What's the heaviest wind you will ride in?

Old September 18th 03, 08:22 PM
Jpfler

Default What's the heaviest wind you will ride in?

Luigi de Guzman -wrote-

Hey Eric, are you gonna try and make BikeDC on Sat? WABA has decided to
soldier on, rain or shine. I'm debating whether or not conditions will be
safe enough to warrant a ride in from Fairfax

Hope your trip in, if over the W&OD and Curtis Trails, is free of debris.

Jim
Old September 18th 03, 09:17 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:22:02 GMT, Bob M wrote:

I was riding home one time in Arizona and got stuck in a monsoon (a vicious
storm with high winds that may or may not bring rain, lightening, hail,
etc.). There was no rain, but the wind was horrible. I was busting my
butt to ride at 10 mph (if that -- I couldn't see to look down) on
perfectly flat ground.

"Monsoon" is properly a *wind*--the seasonal shift of
southwest/northeast winds in south and southeast asia that brings
moisture for half of the year.

how was this appropriated in Arizona?

why not go back to the spanish--"Aguacero" (squall)....

but then, I'm not sure i'd be able to deal with such a pretty word
being horrendously gringified....

-Luigi

Me morire' en Pari's con aguacero....

Old September 18th 03, 10:52 PM
Eric S. Sande

Hey Eric, are you gonna try and make BikeDC on Sat?

It's going to depend on how much water we get tonight and tomorrow.

I'm sure the weather will be fine but we could easily see a number
of downed trees and flooding along the rivers. My thinking right
now is wait and see.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 19th 03, 02:50 AM
Chris Neary

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/w...controls=image

Not the worst, but respectable.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old September 19th 03, 06:40 AM
Mark Hickey

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

"Monsoon" is properly a *wind*--the seasonal shift of
southwest/northeast winds in south and southeast asia that brings
moisture for half of the year.

how was this appropriated in Arizona?

My understanding is that "hurricane" is a storm in the Atlantic, and
"monsoon" is the same thing in the Pacific. At any rate, they don't
amount to much in Arizona. I laughed when I was told I was in the
middle of my first one (having survived hurricane Andrew). Basically
a "monsoon" in the Phoenix area is a little wind and a smattering of
rain (they lose a lot of steam crossing the desert to get here
apparently).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 19th 03, 07:05 AM
Eric S. Sande

My understanding is that "hurricane" is a storm in the Atlantic, and
"monsoon" is the same thing in the Pacific.

I was under the impression that they were called "Typhoons" in the
Pacific and that monsoons were more or less seasonal winds in areas
that the US has not yet conquered.

However I could be wrong.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old September 19th 03, 07:19 AM
David Reuteler

Eric S. Sande wrote:
: I was under the impression that they were called "Typhoons" in the
: Pacific and that monsoons were more or less seasonal winds in areas
: that the US has not yet conquered.

no, but they do speak english thanks to the brits. a monsoon is a periodic
wind in the indian ocean and vicinity.

: However I could be wrong.

you're also right about typhoons. interestingly enough, according to noaa
tropical cyclone is the generic term and hurricane and typhoon are regional
terms for a strong tropical cyclone. that i did not know. hurricane is
derived from the mayan god hurakan.

thank god for NOAA, eh?
--
david reuteler

Old September 19th 03, 07:57 AM
Eric S. Sande

thank god for NOAA, eh?

Thank PEPCO and Verizon for buried utilities, quite a few here are
in the dark but I'm up and running.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

65 mile ride, my problems, etc. [long, you probably don't care, etc] Rick Onanian General 46 August 21st 03 12:53 PM
Bonking and food for a ride Sandy Christmus General 38 August 9th 03 08:44 PM
SF Willie Brown to Receive NBG, Berkeley Mayor to ride with NBG Just a Cyclist General 1 August 7th 03 05:00 PM
Group ride questions Ken General 4 July 24th 03 01:05 AM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM