SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 10th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights throughout
the day, as well as at night."

.... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 10th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/10/2018 1:35 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 22:02:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've tried rain pants only once, IIRC. IMO there can't possibly be
enough ventilation. But I admit, I know no really comfortable way of
riding in the rain.

Use 1: a cape, 2: mudguards and 3: sandals. (Wool soxes/socks if it is
cold). Caveat, I made the cape myself.

Plenty of ventilation.

That's what I usually use, except for the sandals part, although I have
friends who love their riding sandals. The mud flap on my fender takes
care of most road spray at my feet. Shoe covers over my toe clips offer
further help when necessary.

But I'm still not really comfortable riding in the rain, unless it's the
lightest sprinkle.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 10th 18, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 9:35:17 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 1:35 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 22:02:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've tried rain pants only once, IIRC. IMO there can't possibly be
enough ventilation. But I admit, I know no really comfortable way of
riding in the rain.

Use 1: a cape, 2: mudguards and 3: sandals. (Wool soxes/socks if it is
cold). Caveat, I made the cape myself.

Plenty of ventilation.

That's what I usually use, except for the sandals part, although I have
friends who love their riding sandals. The mud flap on my fender takes
care of most road spray at my feet. Shoe covers over my toe clips offer
further help when necessary.

But I'm still not really comfortable riding in the rain, unless it's the
lightest sprinkle.

I've never used a rain cape and hate things that flap. For long rides in the rain, I wear basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIzz9VBdKCU Showers Pass jacket, PI Amfib tights, Gore booties (or one of my four or five pairs of booties). I wear a poly pro base layer and a mid-layer. This time of year, wool is a good mid-layer. I have some lightweight long-finger Giro gloves my son got on pro deal that are good for early fall, and I switch to more robust gloves as the temperatures drop.

That video has snippets of Larch Mountain (cut back and forth with hills practically in my back yard -- odd), which is a 14.5 mile climb and probably the hardest ride for picking clothing since it can be 50F at the bottom and snow at the top. You have to have something that vents really well for the climb, stays relatively dry and zips up tight for the descent. I also take a light vest and an ear band or balaclava to put on at the top.

I've told this story before, but the RT from my house to the top of Larch Mountain is 90 miles depending on route, and I did it with some friends entirely in the rain -- all day from beginning to end. Everyone got hypothermic on the descent. We had to stop repeatedly to warm up. Half the group called their wives for a ride home from Corbett. I had pretty good layering and revitalized with a life-saving corn dog at the Corbett store (and stood over a heating vent) http://columbiariverimages.com/Image...t_06-30-14.jpg , and although I suffered in the freezing rain coming down the mountain, the ride home was reasonably comfortable.

Everything soaks through eventually, and you have to pick layers that will keep you reasonably warm when wet. IMO, booties are the most important. I can't stand cold swamp feet. Everybody has fenders and rain bikes. You get shunned on a group ride if you don't have flaps on your fenders. https://www.flickr.com/photos/krheap...7632139896627/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 10th 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights throughout
the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 10th 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights throughout
the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Flash and pulse modes on the Oculus literally punch the daylights out of that Exposure light. Yes, trying to sell lights, also trying to save lives.
Flash/pulse modes should only be used in daylight, when ambient light is brighter than the bike's light. After dark, lights should be used on constant brightness modes only.
Old October 10th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

Old October 10th 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights
throughout the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Flash and pulse modes on the Oculus literally punch the daylights out
of that Exposure light. Yes, trying to sell lights, also trying to
save lives. Flash/pulse modes should only be used in daylight, when
ambient light is brighter than the bike's light. After dark, lights
should be used on constant brightness modes only.

I always walk and drive up to my bike to find out what lighting is good
and to make sure it won't disturb people. I found rear-flashing ok and
actually beneficial but front-flashing to be very annoying. So even
though my road bike front light has a flash mode I never use it.

The only use I could imagine is if I were to find a crash victim out in
the boonies and had to signal rescue where it is.

Old October 10th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 10:25, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... Everybody has fenders and
rain bikes. You get shunned on a group ride if you don't have flaps
on your fenders.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/krheap...7632139896627/

That does not apply to mountain bikers where mud is a badge of honor.
When I came back from a ride looking like this ...

http://www.outdooradventureguide.co....TG2_GB-461.jpg

.... my wife made me unpeel in the garage and hose off.

Old October 10th 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/10/2018 1:25 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Crossing threads a bit:

Wait! Were there bicyclists all through that video? I didn't notice any
until about 0:52 when the flashing light became visible! ;-)

More seriously, when I saw the flash at 0:52 I first thought it was the
sunlight reflecting off the road as the bike swayed beneath the rider.
Then I re-played the video and saw that yes, there is a blinky just
barely visible at about 0:24 and 0:40. I didn't notice them at all the
first time through.

So much for the magic of daytime lights.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 10th 18, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 1:26:01 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I still remember the bicycling adage folr when riding in the rain especially a heavy rain. "You're wet and cold or you're wet and warm but either way you're wet". That adage was true whether one was wearing waterproof breathable clothing, waterproof only clothing or regular clothing. When honking up a steep climb or otherwise exerting myself I found that the waterproof breathable jackets didn't vent sweat or other body moisture fast enough to prevent my clothing getting wet. At least the jacket was windproof which stopped me from getting hypothermia.

BTW, true hypothermia requires medical treatment and can NOT be overcome simple by standing someplace warm. In fact true hypothermia plus an external heating source can be fatal. One of the greatest treatments for hypothermia these days is to give the victim WARM air or oxygen via a face mask so that the body warms from the inside towards the outside.

Cheers