Fraud alert! In relation to selling bikes.

Old July 30th 04, 10:02 PM
slacker

Default Fraud alert! In relation to selling bikes.

If you're selling a moderately expensive bike, beware of people
like Mike Adams sending you a forged
or stolen cheque, especially if it arrives in an envelope with
Nigerian stamps.

The other part of the scam is the "shipping cost" will be
significantly larger than the value of the bike. The scammer will
ask that the "shipping cost" is transferred via (someone like)
Western Union to an address (probably) in the U. S. of A.

There will appear to be a great hurry to transfer the funds, because
the cheque will _appear_ to cash Ok. One/two weeks later the cheque
will be returned as stolen/fraudulent and the money you _thought_
you had in your account will evaporate instantly.

[I've not lost any money or bike, as the fraud guy at Western Union
alerted me. Thank you J!]

The 15 email messages I received in relation to this scam, all came
from just four Wi-Fi modem/routers. The IP addresses a 81.199.6.63 ,
81.199.83.148 , 212.199.109.82 , 81.18,33.124

One of the things that smelt bad about this whole thing, was that some
email messages from Mike Adams also, came from the same IP address as
"the shipping company"[1].

[1] This is just a "front" to receive your money, in my case Mike Adams
invented or colluded with "Tony Lloyd"

Naturally, I've informed both my bank and the local police about all this.

Regards, and safe shopping.

The Slacker (who can be very cunning if it becomes necessary).
Old July 30th 04, 10:07 PM
Simonb

slacker wrote:

The Slacker (who can be very cunning if it becomes necessary).

Just not cunning enough not to fall for one of the oldest tricks in the
book.

;-)

Old July 30th 04, 11:03 PM
Tony Raven

slacker wrote:

The other part of the scam is the "shipping cost" will be
significantly larger than the value of the bike. The scammer will
ask that the "shipping cost" is transferred via (someone like)
Western Union to an address (probably) in the U. S. of A.

Thanks for the heads up - but why is he charging you shipping for a bike
you are selling to him?

Tony
Old July 30th 04, 11:54 PM
Adrian Boliston

"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote in message

g) The cheque bounces, you have paid "Bob" a considerable sum of money
_and_ he's been sent whatever it was you were selling for free!

The whole thing sounds crazy, as a seller gets funds *in* not *out*, but the
stupidest thing would be to count an uncleared cheque as "cash"!

Old July 31st 04, 12:29 AM
James Annan

Adrian Boliston wrote:

The whole thing sounds crazy, as a seller gets funds *in* not *out*,

That, of course, is why people (apparently) fall for it.

but the
stupidest thing would be to count an uncleared cheque as "cash"!

Well, AIUI, cheques can appear cleared initially and then subsequently
bounce. Ie "cleared funds" are only cleared on the assumption that the
cheque will not subsequently be found to be fraudulent. Not sure about
this but it's what I've heard.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

Old July 31st 04, 01:36 AM
Mark Thompson

Well, AIUI, cheques can appear cleared initially and then subsequently
bounce. Ie "cleared funds" are only cleared on the assumption that the
cheque will not subsequently be found to be fraudulent. Not sure about
this but it's what I've heard.

AFAIK you're right. The bank will (normally) even allow you to withdraw
all or some of the value of the cheque on the strength of the cheque[1] on
the understanding that you pay the fine if it bounces.

[1] Yes, I know that may not make sense, but it's one thirty in the morning
and I'm pleasantly drunk. I'm working on the assumption that anyone that
reads usenet is intelligent enough to know what I'm prattling on about, and
those that read this ng through cyclingforums are second class citizens so
no one cares if they can't understand :-P
Old July 31st 04, 11:08 AM
Rob

93.157...
:
: AFAIK you're right. The bank will (normally) even allow you to withdraw
: all or some of the value of the cheque on the strength of the cheque[1] on
: the understanding that you pay the fine if it bounces.
:
: [1] Yes, I know that may not make sense, but it's one thirty in the
morning
: and I'm pleasantly drunk. I'm working on the assumption that anyone that
: reads usenet is intelligent enough to know what I'm prattling on about,
and
: those that read this ng through cyclingforums are second class citizens so
: no one cares if they can't understand :-P

Aye, your prattle is about right :-). I sold something to an ebayer, cheque
cleared according to my internet banking, then a week later the bank
returned the cheque to me saying that it'd bounced. Took me 2 months to get
the money, but got it in the end.

Rob

Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
so many bike types - which is which? tsp General 11 October 15th 03 10:02 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM