98 Miles High

Old December 3rd 04, 07:40 AM
Terry Morse

Default 98 Miles High

I got an e-mail from this guy the other day. He's trying to break an
annual climbing record that he read about in Bicycling Magazine, and
he has a web site and upcomng book entitled "98 Miles High":

"Coming in January, 2005 98 Miles High"

"When opportunity meets perseverance, a world record is possible. 98
Miles High is not just the vertical distance climbed in one year,
it's the story about the drive and dedication needed to break an
obscure but difficult cycling record. It details one man's search to
be the best and his dedication to the cause. It's a "Tuesday's with
Morrie" meets La Cumbre Peak! The best cycling story book of the
year."

http://www.98mileshigh.com/index.shtml

It was nice of him to write me. He must have stumbled onto the photo
of my 200-mile certificate of achievement:

http://bike.terrymorse.com/spooktacu...IMG_0850a.html

I didn't know there was a healthy competition going on. I thought I
was the only weirdo. When I said that maybe I should go for 2
million feet next year, my wife said in her serious tone, "I'm going
to pretend I didn't hear what you just said." Message received. Time
to take up knitting.

213 miles in Jan-Nov, but I'm not counting any more. Really.
Old December 3rd 04, 09:05 AM
Bill Baka

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:40:29 -0800, Terry Morse wrote:

I got an e-mail from this guy the other day. He's trying to break an
annual climbing record that he read about in Bicycling Magazine, and
he has a web site and upcomng book entitled "98 Miles High":

"Coming in January, 2005 98 Miles High"

It sounds hard but if you froke it into 365 days that would only
be about 1500 feet per day, doable. I used to ride in Healdsburg
where I worked in the wine country and did 900 feet once at lunch
and up to 5 times after work where darkness cut me off. On the weekends
I was nowhere near hills so coulnd not add to the total. In the summer
I came close to a mile a day, but never thought of tallying it.
A GPS might have been a cool tool since I probably could have counted
all the down then up again little swooshy hills. It is possible I came
close but fitness was the goal, not a record. My reward for 5 times
around the hill, a nice cold Millers Gold. Not healthy but it sure
hit the spot.

Old December 3rd 04, 04:17 PM
Terry Morse

Bill Baka wrote:

In the summer
I came close to a mile a day, but never thought of tallying it.

A vertical mile per day, every day? That's a lot. My highest monthly
total is 27.6 miles, set in September when I was training for and
completing the Everest Challenge. That was with only 3 rest days.
Highest 7-day total was 8.7 miles. I doubt you really did a mile a
day consistently.

A GPS might have been a cool tool since I probably could have counted
all the down then up again little swooshy hills.

Altimeter bike computer is a better tool than a GPS.
Old December 3rd 04, 04:52 PM
GaryG

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Bill Baka wrote:

In the summer
I came close to a mile a day, but never thought of tallying it.

A vertical mile per day, every day? That's a lot. My highest monthly
total is 27.6 miles, set in September when I was training for and
completing the Everest Challenge. That was with only 3 rest days.
Highest 7-day total was 8.7 miles. I doubt you really did a mile a
day consistently.

A GPS might have been a cool tool since I probably could have counted
all the down then up again little swooshy hills.

Altimeter bike computer is a better tool than a GPS.

Do you have any recommendations for a good altimeter?

I'm currently using a Vetta V100A, which seems reasonably accurate.
Comparing its results with an older Avocet Vertech watch, and the estimates
from DeLorme's Topo USA software, the Vetta consistently reports more than
the Vertech, and less than Topo USA. I assume this is because the Vertech
has a 10 meter "trigger" for accumulation (compared to 1 m for the Vetta),
and the Topo USA software is known to overstate its elevation gain
estimates.

The Vetta also has an inclinometer feature, and can report current grade,
plus maximum grade encountered on a ride (reporting both the maximum "up"
and "down" grades), which is kind of cool. Unfortunately, I question the
reliability of the inclinometer - it seems to get fooled sometimes and
report grades that are unreasonably large (e.g., 22%), perhaps because it is
sampling too often.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old December 3rd 04, 05:06 PM
SlowRider

Terry Morse wrote in message ...
I didn't know there was a healthy competition going on. I thought I
was the only weirdo. When I said that maybe I should go for 2
million feet next year, my wife said in her serious tone, "I'm going
to pretend I didn't hear what you just said." Message received. Time
to take up knitting.

213 miles in Jan-Nov, but I'm not counting any more. Really.

What a cool idea! That's the kind of thing that motivates me: set a
goal and then focus on it. Kudos to you -- 200 vertical miles in a
year is impressive. No wonder you're so darned skinny! ;-)

JR
Old December 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
Terry Morse

"GaryG" wrote:

Do you have any recommendations for a good altimeter?

The brands that are most popular among my riding buddies are the
Polar and Ciclosport. If you don't need heart monitor or data
logging features, the Ciclosport has a model for a decent price.
Both brands log about the same vertical. The Cateye over-reports
accumulated vertical; I don't recommend using it. I don't know about
the Vetta.
Old December 3rd 04, 05:37 PM
Roger Zoul

Terry Morse wrote:
:: Bill Baka wrote:
::
::: In the summer
::: I came close to a mile a day, but never thought of tallying it.
::
:: A vertical mile per day, every day? That's a lot. My highest monthly
:: total is 27.6 miles, set in September when I was training for and
:: completing the Everest Challenge. That was with only 3 rest days.
:: Highest 7-day total was 8.7 miles. I doubt you really did a mile a
:: day consistently.

Not only did he do a mile a day consistently, but he did it with 35 mph
sidewind with the bile tilted at 45 degrees!

::
::: A GPS might have been a cool tool since I probably could have
::: counted all the down then up again little swooshy hills.
::
:: Altimeter bike computer is a better tool than a GPS.
:: --
:: terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Old December 3rd 04, 06:20 PM
Rick Warner

Bill Baka wrote in message ...
[...]

Bill,

You must be talking of the other guy's goal, 98 miles (517440 ft);
Terry did over twice that and is still going but not counting.

And Terry, the 'other guy' who promotes his 'world record' is named
Jeff Alden and he has a letter in the current Bicycling touting that
he broke the (his) previous 'record' this past Sep when he went over
something like 404000 and change. Since the editors at Rodale keep
giving him a forum for self-promotion perhaps you should provide some
zip and tell them of your achievement. I did a quick, conservative
tally, and I am just under 500K right now with most of December left,
and had almost 6 weeks off due to my collision with the wrong way
cyclist on the Wilkie bridge. Alden's records are so laughable since
you and know that 500K is pretty common in the area we live.

- rick
Old December 3rd 04, 07:14 PM
GaryG

"Rick Warner" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

[...]

How many miles have you logged for that 500K of elevation gain? I thought I
was having a pretty good year with 200K...sheesh!

GG

Old December 3rd 04, 07:27 PM
Roger Zoul

GaryG wrote:
|| "Rick Warner" wrote in message
|| om...
||| Bill,
||| You must be talking of the other guy's goal, 98 miles (517440 ft);
||| Terry did over twice that and is still going but not counting.
||| And Terry, the 'other guy' who promotes his 'world record' is named
||| Jeff Alden and he has a letter in the current Bicycling touting that
||| he broke the (his) previous 'record' this past Sep when he went over
||| something like 404000 and change. Since the editors at Rodale keep
||| giving him a forum for self-promotion perhaps you should provide
||| some
||| zip and tell them of your achievement. I did a quick,
||| conservative tally, and I am just under 500K right now with most of
||| December left,
||| and had almost 6 weeks off due to my collision with the wrong way
||| cyclist on the Wilkie bridge. Alden's records are so laughable
||| since
||| you and know that 500K is pretty common in the area we live.
||| - rick
|| How many miles have you logged for that 500K of elevation gain? I
|| thought I was having a pretty good year with 200K...sheesh!

You are having a pretty good year. Those other guys are just off the
frickin map!