65 mile ride, my problems, etc. [long, you probably don't care, etc]

Old August 17th 03, 12:06 AM
Rick Onanian

Default 65 mile ride, my problems, etc. [long, you probably don't care, etc]

Warning: Lots of details on a ride that nobody
here probably cares about. Skip to the advice
requests or the controversial opinions if you
like.

I haven't done a century yet, but I did get my
longest ride ever today. 65 miles.

The first 50 miles, I averaged 17mph. Wow! I've
never averaged that fast for _any_ length ride.

Then, I bonked, and by the end, I was down to 16.

Comments:

Brooks saddle discussion: I previously said
that I was unaware of my saddle. I became quite
aware of it today; my butt hurt, and I had a
little bit of genital numbness (just call me
"numbnuts", I guess . So much for "My plastic
saddle is perfect for me"; or maybe it was my
position, or posture, or just that my body has
yet to get used to such long rides.

"Nobody needs a 53x11": I really wanted it
today, going down long but slight to moderate
down-grades. I could have added speed while
still relaxing, instead of having to spin up
like I was in a race or not add speed.

CO2 vs. pump: I previously advocated having
both. I would like to re-affirm that. I flatted
(rim strip didn't protect tube properly) and
was very happy to not have to pump in the hot
weather. Later, I continued having problems
(so much for cheap glueless patches, I guess),
and ran out of CO2. Three people offered help,
and I continued riding toward my LBS where I
spent $72 on rim strips, tubes, a frame pump,
more CO2 cartridges, gloves, and probably
something else. Ouch!

-- [skip this long section as you please]:
BTW, my flat story:
After picking up with 3 guys, two in their 50s
helping a 26 year old train for a triathalon,
we rode for awhile and then they were done. I
was suprised how well drafting works (never
ridden road with others), and how fast I was.
Anyway, I was standing around talking to them
as they loaded their bikes onto their car, and
all of a sudden, "Pssshshhhhhh" from my tire.

I'm sure glad it didn't happen while I was
going 30mph.

I added some duct-tape where the rim strip
didn't cover, sanded the tube and added a
Nashbar glueless patch, and pumped with a
CO2 cartridge that I thought was pretty dead.
When I was sure it was dead, I unscrewed it,
and found it had enough left for 2 or 3 more
tires (it was a Big Air). Oh well. Used the
spare cartridge.

Rode past a Wal-mart without thinking to stop
for CO2, going straight to LBS much farther
down the road. Stopped to rest at the top of
a hill, tire went flat again, not suddenly,
but slowly during the time I rested. I dumped
the last of my CO2 in and it didn't do a damn
thing. Replaced tube and looked pitiful, and
no less than 3 people came to my aid. Made it
through the rest of the ride without further
flattage.
--

My Nashbar Special SPD pedal was squeaking when
I started. By the end of the ride, it developed

Now, onto the problems:

Shoulder pain -- After 50 miles, my shoulders did
start to hurt. A couple hours after the end of
the ride now, the pain is gone. Is it normal for
shoulders to hurt after a long ride, or should I
mess with my mostly-tolerable fit?

Hand pain -- When riding on hoods or in drops, a
lot of pressure ends up on the soft, fleshy part
of my hand between the thumb and finger/palm.
How can I avoid this? I bought some gel gloves
on the reccomendation of my usually correct LBS
guy, but the were worse and made my hands numb!
I usually ride cheap crochet-back leather-palm
padded half-finger gloves.

Flatter land than is around my home is very nice.
Riding near the beach results in nice human
scenery. The whole ride had nice natural and
man-made scenery.
--
Rick Onanian
Old August 17th 03, 02:07 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Brooks saddle discussion: I previously said
that I was unaware of my saddle. I became quite
aware of it today; my butt hurt, and I had a
little bit of genital numbness (just call me
"numbnuts", I guess . So much for "My plastic
saddle is perfect for me"; or maybe it was my
position, or posture, or just that my body has
yet to get used to such long rides.

I, too, rode 65 miles today on the Red Hot Chili Pepper ride in Dallas. I
found that my butt was okay for the first 45 miles, but then started to hurt
thereafter. I think we both need to stand up more and let some blood flow
through that area.

After picking up with 3 guys, two in their 50s
helping a 26 year old train for a triathalon,
we rode for awhile and then they were done. I
was suprised how well drafting works (never
ridden road with others), and how fast I was.
Anyway, I was standing around talking to them
as they loaded their bikes onto their car, and
all of a sudden, "Pssshshhhhhh" from my tire.

I picked up some glass in my rear tire that cut it in a V shape. I guess the
"Mr. Tuffy" strips helped after all. I didn't get a flat.

My Nashbar Special SPD pedal was squeaking when
I started. By the end of the ride, it developed
a click when my left foot was about paralell with
the downtube. Oh well, it only cost me $13 from
the "returned goods" section. I still like it
better than the Wellgo R4s I had on it.

I also developed a click when my right foot got to the 2 o:clock area. I'll
check my pedals. It drives you nuts, doesn't it? I stopped and brushed the
front tire with my hand and then inspected the brake pads and spokes, but
still click click click.

Now, onto the problems:

Shoulder pain -- After 50 miles, my shoulders did
start to hurt. A couple hours after the end of
the ride now, the pain is gone. Is it normal for
shoulders to hurt after a long ride, or should I
mess with my mostly-tolerable fit?

My ride had some really really bad hills. Coming down the backside of Cedar
Hill, I found my shoulders hurting. I think it was from tensing up from the
effort. Could this be your problem, too? If so, you might try shrugging your
shoulders while riding on the level areas. I have to remind myself to relax
those muscles from time to time.

Hand pain -- When riding on hoods or in drops, a
lot of pressure ends up on the soft, fleshy part
of my hand between the thumb and finger/palm.
How can I avoid this? I bought some gel gloves
on the reccomendation of my usually correct LBS
guy, but the were worse and made my hands numb!
I usually ride cheap crochet-back leather-palm
padded half-finger gloves.

I like Pearl Izumi's White Line gloves. I had some of their more expensive
Gel gloves, but it just mashed to fit the shape of the handlebar during the
first season, so I threw them out. These "White Line" gloves aren't doing
that.

Pat in TX

Old August 17th 03, 06:02 AM

Rick Onanian wrote:

: Warning: Lots of details on a ride that nobody
: here probably cares about. Skip to the advice
: requests or the controversial opinions if you
: like.

Good story.

I solved my hand pain problems with specialized body geometry gloves.
The padding on these gloves are only on on side of the palm an are quite
comfy.

The squeak on your pedals are probably from the sole of the shoes moving
against the pedal face. Spray the bottom of your shoe with Pam or Wd40.
Also spray the pedals.

Glue-less patches suck.

Numb nuts are usually caused by the saddle nose point to much in the up
position.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse'
--------------------------------

Old August 17th 03, 03:20 PM
Tom Sherman

Rick Onanian wrote:
"Nobody needs a 53x11": I really wanted it
today, going down long but slight to moderate
down-grades. I could have added speed while
still relaxing, instead of having to spin up
like I was in a race or not add speed....

I have the equivalent of a 50x11 top gear and find it adequate for most
hills, and I descend significantly faster than even the upright tandems.
Those with a naturally slow cadence may disagree.

I use patches with glue, and have found them to work well even if I only
give them 5 minutes or so to cure.

No advice on the comfort issues, since I do not have them.

Old August 17th 03, 11:33 PM
rb

Way to go with your first metric century!

I had the same pain problems you encountered.
You can reduce your back and hand pain by rotating your drop bars
higher, elevating the shifter grips and maybe the bar top. You'll
assume a slightly more upright position.
Moving the shifters a little higher up the drops will help too, but
you may have to remove and replace the bar tape.
Another easy fix is to move your saddle a little closer to the bars.

I assume you have a threadless stem, the part which clamps onto the
bar. You could look for a shorter length stem that has a more of an
angle bend that also puts you into a more upright position. Your bike
shop can help you with that.
If you have an older threaded stem, you can loosen the big nut at the
top of the steerer tube to raise it up.
End result is you won't assume the customary drastic racer's crouch as
much, but your body won't hurt so bad, either.

rick

Old August 18th 03, 01:00 AM
Stephen Harding

Rick Onanian wrote:

Brooks saddle discussion: I previously said
that I was unaware of my saddle. I became quite
aware of it today; my butt hurt, and I had a
little bit of genital numbness (just call me
"numbnuts", I guess . So much for "My plastic
saddle is perfect for me"; or maybe it was my
position, or posture, or just that my body has
yet to get used to such long rides.

Well the Brooks generally really comes into its own on longer
rides, or riding day after day (i.e. "on tour"). However,
even the legendary Brooks will hurt after a while if it isn't
properly adjusted, so don't give up on your plastic saddle
until you fiddle around with adjustment a bit. Sounds like a
slight tilt forward might help you out.

Shoulder pain -- After 50 miles, my shoulders did
start to hurt. A couple hours after the end of
the ride now, the pain is gone. Is it normal for
shoulders to hurt after a long ride, or should I
mess with my mostly-tolerable fit?

Early in the season my shoulders will often ache or be sore
after a long ride, so it may simply mean your body isn't
adjusted to that duration of riding yet.

It could also be a slightly misadjusted seat/handlebar. Get
that dialed in and shoulder pain goes away with the derriere
pain.

Don't be afraid to fiddle around with slight seat adjustments
on a long ride! It's actually a great time to get your bike
adjustment fine tuned. Stopping to make the adjustment gives
you a break. Feedback on how the adjustment is doing is fairly
rapid.

Hand pain -- When riding on hoods or in drops, a
lot of pressure ends up on the soft, fleshy part
of my hand between the thumb and finger/palm.
How can I avoid this? I bought some gel gloves
on the reccomendation of my usually correct LBS
guy, but the were worse and made my hands numb!
I usually ride cheap crochet-back leather-palm
padded half-finger gloves.

On my touring bike, where I spend the bulk of my riding time,
I have my bars triple wrapped. One layer of old inner tube
around the metal, followed by a layer of cork tape, followed
by a "finish" or top layer of cork tape.

It makes for a thicker diameter bar that is easier on the hands
IMHO. I used to use riding gloves, but I no longer do, either
because the thicker bar is friendlier to them, or perhaps simply
because I'm now used to longer riding time.

Also, move around on the bars, and in your seat. Bring your
hands right up to the bar stem so you can sit as upright in
the saddle as possible for a while. Try one hand on the hoods
and one in the drops. Try riding standing up out of the saddle
for a time, either pedaling in a higher than normal gear on
flats, or coasting a bit down hill. It can really help a lot!

SMH
Old August 18th 03, 12:51 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:32:25 GMT, Chris Neary
wrote:
Then, I bonked, and by the end, I was down to 16.

What did you eat/drink before and during the ride?

After thinking about it some more, indeed, that
was my problem.

Before the ride, I had what I always have before
a good ride: mass quantities of Rice Krispies
and whole milk.

Lunch, during the ride, was exactly the wrong
thing to have: A yummy greaseburger and some
mozzarella sticks from Iggy's Doughboys. I
didn't even have one of their signature dougboys!

I should have had Rice Krispies for lunch, too.

"Nobody needs a 53x11": I really wanted it
today, going down long but slight to moderate
down-grades. I could have added speed while
still relaxing, instead of having to spin up
like I was in a race or not add speed.

What was your typical speed on these downgrades?

Generally 25mph or so; just pedalling a very
slow cadence with moderate torque, in an attempt
to relax, enjoy the scenery, conserve energy, and
put on some miles.

I may have been doing 30 mph those times that I
wanted the 53x11 for relaxation purposes.

I also went down a long, steep, winding hill
behind a Harley-ish rider (A Honda Valkyrie, I
think it was; like a Harley). He tried hard to
keep a straight face when I zoomed up behind
him and waited for him to speed up. It would
have been comical for me to pass him...I should
have.

Shoulder pain -- After 50 miles, my shoulders did

Your body may just need to get adjusted to rides of this length.

That's good...I was hoping I wouldn't have to
fool around with a setup that I think works.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 18th 03, 01:41 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:07:14 -0500, Pat wrote:
I, too, rode 65 miles today on the Red Hot Chili Pepper ride in Dallas. I
found that my butt was okay for the first 45 miles, but then started to
hurt
thereafter. I think we both need to stand up more and let some blood flow
through that area.

I think you're correct.

I also developed a click when my right foot got to the 2 o:clock area.
I'll
check my pedals. It drives you nuts, doesn't it? I stopped and brushed
the
front tire with my hand and then inspected the brake pads and spokes, but
still click click click.

I thought it was my bottom bracket, and the sound was
a very weird sound at first; once I figured it out, I
was okay.

Then, later, after forgetting about the squeak, it
started to click, and it drove me crazy until I made
the connection in my mind -- that the click was in the
same part of the stroke as the squeak was before, and
was coming from the pedal. The click annoyed me slightly
more, but I got used to it.

My ride had some really really bad hills. Coming down the backside of
Hill, I found my shoulders hurting. I think it was from tensing up from
effort. Could this be your problem, too? If so, you might try shrugging
shoulders while riding on the level areas. I have to remind myself to
relax those muscles from time to time.

Could be. I had a rather flat ride, but my shoulders
may not have started hurting until I had bonked and
was heading home -- uphill. While it wasn't one long
straight hill home, there was definately a net
elevation gain.

I like Pearl Izumi's White Line gloves. I had some of their more

Thanks...I'll check into those.

Pat in TX

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 18th 03, 01:47 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:44:58 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:
What beach were you riding by, and what time? I saw a lot of bikes out
this morning, mostly in small groups like yours when I went down to Narr
town beach around 10:00.

All of Narragansett, Scarborough, etc. I covered most
of the major roads in that area.

Those guys I had ridden with, who were training for a
triathlon, only rode for 14 mi; that was on Rte. 2
between Rtes. 102 and 138, where that nice wide bike
lane is on both sides and it's moderately flat (you
know, past the farms and the turf place and such).

That said, I'd guess that it was 11:00 or later by
the time I got to that area, after my tire issues
and hanging around Narragansett Bikes for however
long it took me to blow my money there.

--
Rick Onanian