Wife & Whether to Helmet or not to Helmet

Old April 27th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wife & Whether to Helmet or not to Helmet

My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish provided
that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no brain damage or
permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries are sustained, I am
instructed that I should die.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

Old April 27th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bestest Handsander wrote:
My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish
provided that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no
brain damage or permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries
are sustained, I am instructed that I should die.

Uh... sounds like a personal problem.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

Hmm. I think the wife needs a bit of reprogramming.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 27th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bestest Handsander wrote:
My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish
provided that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no
brain damage or permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries
are sustained, I am instructed that I should die.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

Divorce her and take up Duplicate Bridge.

HTH, BS

Old April 27th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:52:37 -0600, "Bestest Handsander"
wrote:

My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish provided
that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no brain damage or
permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries are sustained, I am
instructed that I should die.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

Dear BH,

Judging by often-cited statistics from several nations on
cycling head injuries versus helmet use, a helmet won't make
any significant difference.

Your best bet would be to move to a country where cycling is
popular. The fatal accident rate (and the helmet-use rate)
in such countries are typically much lower than in the
United States:

See the graph on the right of this page:

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

It shows that in 1998, the U.S. twice as many fatal
accidents per mile ridden as the Netherlands, even though
38% of U.S. riders wore helmet, as opposed to 0.1% of the
reckless riders in the Netherlands.

In any case, more husbands are probably murdered every year
by their wives in the U.S. [1] than are killed on bicycles
(about 700-800 husbands, wives, and singles). Consider
wearing a helmet if you criticize her.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[1] See http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/mf.pdf for an
example of how tricky statistics are. This often-cited study
of family murders was culled from only 8,000 killings in the
75 most murderous counties 1988--would that there had been
only 8,000 killings.

And would that the government had made the details plainer!
You'd think that it would be easier for bachelors to find
out before the wedding how bloodthirsty the brides are
likely to be, but this obvious question is obscured by
cultural prejudice and bureaucratese.
Old April 27th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bestest Handsander wrote:
My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish provided
that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no brain damage or
permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries are sustained, I am
instructed that I should die.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

Too late! Best thing you can do now is get elbow and knee pads.

dl

Old April 27th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I'll bet speed is an important factor. Cyclists in the US I'm guessing
tend more to be fitness-types who are probably riding on average much
faster than the average Dutch rider. In The Netherlands, you get all
sorts of normal people and old ladies riding bikes around at 3 mph in
addition to their fitness-types. Sure you can get seriously injured
getting doored at 3mph, but crashing at 25mph is a much better way to
ensure adequate injury!

Joseph

Old April 27th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I can make this decision very easy for you.

There are only 2 reasons NOT to wear a helmet.

A ) You don't have a brain.

B ) You have a spare head.

If you're not sure which choice would be better for you, you don't need
to wear one. :-)

Lewis.

******

Old April 27th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bestest Handsander wrote:
My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish provided
that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no brain damage or
permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries are sustained, I am
instructed that I should die.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

The US Weather service recommends helmets
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11765409

Old April 27th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish provided
that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no brain damage or
permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries are sustained, I am
instructed that I should die.

Ask her if she looks forward to pushing you around in wheelchair due
to your spinal injuries while your brain and mouth still function
fine.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
Old April 27th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bestest Handsander wrote:
My wife and I have an agreement that I may cycle as much as I wish provided
that I recover fully from any injuries. In other words, no brain damage or
permanent disablity. In the event that such injuries are sustained, I am
instructed that I should die.

So, my questions is... in order to live up (har har) to my end of the
agreement, would I do better to wear a helmet or go hatless?

Must be that time of year for this crappola....