Handlebars for barcons?

Old November 21st 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Handlebars for barcons?

I picked up a Fuji S12-S.
It has bar-end shifters.
I can't stand the narrow bars and have not removed them yet.

Will I find grooves? For the barcons? It seems like the cable coming out of the barcons is underneath the bars right from the beginning, not coming out a hole, but I can't tell if there is a groove it is in.

I'd like to replace the bars and also the brake levers. With BR400 aero levers. I have a 3TTT drop bar from a 8-speed 1st gen Ultegra bike. Will it work?

thx

Old November 21st 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/21/2016 2:18 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
I picked up a Fuji S12-S.
It has bar-end shifters.
I can't stand the narrow bars and have not removed them yet.

Will I find grooves? For the barcons? It seems like the cable coming out of the barcons is underneath the bars right from the beginning, not coming out a hole, but I can't tell if there is a groove it is in.

I'd like to replace the bars and also the brake levers. With BR400 aero levers. I have a 3TTT drop bar from a 8-speed 1st gen Ultegra bike. Will it work?

No grooves in a bar in that area. Casing just tapes to the
bars. Wrap over it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 21st 16, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 11/21/2016 12:18 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
I picked up a Fuji S12-S.
It has bar-end shifters.
I can't stand the narrow bars and have not removed them yet.

Will I find grooves? For the barcons? It seems like the cable coming out of the barcons is underneath the bars right from the beginning, not coming out a hole, but I can't tell if there is a groove it is in.

I'd like to replace the bars and also the brake levers. With BR400 aero levers. I have a 3TTT drop bar from a 8-speed 1st gen Ultegra bike. Will it work?

Your 3TTT bars should be fully compatible with the bar-cons.

If you mean do the existing handlebars have grooves for the cable,
almost certainly not. Barcons started going /out/ of style right around
the time that grooved bars (for brake cables and Ergo shifters mostly)
started appearing.

The only limitation on replacement bar compatibility with bar-cons will
be if the hole at the bar end is too small, and only *cheap*
small-diameter steel bars might have that problem.

Traditional bar-cons run the cable housing between the bar and tape,
along the underside of the bar, from the end of the bar to ... wherever
you decide.

The overwhelmingly typical arrangement is for the housing to come out
from under the bar tape shortly after the bar starts turning upward. In
the /old/ days, pre-index, some would run the housing under the bar tape
to the very top of the bar, near the stem. This looked cleaner but was
alleged to introduce more friction to the cable system; I never tried
that arrangement.

I have seen photos of a setup with drilled holes in the bars and cable
housing run internally; housing exited the bars through a hole near the
stem. The photo, of course, was of the bars after they failed at this
upper hole. Not a good idea.

Mark J.

Old November 21st 16, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/21/2016 4:00 PM, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Agreed. I have bar end shifters on six bikes in the house. (Some are
index, some friction.) No holes in the bars. None are necessary.

BTW, four of those bikes have the shift cables under the tape all the
way up close to the stem. I don't have any problem with cable friction
on those bikes, including the one with index shifting.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 22nd 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 1:54:08 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

And the end openings on all bars are almost identical. The only differences are production tolerances.
Old November 22nd 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/22/2016 4:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's true only for quality road bars 20.5mmID.

Cheap aluminum road bars are thicker. Steel road bars are
smaller both outside and inside than yours. MTB bars can be
quite thick with ID as small as 16mm= no go with bar cons.

(some SOMA flat bar models are bored for bar cons from 17mm
to 19.5mm for the last 2cm)

Old November 22nd 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

[...]

Kool. Sending them forward in big loops sure looks awful