube. extend across
the seat tube to the point where the seat stays are brazed to
the seat tube and, on one side, extend around the seatstay joint.

I've just had independant confirmation that the top tube and
seat tube have cracked, and the joint where the seatstay was
brazed to the seat tube has also cracked.

I weigh about 160 pounds and carry a single pannier
weighing another 10 pounds. I don't believe overloading
was a factor. The stock seatpost extends about 5" below the
top of the seat tube, and the minimum insertion mark is well
inside the seat tube. I've ridden about 20,000 kilometers.

Mikado has a sloping top tube design which leaves the top
2" of the seat tube completely unsupported (not sure if the
butted tubing means the top tube and seatstays are brazed onto
the thinner portion of the tube).

The seat stays attach just ABOVE the point where the
top tube joins the seat tube.

There's also a long slot cut into the seat tube so the
clamp can compress it around the post.

Intuitively, this design is weaker than conventional frames
where very little of the seat tube extends above the top tube
and seatstay joints. I suspect it allows flexing and the
eventual breakdown of the tubes and brazed joints
(ProCycle's "Direct Brazing System" - no lugs).

ProCycle in Quebec has not replied to two Emails.
I will escalate next week.

The dealer says I get to pay them to strip the frame
and ship it to ProCycle for examination. Three or four
weeks later, ProCycle MAY decide to ship a replacement
frame. Then I get to pay the dealer to reinstall all the
old parts. Meanwhile I've lost four weeks of prime cycling
season and my holiday plans are ruined.

Ah, the perils of patriotism :-)