Loop detector detector?

Old September 6th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Loop detector detector?

http://goo.gl/oqnLpQ

if plate steel quietly rolled thru the area switches the circuit then the switching signal/plate position would allow equipment testing ?

Santa Cruz bat search us kinda weak but Frank's Ohio has old barn lofts with HUGE BATS.
Old September 6th 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 5, 2014 7:37:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
http://goo.gl/oqnLpQ

if plate steel quietly rolled thru the area switches the circuit then the switching signal/plate position would allow equipment testing ?

Santa Cruz bat search us kinda weak but Frank's Ohio has old barn lofts with HUGE BATS.

00000000000000-

http://www.zoro.com/g/Hand-Held%20Ca...2/?category=24
Old September 8th 14, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:31:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Yow. That sounds like a heck of a project.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any commercial value. The need for an
inductive loop detector detector is rather limited.

I'd be willing to spend the money and do the building, if I knew it
would work...

Translation: No R&D budget for this project. Sigh.

Don't worry about the parts cost. I think the big expense will be the
legal fees should I be arrested for terrorism while trying to
manipulate the traffic signals and causing public panic. Don't laugh
as I've had similar problems with my wi-fi interference sniffing
activities.

I'm fairly sure it will work. I'll try to throw something together to
see what can be done. If you can get your local road department to
disclose the maker and model number of the inductive loop detectors
that they're using, it might offer some clues.

Incidentally, I also tried a Zircon i320 stud finder on the assumption
that it might be able to distinguish the difference between the
dielectric constant of asphalt and wire loop. It didn't work, but I
want to try again at a different intersection.

Hopefully not a busy intersection. I've got this picture in my head of
Jeff, head down and ass up in an intersection, suddenly becoming a hood
ornament on a passing Mack truck.
Old September 8th 14, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 00:39:18 GMT, Ralph Barone
wrote:

Hopefully not a busy intersection. I've got this picture in my head of
Jeff, head down and ass up in an intersection, suddenly becoming a hood
ornament on a passing Mack truck.

Traffic lights in my area have one unique historical characteristic.
All of them were inspired by at least one fatal accident in the
intersection. In other words, we don't get a traffic signal unless we
kill someone for it. It's helpful to remember that when working in
the intersection.

Mack trucks are not a problem. Distracted drivers bearing cell phones
are potentially more of a problem. So far, the only problem I've had
was when one driver apparently decided that I was laying land mines in
the roadway, and took a very wide excursion into opposing traffic
trying to avoid me. There was no head-on collision, but there could
easily have been one.

Lesson learned: Avoid building anything with a flashing LED display
(my ancient frequency counter) because television has stereotyped
flashing LED devices as always being a bomb. Fortunately, it can
easily be disarmed by cutting the red wire.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 4th 14, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/5/2014 6:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:52:39 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

One EE in my family asked if I tried a stud finder. I told him that
AFAIK know, they work on difference in densities, and that it would be a
heck of a coincidence if it found that wire. He then agreed with me, so
I didn't bother to check.

But it now occurs to me that I've seen a model of stud finder that can
be switched to find (house) wiring instead of studs. I know a guy who
has one. Maybe I should borrow it and try it.

It won't work. It's not the wire it's finding, it's the 60 Hz power
line radiation which is not present on the inductive loop detector.

Also, a metal detector won't work. Some claim to detect any metal
including copper, but are not particularly sensitive with non-ferrous
metals. Others claim otherwise:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071018133950AATyyUZ

Reviving a discussion, with some good news:

There was one loop detector I most wanted to locate. It's where a park
road crosses a busy street, and the loop was invisible. Cyclists often
missed getting a green light to cross. I intended to mark the
detector's location, so bicyclists would know where to stand to get
detected.

The good news? I led a ride through there about a week ago. The park
road had just been repaved. As part of the project, they installed a
traffic detection camera. We had no trouble at all getting our green light.

I haven't tried the intersection on my own yet, but I suspect (and hope)
they'll have the camera properly programmed to detect even one cyclist.

--
- Frank Krygowski