A bike that even Joerg couldn't break?

Old November 21st 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A bike that even Joerg couldn't break?

On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts
or read your statements in posts others make.

I read Joerg's posts, and I believe he breaks a lot of things. It's
not so incredible to think that hard use will destroy bike parts,
really. The only thing I find truly incredible is his resistance to
carrying a chain tool. Rocks and sticks, feh.

Although my tool kit weighs over a pound I am a minimalist in that
respect. I carry only tools that cannot be replaced by a McGyver trick.
A chain can be fixed without a chain tool so why carry one?

Are you f****** kidding? You carry a tool so you can repair your chain in five minutes instead of an hour looking for a nail, rock, etc., etc. That's crazy. Why carry any tools when you can build a small forge and beat a nail into a hex wrench, etc., etc.?

I rather carry an extra bottle of water, dextrose tablets and such in
case I find a hiker who grossly underestimated their hydration and
energy need. There were a few. One of them was already passed out on the
ground.

And he or she wasn't eaten by a mountain lion? Thank Buddha. Why not take an automatic emergency defibrillator or some field dressings and splints? Maybe the downed hiker needed insulin -- take some of that too. But don't burden yourself with a 185g multi-tool. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...gc lsrc=aw.ds That would be too much and probably cause all the fasteners on your bike to explode.

-- Jay Beattie.

Now now Jay, Remember that Joerg has a problem with understanding American humor.
Old November 21st 16, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2016-11-21 09:26, Doug Landau wrote:
On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts
or read your statements in posts others make.

I read Joerg's posts, and I believe he breaks a lot of things. It's
not so incredible to think that hard use will destroy bike parts,
really. The only thing I find truly incredible is his resistance to
carrying a chain tool. Rocks and sticks, feh.

I don't doubt that Joerg breaks stuff, but I think "hard use" depends a
lot on riding technique. IOW, I think you can send two riders of
identical weight and power on identical rides on identical bikes and
have very different amounts of bike damage.

--
- Frank Krygowski

And I agree. I have a Bridgestone XO-1 in my garage that my youngest daughter rode from the Pacific Ocean in Oregon to the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia without so much as a flat.

Yabbut how much does she weigh

She probably also didn't take direct routes such as this one from Lotus
to Folsom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cjAW_nrl4

That is a normal trail out here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The two girls were racers at that time and could have ridden a course like that on a bike like that so easily that it would embarrass me. But the ride from "Sea To Shining Sea" was entirely on the road. Though many of the backroads were almost that well paved.
Old November 22nd 16, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On 2016-11-20 01:15, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Too much weight what with the gallons of beer he finds vital for his
rides..... come to think of it maybe the beer is necessary to fuel his
tales of riding in the primitive California wilderness.
Old November 22nd 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-11-20 01:15, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

After seeing this I'd be a mite concerned about having to wander around looking for a nail and a rock to fix a chain with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQWwVpxQsw

Cheers
Old November 22nd 16, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 21/11/16 18:21, jbeattie wrote:

And he or she wasn't eaten by a mountain lion? Thank Buddha. Why not
take an automatic emergency defibrillator or some field dressings and
splints? Maybe the downed hiker needed insulin -- take some of that
too. But don't burden yourself with a 185g multi-tool.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...gc lsrc=aw.ds

That would be too much and probably cause all the fasteners on your
bike to explode.

And I notice that has a bottle opener, useful for emergency hydration
:-)
Old November 22nd 16, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 21/11/16 22:01, James wrote:
On 22/11/16 07:22, Doug Landau wrote:

Joerg is lion-resistant
It happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4G_nWJYZA

Is that like being water resistant? ISTM that eventually, everything
that is water resistant leaks.

I think it depends on the depth of lions you are immersed in.