My only hope...

Old November 5th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Hobson

Default My only hope...

....is that the children who were riding with their dad (when they saw
him hit me, get out to move my bike out of his way as I lay on the
ground, and then drive off) don't grow up thinking that what he did is
acceptable behavior.

I'm fine btw. My Bianchi frame is toast, but everything on it is fine.
I'll be riding the train for a few months though as it looks like my
left wrist may need surgery.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old November 5th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Paul Hobson wrote:
...is that the children who were riding with their dad (when they saw
him hit me, get out to move my bike out of his way as I lay on the
ground, and then drive off) don't grow up thinking that what he did is
acceptable behavior.

Any witnesses? Police report? Description of vehicle and driver even if no
license plate number?

I'm fine btw. My Bianchi frame is toast, but everything on it is
fine. I'll be riding the train for a few months though as it looks
like my left wrist may need surgery.

Totally sucks; sorry you got hit (and glad it wasn't worse)...

Bill S.

Old November 5th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Paul Hobson" wrote in message
...is that the children who were riding with their dad (when they saw him
hit me, get out to move my bike out of his way as I lay on the ground, and
then drive off) don't grow up thinking that what he did is acceptable
behavior.

I'm fine btw. My Bianchi frame is toast, but everything on it is fine.
I'll be riding the train for a few months though as it looks like my left
wrist may need surgery.

I'm sorry sorry to hear of this collision. That's awful.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old November 5th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Paul Hobson wrote:
...is that the children who were riding with their dad (when they saw
him hit me, get out to move my bike out of his way as I lay on the
ground, and then drive off) don't grow up thinking that what he did is
acceptable behavior.

Well you know what they say: You learn most of your behaviors from your
parents. So I don't hold much hope for those children. Maybe I am wrong.

I'm fine btw. My Bianchi frame is toast, but everything on it is fine.
I'll be riding the train for a few months though as it looks like my
left wrist may need surgery.

\\paul

Glad it wasn't worse. Sorry about your ride. And hopefully the wrist
isn't too bad to keep from riding again.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old November 5th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Hobson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Any witnesses? Police report? Description of vehicle and driver even if no
license plate number?

Witnesses? About 20. I got up off of the ground and read his license
out loud to him before all the other folks grabbed me and made me get
back on the ground. A man in a car across the street actually *filmed*
his car as he drove off (talk about lucky for me). When the police
arrived they ran the tag and it matched all of the witness descriptions.
They say that they're looking for him. I don't really know what that
means though.

I'm fine btw. My Bianchi frame is toast, but everything on it is
fine. I'll be riding the train for a few months though as it looks
like my left wrist may need surgery.

Totally sucks; sorry you got hit (and glad it wasn't worse)...

Thanks, Bill. I'm thankful for that and also glad that the witnesses
saw that I was going through a perfectly green light and he (going the
opposite direction) failed to yield to me. I had ridden only one mile
before this happened.

\\paul
Old November 5th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]

Get a lawyer and sue the **** out of him. If it had been a simple
accident, a "Oh, sh*t, the sun got in my eye, are you OK?!" kind of
thing, then of course not. This man sounds like a ****heel of grand
proportions. An example needs to be set. Hopefully he'll spend some
time in jail. There's the accident, braking the traffic laws, assault,
property damage, leaving the scene of an accident, and even failing to
provide aide if Georgia has "good samaritan" laws.

It's such a cut and dry case, that if it got them some newspaper time,
a lot of young lawyers might do this one pro bono for ya.

Make him hurt.

Old November 5th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Any witnesses? Police report? Description of vehicle and driver
even if no license plate number?

Witnesses? About 20. I got up off of the ground and read his license
out loud to him before all the other folks grabbed me and made me get
back on the ground. A man in a car across the street actually
*filmed* his car as he drove off (talk about lucky for me). When the
police arrived they ran the tag and it matched all of the witness
descriptions. They say that they're looking for him. I don't
really know what that means though.

Well, he really should be in jail by tonight. He'll probably cop to "I
panicked and just took off" and MAYBE get probation (with a suspended or
revoked license hopefully), but at the very least he should pay for your
surgery, pain and suffering, and a brand-new bike.

How about forcing him to speak at schools about safe riding around bad
drivers (he being a prime example)?!?

I'm fine btw. My Bianchi frame is toast, but everything on it is
fine. I'll be riding the train for a few months though as it looks
like my left wrist may need surgery.

Totally sucks; sorry you got hit (and glad it wasn't worse)...

Thanks, Bill. I'm thankful for that and also glad that the witnesses
saw that I was going through a perfectly green light and he (going the
opposite direction) failed to yield to me. I had ridden only one mile
before this happened.

Hope you recover fully, Paul. Good luck.

BS (no, really )

Old November 5th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

landotter wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]

Makes you wonder if something else was going on, as well. Alcohol?
Drugs? No license? No insurance? An illegal (and I'm not singling out
illegals, just suggesting it might make the guy flee the scene)?

Hitting Paul is one thing, leaving the scene is quite another. I do
hope they track him down; a stretch in the slammer is in order.

Old November 6th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

"Paul Hobson" wrote in message

Witnesses? About 20. I got up off of the ground and read his license out
loud to him before all the other folks grabbed me and made me get back on
the ground. A man in a car across the street actually *filmed* his car as
he drove off (talk about lucky for me). When the police arrived they ran
the tag and it matched all of the witness descriptions. They say that
they're looking for him. I don't really know what that means though.

This is an amazing story. Good luck on your recovery. Nail his ***.

Old November 6th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

Good luck on your recovery. I hope you are right handed.

Ted.

Let's Hope Not B. Lafferty Racing 1 March 29th 06 07:32 PM
Hope to Sheffield Not Responding UK 6 November 17th 05 11:09 AM
Wheels- Hope they will be OK... Tony B UK 12 May 2nd 05 08:36 PM
Hope m4's pauline burlison Mountain Biking 3 September 2nd 04 04:44 AM
Hope for the future? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 33 February 23rd 04 05:52 PM