RAGBRAI

Old July 26th 08, 12:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default RAGBRAI

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Guy Anderson, Sr. wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:18:46 -0700 (PDT), Kurgan Gringioni
wrote:

As for calling you a dumbass: you're a ****ing thinskin newbie. I call
everyone a dumbass. No exceptions. I am one too, for wasting time in
these forums.
PLONK!

Why do people have the need to make public their kill-filing of others?

I do not understand.

Sure you do. Not hard do understand....

I think the level of immaturity is hard to understand.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 26th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

On Jul 24, 11:19 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
Anyone who thinks drugs are OK needs to read the history of the Chinese
experiment with opium in the 19th century, which ended with the Boxer
Rebellion. The fact is that no society can long function if it is riddled
with pleasure drugs. That is because people end up doing nothing but drugs.
[...]

Dumbass -

Western Europe's relaxed attitude towards recreatiionals seems to be
working just fine.

In the US, a few of the drugs in the list are illegal, but most are
used w/ prescriptions and some (alcohol, nicotine, caffeine) are used
on a regular basis, perhaps by a majority of the population. Most
people learn how to deal with them just fine. The ones who cannot
usually have some sort of issue beyond drugs. The drug use is a
symptom something deeper.

Regardless, it is a fact that we live in a culture where most people
dope up regularly with something. Very few are totally clean.

What is totally clean?

- Alcohol
- Tobacco
- Aspirin

Bicycle cleaning solvent and lubricant fumes.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 26th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
Edward Dolan

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
[...]

Dumbass -

The only dumbass here is you.

That's a bunch of bull****.

Only a bull**** artist like you would know about that.

I know this empirically. I'm a musician. At least half of the local

community would flunk a random drug test. At least half. Maybe three
quarters. In general they function just fine, mostly restricting the
use to weekend nights.

Musicians are well known for being not only dopey, but dope heads. They are
frequently sexually depraved and degenerates as well. However, they
constitute the loony fringe in society as do all artists. I seriously doubt
that they function "just fine."

Some people do get addicted. IMO, it's usually a symptom of a deeper

chemical imbalance and the drug use in those people is a way of self-
medicating the problem.

You need to read some history books about societies that have freely allowed
recreational drug use. Such societies don't last long.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 26th 08, 02:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Jul 24, 4:14*pm, Michael Press wrote:

Extract morphine from opium, add two acetyl groups,
ride the white horse.

I wonder how I would look riding a white pony with a monkey on my back.
Old July 26th 08, 02:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jul 25, 6:13*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Europe baby. They're doing just fine.

BTW, most people in this country medicate also. Your assertion that
most people don't even drink alcohol is incorrect.

From:
http://ncadistore.samhsa.gov/catalog/facts.aspx?topic=3

Almost half of Americans aged 12 or older reported being current
drinkers of alcohol in the 2001 survey (48.3 percent). This translates
to an estimated 109 million people. Both the rate of alcohol use and
the number of drinkers increased from 2000, when 104 million, or 46.6
percent, of people aged 12 or older reported drinking in the past 30
days.

snipend

And that's just alcohol. There are a slew of other substances that
people partake of. I'll post other links if you continue to insist
that the majority of this country is squeaky clean substance free.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old July 26th 08, 04:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
Edward Dolan

[...]

Check out the Amsterdam scene the next time you are in the Netherlands. Even
the Swiss are getting messed up.

BTW, most people in this country medicate also. Your assertion that

most people don't even drink alcohol is incorrect.

http://ncadistore.samhsa.gov/catalog/facts.aspx?topic=3

Almost half of Americans aged 12 or older reported being current

drinkers of alcohol in the 2001 survey (48.3 percent). This translates
to an estimated 109 million people. Both the rate of alcohol use and
the number of drinkers increased from 2000, when 104 million, or 46.6
percent, of people aged 12 or older reported drinking in the past 30
days.

I suspect you and I hang out in different crowds. But even so, drinking
alcohol is sanctioned by Western societies. That is no reason for
introducing other recreational drugs. And 12 year old kids should not be
drinking anything except hot chocolate (cocoa).

Folks who drink to excess are a small minority. They are mostly scumbag
musicians like yourself I suspect. Europeans know how to drink better than
we do, but even so they have higher death rates from liver failure
(cirrhosis), especially the g.d. French.

And that's just alcohol. There are a slew of other substances that

people partake of. I'll post other links if you continue to insist
that the majority of this country is squeaky clean substance free.

I have never known anyone in my life who took drugs - other than alcohol of
course.

I will only go to your links if you will read a couple of books on the
Chinese experiment with opium in the 19th century which resulted in the
Boxer Rebellion. Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.

Old July 26th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Edward Dolan wrote:

I have never known anyone in my life who took drugs - other than
alcohol of course.

Don't forget nicotine.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 26th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
Edward Dolan

"William Asher" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

I have never known anyone in my life who took drugs - other than
alcohol of course.

Don't forget nicotine.

Yes, you are right of course, but nicotine does not really give much
pleasure if you ask me. I smoked for 10 years in my long lost youth, but it
seemed it was more a habit than anything else. Also it does not impact you
in any way provided it does not kill you in the end because of cancer, heart
disease, etc. Caffeine also falls into this class. I do not consider either
of them recreational drugs.

We are talking about recreational drugs that impact not only your life, but
the life of the society to which you belong. Nicotine is not in the same
class as alcohol or other similar type drugs that get you high or low.

I do not want to live in a society where recreational drugs are freely
available. I believe in the war on drugs - I just wish we could win it. It
would not bother me if we had to lock up 20% of the population due to drug
use if it would keep them off the streets.

Old July 26th 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

"Edward Dolan" wrote in
:

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Henry, the cognitive dissonance is too much for me. He's all yours.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 26th 08, 09:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.racing
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

What good will that do? I will kick his ass just the same as I kicked yours.
Jeez, maybe RBR really is full of nothing but dumbasses. Probably all that
racing **** makes you stupid.

RAGBRAI bluezfolk General 67 July 30th 08 04:49 AM
RAGBRAI bluezfolk Mountain Biking 33 July 29th 08 03:14 AM
RAGBRAI 2007 Mike A Schwab UK 7 August 6th 07 04:17 AM
Ragbrai wayde is a pirate Unicycling 2 May 24th 07 12:43 AM
Ragbrai? onewheeling Unicycling 3 March 26th 07 06:56 PM